Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee Precision
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationWideners
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2400 loads for 45 acp?

Boolit Bub

2400 loads for 45 acp?

Any body have any 45acp loads using 2400,that they would like to share? i have a lot of 2400 and hope it can be used in a 45acp. thanks Wayne h

Boolit Master

Maybe somebody will chime in. I've always been under the impression that 2400 was too slow and bulky for the relatively small .45 ACP case. Maybe with heavier bullets, seated out, and used in a revolver. Have you checked the Alliant web site to see what they recommend?

There are many better powders for .45 ACP, all of which are much faster burning and take relatively small charge weights to get good performance.

2400 would work pretty good in a .45 Colt, much bigger case to work with.

I don't know what to tell you on this. 2400 is a little slow when it comes to pistol powders, and is probably to slow for good performance in a .45ACP. It might work but, I don't think your velocity would be good unless maybe in a carbine length barrel. Others with a lot more experience in ACP will have better answers. Some good powders would be 231, Unique, Herco, Bullseye, HS5, and theres others.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Boolit Grand Master
    2400 isn't going to be a good powder for 45 ACP.

Boolit Master
    I have used 2400 in the 45 acp. Kinda dirty but it will work.
    PM me if you want to discuss it.
    I don't want to upset the others on here.

Boolit Master

Out of curiosity I checked the Alliant website. They don't list 2400 in .45 ACP for any bullet but they do list 15.4 grs with a 260 gr Speer LSWC in .45 Long Colt and 15.0 w/a Speer 250 gr GDHP.

Is it just me, or does it seem like they've trimmed back the on-line listings? I have a printed Alliance booklet that has way more listings of powders and cartridges.

Boolit Grand Master
    I never said it can't work, just that it isn't the best choice. Big difference.

Personally, I would use something else in the 45 ACP and save the 2400 for a different cartridge.

Boolit Master
    Might find a local member willing to do a swap for a faster powder.

Boolit Master
    As I said I have used it and it will work.
    PM me if you want to discuss it.
    Dirty though not economical.

Boolit Master

I know a lot of folks like 296/H-110 for magnum loads but I like 2400 a lot for .357, 41 mag, and .44 mag.

It does seem to be dirtier than a lot of powders, but I figure that's why somebody invented cleaning rods and brushes. LOL

Banned

i have seen blue got used in the 45 acp.
    in fact that's what dick casull uses.
    you need a 22-24 lb spring for the gun but it works.

Folks load lots of ammo, that is far from the best way to do things. The result is patchwork, make do, slap-dash, thrown together stuff that goes bang and hurls a projectile out of the barrel. If this is your goal, then use your 2400 in the 45 ACP round.

If your goal is load good quality 45 ACP ammo, then change powders to something quicker. Bullseye, 231, Unque, AA5 and many others are far better suited to the task.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=138531 Some facts instead of the usual blah,blah...GT27
    You can't buy common sense,and stupidity can't be fixed!

Boolit Master
    2400, while not the "best" powder for the 45 ACP will do fairly well in it.
    I ransom rested some at one time and while dirty (leaving grains) and not efficient it can be used to develope some decnt loads.
    I have also used AA#9 and H110.
    Veral Smith has made some posts on Graybeards outdoors on using AA#9 and H110 in a 45 ACP.
    Of the 3 I would rather use 2400. But as said before there are better powders for the task.
    But 2400 will do a decent job just not the "best" job.

Now that aspect of it Has Been Established to the satisfaction of all.

Quote Originally Posted by GT27 View Post
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=138531 Some facts instead of the usual blah,blah...GT27
    Well, the are asserted facts and opinion passed of as facts in that thread, but few if any proven facts.

When it is all over, the bottom line in some folks load 2400 in the 45 ACP round, but even they say it is not the best idea or way to go.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    Whenit coms to ballistics and anything else that pertains to ammo there are few facts. If they were ammo loading books that were produced years a go would relivent today. Evedentally they aren't because newer one come out ever so often with different charge weights of the same powders for the same bullet weights.
    If one is looking for concrete data that is factual across the board before they load anything one will not be loading.
    Ever pull a couple factory loads in yur favorite caliber that are 2 different lot numbers?
    What are the chance both will have the same amount of powder?
    Ever chrono 2 lots of the same powder with all other components being the same back to back?
    I have done that and sometimes it is an eye opener. one powder was 80 fps different another was over 100 fps.
    I have data on two different lots of 2400 where the difference was close to 70 fps.
    Has anyone ever checked the difference between different lots of primers with all other components being the same?
    Try it.
    Then there are proven FACTS?
    Most reloaders need to get real. This is an ever changing undertaking. Even with the ballistic labs.
    What may be a fact at 13:00 hours today in a quaint ballistic lab somewhere in the USA most likely won't be at 13:00 hours on 10-15-12. could be close but it won't a repeated fact unless lady luck is doing the testing
    So with that being said if the labs cannot give "FACTS" how can the lowly reloader with what he has?
    Load data is given on forums alot. Do we not trust anyone????? Just because someone is a revered poster that people "think" is the cats meow do you take their word and never question it?
    Facts? Facts? Where are they?

Boolit Master
    Another thing. Ever have the powder measure set for one lot of powder get low or run out and then check the weight of the other lot?
    What did you get? The same or different?
    Wonder if some beginner reloader has ever gotten low and dumped some of the same number powder but differnt lot number in and still kept on loading without checking?
    They must think that there are facts in reloading.
    This is just showing there are few if any facts in loading ammo.
    Except one has to be careful.

There is no need to debate what is fact and what is not fact and all of the shades of facts. I will just say that I have noticed on this site folks tend to play fast and loose with the concept of "facts".

I always have a disclaimer at the bottom of every post, so folks will know I am talking about my experience, understanding and opinions. I never claim anything I post to be any kind of absolute fact. I am not that arrogant, therefore I want all to know where I am coming from.

There are many, many dispute on this board that are presented a "battle of the facts", when they are but a "battle of opinions".

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Yeah, Charles, that's correct. Facts are limitations of truth, and therefore can only be representations of such as commonly agreed upon by man. Otherwise, there should be no difference between the two terms, fact and truth. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Master
    Truth is a perception. Based on what we choose to believe. If we had confidence in out Dad and he told us that he killed a squirrel art 200 yards offhand with his trusty 22 RF shooting Remington Short HP's while the squirrel was on a dead run in a tree 200 feet tall we have a tendancy to believe that is the truth even though there is no evidence to back it up except his word.
    Fact should or will be backed up with data or witnesses or a combination of both.
    The fact that a combination of components delivered a certain result on 13:00hours today only means that was a "fact" at that time. Nothing more. Now if our perception is that is the " truth" today and tomorrow and ten years from now that is based on our perception of the fact at that time holding "true" extended into future time.
    "Fact" should be reasonably provable while" truth" can be based on perception or fact or a combination of both or just on gut feeling.
    Fast and loose is also a perception. to a person that is scared out of his witts to drive around a certain curve at 40 miles per hour may say a person that drives around that curve at 50 is playing "fast and loose" with his safety even though 50 may still be below a reasonable safety margin for the taking of said curve.
    Perception Perception again perception.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast