Inline FabricationRepackboxTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Load DataRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Why not anymore 35 Rem bolt guns?

Boolit Master
    Remington at one time did a bolt action pistol in 35 Rem. Try and find one today and wait for sticker shock. Pretty sure they did one of the 600 or 660 bolt action rifles in this caliber as well. This is one caliber that I have dies, brass and factory ammo for but no firearm to shoot them in. Frank

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by catboat View Post
    Let's face it, how many Marlin 336's in 35 Rem do you see being shot (or made) these days? If the 35 Rem isn't showing up in Marlin's line up (a true classic pairing of the 336 and the 35 Rem like "peas and carrots"), it's not going to be showing up anywhere in production runs.
    I see a lot of them. But it’s still a popular cartridge in the North East. It hasn’t faded away because it flat out performs in the thick forests around here. I know it’s not popular in most of the country and the rifles are hard to find. But it’s hard to find a family that doesn’t have a 35 Remington 336 in the safe. Same goes for a Remington 760/7600 Gamemaster. Another regional favorite that doesn’t get any love outside this area.

Marlin is still producing the 336 in 35 Remington. The only one currently cataloged is the 336C. They don’t make as many variants as they used to.

Boolit Buddy
    I wish someone would make another rifle in this gem of a round. Even if it was limited build. Anything to help get the brass and components back down to better prices and easier to find.

Boolit Grand Master
    I don't think the 35 Rem xp-100 bolt face is any different from the 308 bolt face. IIRC, the head diameters are only 0.012" different, .460" vs .473". Always though when Remington brought out the 673 in 350mag, since they had 35 cal. barrels, they could have just used a 308 bf bolt and chambered some guns for 35 Rem.

I have a Marlin 35R and it is a good rifle and takes deer well. As for paying anything extra to get one in a bolt action, I don't feel the cartridge itself is worth it. I like bolt actions and lever actions but each has its place. The Marlin is a light handy brush rifle. It works well for deer and black bear. Some used it on bigger stuff. Marlins carry well, maybe easier than a bolt.

Bolt actions are also great, but I prefer them for my stands overlooking fields and in situations where I may have a longer shot. Why a 35R in that configuration when any 308 based caliber is better and more common. If we were to give it serious thought, caliber is not all that important. There is nothing really magical about most calibers. I could find a less expensive alternative that would work as well in a bolt action in a more common caliber. Nothing wrong with the 35R but nothing magic either.

Hornady makes 35R brass for reloading which is available at MidwayUSA. The Hornady LE's work fine out of my Marlin.

DEP

Boolit Master
    Simple answer, they don't think they will sell. They are probably right. There is the 358Win, great round and it dosen't sell either. Maybe if they renamed it 9mm Rhinoceros or 9x51Tatacal they would sell. Sadly neither the 35Rem or 358Win have the marketing appeal in todays climate.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Buddy
    I have two Marlins in 35 Rem: a 336ADL, and a 336C. This summer I treated myself to a Traditions Outfitter G2 35 Rem single as a candidate for cast bullet loads. Guess you could say I like the 35 Rem as well as the other non magnum 35s. I have no real need for any of them inasmuch as I don't hunt anymore. I just like reloading and shooting them. They are relatively inexpensive to feed and if the deer hunting virus struck me again, I would not feel under gunned.

I don't think of myself as a visionary but even in the late 70's when I bought my first Marlin 35, I noticed that ammo and components were becoming less available. The compulsive hoarder in me kicked in and I scooped up every carton of once fired brass that I could find at local gun shops. Last winter one of the major suppliers of reloading components had a sale on 35 Rem brass (Jamison brand I think). I scooped up 150 rnds of that virgin brass for future use. So as far as feeding my 35's I am all set. 357 pistol bullets work just fine for casual shooting, but since this forum is cast bullet oriented, I cant think of a better hunting cast bullet for the 35 Rem than the RCBS 35-200 GC or the variations available.

The original topic here is the unavailability of 35 Rem bolt rifles and I would agree with some of the posters that there is still the 358 Winchester. Though never a wildly popular cartridge it is still available from Browning . As far as reloading components, a plentiful supply of 308 Win brass and RCBS 358 Win dies (tapered expanding button) and you have all the 358 Win brass you want. Starline now produces 358 brass.

