Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingWidenersRepackbox
RotoMetals2Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Why not anymore 35 Rem bolt guns?

Why not anymore 35 Rem bolt guns?

Ive been following this GB auction out of curiosity since I'm lucky enough to own one of these fine rifles in 35 rem http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=308375901

I was amazed at what It got to ! Now to my question ,Why isnt anyone making a short light carbine like these anymore in 35 Rem.? The remington model 7 action seems like a perfect fit ,Add a 20 -22" barrel and you would have quite a potent hunting rifle in a slim and light package that would handle the needs as far as power and range of the majority of hunters in the field today especially the eastern side of the country. Maybe it would help if they marketed it as the ultra short, thin magnum the "35 USTM"
    Last edited by RU shooter; 10-02-2012 at 04:46 PM.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master
    Cause it does not travel at twice the speed of sound, and only drop 1/2" at 300 yards, clean the deer, and have it secured ready for transport. I will be the big 51 this week and I am real glad I am not influened by the gun rags. If you watch TV, it takes $1500 dollars worth of gear to bag a turkey. I have way to much of the production stuff, but I usually require building what I want now. It is not the cheapest route, but you end up with exactly what you had in mind. What about a cheap 700 from some rack with .30 cal bolt face, Sako mod the extractor. Cartridge tail only .013" smaller. After fire form cases and with boolits might just make you giggle! Gtek

Quote Originally Posted by excess650 View Post
    The old 35 doesn't get much respect because it has been loaded to low pressures for some old weak rifles.

If you look at Ranch Dog's load data, the 35Rem only gives up 100fps to the 356 Winchester when both are loaded to the same pressure level and same weight boolits. Most of his 40Kpsi loads are in excess of 2200fps, and the top velocity getters are knockin' on 2400fps from a 20" barrel.

I know a guy with a cast boolit silhouette rifle in 35 Rem, and its on an old Rem 722 action.
    Your right, I have those RD load pages saved for further reference quite a bit warmer compared to common loading manuals , Ive loaded mine up fairly warm with jacketed bullets but a light 6 lb rifle takes the joy out of it fairly quick so I stick to mostly standard loads I dont think that extra 2-300 fps is gonna make them animals any more dead.

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

why buy a .35 remington when I can stick a .358 in the same sized action and use military brass?

That's near as I can figure the reasoning. Sadly I have no .35 remingtons in my gun room since I gave our father's marlin to my brother. I have a plan...... and a 95 mauser action.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Boolit Master
    I've been playing with my .35 Rem 336 a lot here lately and have actually been considering having LH Savage SA rebarreled and chambered for .35 Remington. Its an outstanding cartridge!

Boolit Bub
    I love the 35 remington as well, just bought a new 336 marlin, yet to fire it.

Boolit Master
    i don't know why they stopped making them, i've alway's liked the look's of the Rem 600, the one with the rib barrel, i'd love to have one in 35 rem.

Banned

Its a personal thing but ive just never wrapped myself around the need for a bolt in 35 3030 or something like the 44 mag. A lever gun in those calibers can be just as accurate, is better handling and has much more firepower. Plus they are much cooler.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by fatnhappy View Post
    why buy a .35 remington when I can stick a .358 in the same sized action and use military brass?

That's near as I can figure the reasoning. Sadly I have no .35 remingtons in my gun room since I gave our father's marlin to my brother. I have a plan...... and a 95 mauser action.
    Yeah, it kinda steals its thunder as a bolt gun. 358 can easily be down loaded just a touch and put you in 35 remington territory. The 35R is getting harder and harder to find brass for (at least its expensive) and I have not found any made by the better quality brass manufacturers.
    The 358 is just easier in every way.
    However, if you really want a short, handy, bolt gun in 35 Remington, I know somebody who can make it happen.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Master
    That is a cool looking gun. I don't think I have ever seen one for real. $1100 is a lot for a deer rifle.
    The.35 Rem I have is a Model 141 pump gun. Nice gun to hunt with, handy and quick.

Boolit Master
    i remember back in the day the 91,93 and 95 mausers were rebarreled in .35 alot. i guess there are still some of them floating around killing deer and black bear.

Boolit Master at heavens range
    I had one gun with 4 barrels, 1-17 twist,1-14,1-12 and 1-10, Go in 1-12 for all bullets, 1-10 for 300 Grs. +, Joe

Quote Originally Posted by cuzinbruce View Post
    That is a cool looking gun. I don't think I have ever seen one for real. $1100 is a lot for a deer rifle.
    The.35 Rem I have is a Model 141 pump gun. Nice gun to hunt with, handy and quick.
    Yep there a little different than the normal . I would imagine the price went that high as it's in real clean shape and they only made around 3 thousand in that caliber and it was on made for two years I believe 1963/64, mines got a sn in the nine hundred something range. But it's not in that original condition as my dad removed the vent rib from it .

Boolit Master

.35 Rem

RU -

Howdy !

Once saw a Remington "Custom Shop" M700KS, chambered in .35Rem.
    This was back when the M7 action was pretty new. They had a $1,100 price tag on it, then !!

An XP-100 chambered in .35 Rem, would make a great starting point for build-up of a .35Rem bolt gun. An M7 also makes sense, as mentioned previous by others

IMHO:
    With today's M-336 XLR's having a 24" barrel, the .35Rem of this century is nearly a whole new deal. One would have to want a bolt gun for some specific reason(s), when the .35Rem XLR already shoots so well ( mine sure does ).

With regards,
    357Mag

Or what about a good pump action?

Boolit Grand Master

Or go find you an old Remington model 8 semi-auto humpback rifle? (gotta get me one someday)
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by goodsteel View Post
    Or go find you an old Remington model 8 semi-auto humpback rifle? (gotta get me one someday)
    that and the model 81 are dandy rifle's, rem made several pump rifles in 35 rem. the 141, 760. Rem. offer a model 7 in 35 rem in the custom shop, but the price is crazy high!

I too like the 35 rem had a 336 marlin and really liked it..don't know why I ever sold it.
    Which brings us to the question of bolt gun, if there was a demand they would.
    One can always load a 358 win down but you can't load the 35 up to that point.
    35s are not terribly popular anyway so a niche for a 35 rem in a bolt just doesn't
    seem likely. Why don't more 280 rems get chambered? That's a much under
    appreciated and useful caliber?? and on and on with many great but now obsolete
    calibers: If there was a market niche they would have one. There is always custom.
    Just be very careful choosing a custom gunsmith..They are not all created equal...
    I got taken by one up in Maine building a 350 rem mag. for me. Later learned he had
    been doing this to a lot of people..with impunity.. do a little research first.
    Last edited by o6Patient; 01-02-2013 at 11:17 AM.

Boolit Master
    I would have to agree with the 358 Winchester for a bolt gun, plenty of 308 Winchester brass.

Quote Originally Posted by smokemjoe View Post
    I had one gun with 4 barrels, 1-17 twist,1-14,1-12 and 1-10, Go in 1-12 for all bullets, 1-10 for 300 Grs. +, Joe
    Hey I have a rifle JUST like that.
    It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.

Theodore Roosevelt

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast