Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingRepackboxLoad DataWideners
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: Cast in a 40 glock

Boolit Bub

Cast in a 40 glock

Well Lord help me. Just started reloading 40 S&W for a glock 22. Loaded a box of plated copper semi J words. Have not fired one yet, Going to try them if I get to the range later today. Already got online and ordered a 6 gang Lee 175 mold and sizer. Going to try the original barrel at first. Have read all the fuss about cast in a glock 40. Can't be that bad if you know what you are doing.

Loaded up the box of plated 155 grain with 7.1 grains of AA #5. Not sure where I will start out with the cast boolits once the mold gets here.

Will report back here with results. Any advice is welcome.

Thanks

Boolit Master
    My advice: Check out the 10mm/40sw WFN mold group buy. I designed a boolit and I'm having Miha make them. They should put the Lee molds to shame.

Boolit Master
    Watch OAL, it's been a little while since I've loaded #5 but sounds a little warm.
    I've shot cast 155s and 180s for many years with the original barrels with no problems. Keep an eye out for leading when you start and don't go crazy with HOT loads and you will be fine.
    My favorite load is 3.8gr of CLAYS and a NOE 160gr RN boolit.
    Good luck

Boolit Master

I loaded the 175gr. Lee TC bullet over 5gr. Bullseye. Runs like a champ in the .40.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Buddy
    I use the Lee 175gr also with 4.7gr 231. I put one of those Storm Lake barrels on my Glock 23, Puts em in the same hole.

Boolit Bub
    First range trip with reloads went well. Hit to point of aim. Fed very smooth. No measurable set back on overall length feeding from the mag. Must admit, liking this glock more than I thought I would.

Banned

lee 175 has shot well in all my .40s including my 23.

I shoot 180gr lrn under 8.4gr of AA#7 in my G22. Very accurate with no leading.

I got a 2 hole version of the Lee 175 TC. Mine cast about 180 grains. I shoot them in 40 and 10 in my glocks.

My alloy is pretty soft and I get some leading with some powders.

Never tried any mold except Lee.
    Oreo, what difference would I see with another brand of mold?
    "The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed" — Ayn Rand

Boolit Master
    I have and still use quite a few lee molds and for the money, they are fine. But with the custom makers, Miha and NOE just off the top of my head, produce exacting tolerance molds and make casting hollow points a real pleasure. The custom mold makers are able to produce a superior product wich produces superior boolits. I have had several lee molds that either did not cast to size or did not cast to their supposed weight. I have never had that trouble with the custom guys. And when you contact a custom guy with a problem, they are very agreeable to make it right in a hurry. I called some of the production makers and they told me that their molds were "within tolerance". Their "tolerance" did not help me with my problem.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Boolit Grand Master
    I haven't run castings in my Glock 40s (yet) without using an aftermarket barrel.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Bub
    I backed off the AA#5 charge weight to 6.5 grains. Gun barely ejected the empty brass. Caught one empty in the slide. It has a new standard weight spring. Shot about 100 that way. Bumped the charge back up to 7.1 grains and loaded the rest of the barrys 155 plated I had. Got the mold in. Going to cast soon.

Boolit Master
    I'm interested in the OP's experience with cast, because I just bought the exact same gun. I'm saving my pennies for an aftermarket barrel, both for shooting cast and to obtain full support in the chamber. Kinda makes me wonder why everyone but Glock can build a barrel that fully supports the chambers for their guns. Guess there haven't been enough lawsuits yet.

I figure that I can either spend between $35-75 for a Redding GRX base sizer, or $110-165 for an aftermarket barrel. Since it takes much less time to swap a barrel than it does to size a few thousand pieces of brass, I think I'll buy the barrel.

Guess I hijacked this thread!
    Last edited by nicholst55; 09-29-2012 at 12:45 PM.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    I have been running my Glock 22 for upsa for a little over a year now and many thousands rounds. Since I only need 125 power factor I run the 40's rather light. Just 3.7gr of wst and the Lee 175 TC at about 810fps. Good accuracy, does not eject empty's very far 100% reliability. Cleans great also with just a few passes of the brush. I clean my Glock barrels after every outing and it only takes a couple minutes. With the G22 I have storm lake 9mm conversion and a storm lake 40cal. I tried the Glock 40 barrelel and it leaded up in only 50 rounds.

Great thing about my glock 22 and casting is I can load up all my mags, goto the target range and run about 250 rounds of 40. Than after a few minutes to cool down pop in the 9mm barrel and run another 250 rounds. Plus when I get primers for $30 per 1k and powder for $20 per pound it makes for rather cheap ammo at less than $50 per 1k.

For moderate light rounds wst is great in the 40, it also runs great in the 45acp. Bullseye runs good also in the 9mm/40 Glock22.

I do not know why my Glock factory barrel is so crappy with cast, my guess is the fast twist and type of rifling. Keep in mind they make their barrels for 100% reliability. Not for making a target gun.

For what its worth my Glock21SF is great on cast. Its even better than my Storm lake 22 barrels.

Quote Originally Posted by nicholst55 View Post
    I'm interested in the OP's experience with cast, because I just bought the exact same gun. I'm saving my pennies for an aftermarket barrel, both for shooting cast and to obtain full support in the chamber. Kinda makes me wonder why everyone but Glock can build a barrel that fully supports the chambers for their guns. Guess there haven't been enough lawsuits yet.

I figure that I can either spend between $35-75 for a Redding GRX base sizer, or $110-165 for an aftermarket barrel. Since it takes much less time to swap a barrel than it does to size a few thousand pieces of brass, I think I'll buy the barrel.

Guess I hijacked this thread!

Boolit Bub
    First range trip with lead. Shot a clip full after sighting in a rifle. Keeping shots on target at 25 yards. Pistol seemed to screech with each shot. Was on an indoor rifle range, could be different acoustics. Maybe my imagination was running overdrive.

Using a soft half bees wax half Cisco style lube. Funny to shoot as it smokes, a lot.

Back home the barrel cleaned right up. There was small pieces of lead on the first couple of patches. Nothing big. Will try a full range session soon. Too cheap to buy a different barrel.