So there are no new 35 Rem bolt rifles made but there are new alternatives available today.
    Last edited by 8mm; 12-14-2018 at 04:23 AM. Reason: content error

Boolit Master

A lot of people opt for bigger is better and chose a 7 mm magnum, 300 magnum or the 375 magnum to kill a punny little deer. When a 30-30 or 35 Remington is the right medicine!
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Banned

Doesn't CVA make their break open single shots in .35 Remington?

If I didn't have a 30-30 and a 38-55 lever action, I'd have a .35 Rem lever action. If I didn't have a Mauser bolt action 30-30, I'd have a Mauser bolt action.35 Rem. It is one of the best and it just may be a JMB design.....

Boolit Master
    I still have my old ancient Remington Model 8 in .35 Rem caliber. I used to use it for pig hunting a lot and bear hunting years ago too. But I think that there are more current calibers that work as well if not better nowadays. So the manufacturers have little incentive to make more rifles for it or even ammunition much anymore. Not many LGSs or even the big box stores stock the ammo for it now. Wal Mart maybe 20 years ago had a clearance sale on .35 Rem ammo, I bought all of the boxes they had at the time. I think I remember seeing some ammo at Cabelas out here a while back, but I haven't looked recently though. I think it is still a good short range brush gun cartridge though. Like someone said already, it is still fairly popular in the North East.

I can buy ammo at the local Fleet hardware store. Only had trouble one year buying ammo and at that time you could not even order it from outfits like Midway. Hornady started loading for it and its as good of ammo as any. I think a Marlin 336 using Hornady ammo kind of trumps a bolt action 35R anyway and I saw a new built one on the shelves a while back. Those that had bolt action 35's were loading them with spitzers and heavier bullets and souping them up a bit over the levers. However, the spitzer bullets in a 35 may have not performed as well as desired. I see some load spitzer bullets for the 30-30 and only load 2 or in bolt actions, but I question that as those bullets are made for faster cartridges.

My daughter uses a 300 Savage I fixed up for her and I am not sure that the spitzer bullets for that work as well as they could. I see Hornady is making 300 Savage spitzers and may get her some of them. I loaded 30-30 bullets in the Savage for her at slightly reduced speeds but hotter than a 30-30 and they were very effective. That might be an issue with a bolt action 35. One is best off using bullets engineered for a 35R and as such there is no real gain in using one. What would one do that a lightweight 308 would not do except cost more to shoot?

I like the Marlin 35R and they are pretty accurate.

DEP

Boolit Grand Master

The only time there’s no ammo for it on the shelves is a few weeks around hunting season. Even then you just have to got to another store to find it. It’s certainly a regional cartridge. There’s no shortage of 300 Savage either as it’s another popular cartridge. Not to the extent of the newer cartridges but as the parent of the 308 it has a deserving place in anyone’s safe. Especially if it’s a Savage 99

Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    I don't think the 35 Rem xp-100 bolt face is any different from the 308 bolt face. IIRC, the head diameters are only 0.012" different, .460" vs .473". Always though when Remington brought out the 673 in 350mag, since they had 35 cal. barrels, they could have just used a 308 bf bolt and chambered some guns for 35 Rem.
    Your correct rockrat , on my model 600 the bolt face will accept and hold a 308 (.473) dia case rim without issue
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

A .35 Remington model 788 would have been fun. So would a .358!

As I said 6 years ago when I started this thread it I ever find a donor model 7 action cheap it will become a 35 Rem with a 20-22" barrel

As you know by now, cheap model 7 actions(or rifles) are Unicornish.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by izzyjoe View Post
    i don't know why they stopped making them, i've alway's liked the look's of the Rem 600, the one with the rib barrel, i'd love to have one in 35 rem.
    You and I are in a particularly small minority. I bought my 600 in 1965 and I still think its looks are the "cats meow" with that rib barrel. Mine is in 6mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    As you know by now, cheap model 7 actions(or rifles) are Unicornish.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Yes indeed they are I had two of them in the past but we parted ways one was a 7-08 and the other a stainless 308 .
    Might be cheaper to find a 600/660 Mohawk in 308 and have it rebored to 358 or even the 6mm bored out to 35 to make a 9x57 in a round about way

Banned
    PERHAPS as someone once said to me,,,,, IF the bolt head can use both calibers, and the cartridge can fit inside the action,,, a really low cost savage axis can be turned into something useful now and then with a new barrel.

The .358 Win does seem to be a rather interesting cartridge. Just how well does it work with 148 grain wadcutters?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast