Inline FabricationReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWideners
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ACTIV reloading data -here

Boolit Master

ACTIV reloading data -here

The subject of activ hull data comes up on occasion. Last night I found my Activ reloading booklet. I will put the 6 scanned pages here.

There is not T-42 data in the booklet. Reducing by 5% the data for the Remington RP12 and SP12 wad works when subing the T-42--in 1 3/8 & 1 1/2 oz loads in AA hulls. FWIW.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tuesday, October 02, 2012 (7).jpg   Tuesday, October 02, 2012 (8).jpg   Tuesday, October 02, 2012 (9).jpg  
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Boolit Master
    the last 3
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tuesday, October 02, 2012 (10).jpg   Tuesday, October 02, 2012 (11).jpg   Tuesday, October 02, 2012 (12).jpg  
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Banned
    Good morning Ruger, very nice of you to post the data as I know it will help shooters looking for it.
    Thank you, I took the liberty of downloading it to correct and improve its legibility:

Ajay
    BlazingSabots@Gmail.com
    Blazing Sabots, LLC
    www.BlazingSabots.com
    www.PreciousVideoMemories.com

Boolit Master
    Is Activ still,, errr,, active? I've still got a few of the hulls here from the test kits I ordered must have been 20 years ago. IIRC they held up about as good as AA or RXP.

Who else remembers when the ammo makers sucked up to us reloaders? Win. and Rem. had an ad campaign touting the reloading life of their premium hulls, AA from Win and RXP from Remington.

The latest incarnations of the AA are now two piece construction but look to have the same indernal dimensions and capacity as the AA of yore and the Remington "Gun Club" duplicates the RXP about as well.

I haven't seen a lot of data for these steel cased cousins of the old reliables. Just ordered a Lyman #5 Shotshell Handbook. I'm hoping it has data for them as I have a couple clay bird boxes full in 12 & 20. I know they can rust but they should go a few loadings and they were free.

Boolit Master
    Thanks VdoMemorie. I don't know what happened. I scanned them at a higher quality, but when I uploaded they uploaded at 20% of the file size.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Is Activ still,, errr,, active? I've still got a few of the hulls here from the test kits I ordered must have been 20 years ago.
    Alan - ACTIV, made in W Virgina, was bought by Fiocchi in 1987. The product line was discontinued

Other than my once fired hulls, I bought all of the last bags of 20 and 12ga new hulls and wads that Ballistics Products could find in their warehouse. Still shoot ACTIV reloads
    IMHO - the best shot shell ever made!
    Last edited by John Boy; 10-03-2012 at 09:30 AM.
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    Activ was able to put 2 1/4 oz. of nickel plated shot into their 3" Penetrator loads. They were great out here in Nebraska where turkeys don't like going into the woods when they can stand out in the middle of a pasture and look for you.

When the local K-Mart put the 2 3/4" on clearance, my uncle and I bought all they had at $2.50 a box of 25. That was before steel shot was mandated, so we shot a lot of those up in the duck blind.

Speaking of ACTIV, has anyone ever actually saw 16GA ACTIV hulls?

Boolit Master

I'm with you John. Those things go on forever. I have some I must have reloaded 20 times or more till they start to split and turn black. No need to resize and you could take them on a duck hunt without a worry of the brass turning.

Boolit Master SPRINGFIELDM141972's Avatar
    I just picked up almost a full box of 12 ga. Activs at the range the other day. I have no real use for them, but couldn't leave them lay there. lol

I hadn't ever seen them except in advertisements along time ago.

Regards,
    Everett
    "There's a reason John Browning's middle name is Moses."

Boolit Master
    The problem with that old data is that some of the powders listed are no longer made. Pearl Scot, 452AA, HS-7.. all of them have gone the way of Activ hulls..

They were good hulls.. as good as Old style AA's.

16 ga active hulls...you mean like these?...new and never loaded...yet!

Didn't add notification so it's a month later, but at least I know they exist. Never personally saw component 20 gauge hulls either. I wish someone would make these hulls again. The patents have to be expired by now or Fiocchi could make them under the right name even.

Boolit Master
    Got a new (1st edition, 1996) Hodgdon Shotshell Manual. It was good to see that they had Activ data for Clays, International, and Universal.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	activ 12ga.JPG 
Views:	646 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	57258Click image for larger version. 

Name:	activ 12ga-2.JPG 
Views:	437 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	57259
    Some of the quality gets lost in translation. There was also some 16ga and 20ga data.

Boolit Master

Thanks for the data. I have a few Active hulls, WAA12 wads and Unique laying around. Now to load them.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Boolit Master
    I found that the WAA12 wads in the Activ hulls acted like WAA12F114 wads in the AA's and I had to use the 1 oz wads in Activs to load 1 1/8 oz of lead.. Activs had a LOT more room internally compared to the old style Win AA hulls.

Boolit Bub
    Reviving an old thread on my first post...

I can't make out the shot weights on this. What are the 4 shot load weights listed for 12 gauge 2-3/4" data for Activ Hulls/non Activ wads on page 16 above?

Looking at -

3-3/4 Drams 1-?/? RED VERS. CCI209 PB 28.5 grains 1330 fps
    4 Drams 1-?/? SP12 CCI209 SR4756 34.5 grains 1350 fps
    Last edited by wildflilghts; 08-13-2013 at 07:21 PM.

Boolit Master

I was able to buy 500 12 ga hulls a couple of months ago. I use to love them in the 70's for their ease of reloading. They are harder plastic than federals, not quite as hard as AA's, crimp beautifully with about the same internals as a federal hull and I've been loading them accordingly. I've loaded one bunch about 10 times recently with slugs and roundballs - cut one off in fact , to check it from the inside and they are still in decent shape. A technology that was ahead of it's time, it seems to me. Would love to pick up another lot----any gauge. PM me anybody who wants to get rid of some.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wildflilghts View Post
    Reviving an old thread on my first post...

I can't make out the shot weights on this. What are the 4 shot load weights listed for 12 gauge 2-3/4" data for Activ Hulls/non Activ wads on page 16 above?

Looking at -

3-3/4 Drams 1-1/4 RED VERS. CCI209 PB 28.5 grains 1330 fps
    4 Drams 1-3/8 SP12 CCI209 SR4756 34.5 grains 1350 fps

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by 375ruger View Post
    thank you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast