MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee PrecisionWideners
RepackboxReloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: colt gold cup

Boolit Buddy

colt gold cup

i have 80s colt gold cup that the front sight has come lose and has alot of play is this some thing that i can fix or do i need to take it to a gun smith?

Boolit Buddy
    Brownells sells a "staking" tool that is used to flare out the stud that secures the sight to the slide - sort of like a rivet. -Ed

Boolit Master

If you're only going to shoot 'softball' loads in your GC, (re)staking the front sight will probably work okay. If you're going to regularly shoot anything heavier...like 'hardball' or 'IPSC Major'...take it to a gunsmith and have the front sight soldered. I had two different staked front sights...the original and a replacement installed by an LE armorer...work loose on a Series 70 GC before I had it fixed permanently (about 40,000 rounds ago).

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master

If you would silver solder on the front sight wouldent you have to have the slide rebluded as you have to heat up the front of the slide for the silver solder to stick, which will destroy the blueing ?

Perhaps try restaking! if it doesent hold get a new stake on front sight or have the slide milled for a dovetail style front sight .

Boolit Grand Master

If it is just a tad loose, you MIGHT save it with red locktite. Green locktite would
    be better, VERY strong.

I use epoxy and then open up the rivet head area inside the slide and peen it
    properly. Never had one come off.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

Have it staked and at the same time, have a solid pin put in the rear sight. They're notorious for losing rear sights.

I've had four in my lifetime and lost two rear sights. Never any trouble with the fronts though. That was a problem on the old customized bullseye guns.

They're great shooters and worth the hassle./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Master
    I have a stainless series 80 Gold Cup that the front sight came off of while my wife was shooting it. In the middle of the mag, the sight came off and she stopped and asked what to do. I told her to put both of her thumbs up on the side of the slide and use them. She actually liked that better than using the sights. I still need to get that weapon fixed.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Boolit Buddy
    FWIW, the Colt Gold Cup was not intended for shooting hardball or anything close to "max" loads. The stated purpose was for "midrange" target loads. -Ed

Boolit Master

The springs and tuning in a Gold Cup are set up for wadcutter and mid-range loads. It was never intended to shoot "major factor" loads. If the front sight is staked properly and you shoot moderate loads, you should never have a problem. The rear sight pin seems to come out regardless of what you shoot. I would have the pin replaced before you have to hunt for the sight. Save time and trouble. LOL
    "with liberty and justice for all"...must be 18 or older, not available in all states, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply. D. Stanhope

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." George Mason Co-author of the Second Ammemdment

Boolit Buddy

Sightless Gold Cup

Got tired of the roll pin falling out of my Gold Cup rear sight so I had a smith weld the dovetail closed and he installed a Smith/ Wesson K frame adjustable sight. Got tired of the front sight coming loose so I had one Tig welded in place from the inside. Over 40 thousand rounds now without sight problems.

Boolit Master

I had the same problem with my Govt Series 80. Had a smith restake it. It lasted about a month (unknown round count, probably less than 300 rds). Shot 200 gr SWC over 5.0 gr bullseye.

Restaked it myself this time. Got the staking tool from Brownell's. Pulled the sight up and cleaned/degreased the tenon and the slot in the slide. Put some red Loctite and restaked it. Went slow and checked my work with a loupe to make sure I got a good mushroom.

Got about 500 rounds of 200 CWC over 5.7 gr American Select. Not moving yet. I am happy this far.
    Jeff

Boolit Grand Master
    For Ed S and KM 101......

I had always heard this info concerning the Gold Cups--that they were sprung and tuned for shooting wadcutter target-intensity loads. If this is the case, why are they equipped with the same 16# recoil spring found in the Government Models?

My own Series 80 example has reliably fired both H&G #68 clones and Lyman #452460 down to 4.5 grains of WW-231, giving about 760 FPS and gentle ejection. These are gentle in recoil and accurate as can be. 3 different 230 grainers run about 800 FPS with 4.8-5.0 grains of WW-231, and that is as hard as I've run the pistol with reloads to date. I did run 25 of my carry rounds--230 grain Ranger SXT--and these ran without a bobble, but are noticeably warmer--they clock 875-900 FPS from most 5" barrels, but are not "+P". I haven't and won't use the GC as a carry gun, I have 2 other 45 ACPs for that venue. So far, nothing has flown off the pistol in about 1200 rounds of firing.
    Last edited by 9.3X62AL; 10-01-2012 at 12:19 PM.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Banned

Most gold cups were shipped with two springs. One for target loads and one for ball.

Boolit Buddy
    No one is saying that you can't shoot hotter than "mid range" loads in a Colt Gold Cup. But, it was designed with a lighter slide (look inside) than the standard Government Model. I'm sure that those who know what they are doing can pick a set of springs to ease the rearward impact of the slide - but these springs may also accelerate the forward motion. Not saying that this would do any harm, just mentioning it. Personally, I use my National Match for bullseye practice with lighter boolit loads, and my Wilson Combat for heavier duty. -Ed

Boolit Master

NO 1 question why pay $ 1000 + to put hard ball in?? colt will re do it at no charge. I had the rear pin move and took a center punch and put a very sharp point on it. put a "stake" in the center of the pin on both sides and hasnt moved
    As far as springs. the 16-18 lb spring will slow the rear movement. BUT it sure dont slow the front return.. understand ?? Say sure I do
    If you are going to put hot stuff in it
    go to Brownells and get the full mercury filled guide rod . It works both ways . not cheap but it saves a $1000 + gun

Boolit Buddy

High mileage on a Gold Cup ?

I would suggest just installing an 18 1/2 lb Wollf spring and ... shoot it. I have over 50 thousand rounds of full throttle rounds of 5.7 of 231 over an H&G 68 through my Gold Cup and it is still running. I change the spring every 5 or 6 thousand rounds.

Boolit Grand Master
    Those of you talking about the "National Match" Gold Cup vs the Series 70 or 80 Gold Cups. The former were indeed built with lightweight slides for use in the "softball" matches... 45 wadcutters. The latter (at least in my experience) are not lightened in the same way, rather the top has a built up rib making them actually a bit heavier. Everybody is right, it's just that we're talking about different guns!

Froggie

Boolit Master

Green Frog has it right. The older National Matches and early Gold Cups had lighter slides,but by the time we got to the Series 70s they were basically Government Models with wide triggers, angled serrations and adjustable sights.

In 1965 I bought a new Colt Gold Cup. The the top of the slide was ribbed, it had adjustable sights and a long trigger adjustable for overtravel. I did come with a softer recoil spring. I put a USGI recoil spring and fired thousands of hardball and handload equivelent loads with no problem.

I never pulled the slide to weigh it, but I never noticed it being any lighter than a Colt GM or USGI 1911A1 and I had several of each to compare. If indeed the slide was lighter, that fact was unknown to anybody I knew or read.

I killed several whitetail deer with this pistol with 452423 loaded over 4.8/BE. I also killed a truck load of smaller game over the years I had it.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Grand Master
    I tore the blue plastic box apart last night that the GC came in--no second spring found, or a recess/compartment where one could be located.

I'm not going to hammer the GC with hardball or my service loads. The Colt/Browning 1911-series platform is one incredibly strong platform, but that isn't justification for abusing it. I enjoy the pistol far too much to see it get stressed.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.