RotoMetals2WidenersLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dillon SDB for Lee Load-Master?

Boolit Master

Dillon SDB for Lee Load-Master?

I picked up a Dillon SDB set up for 9mm at a pretty good price. I have never used a Dillon press and have been using a Lyman Spar-T and Lee Pro-1000 and occasionally Rock chuckers for over 25 years. I am considering trading the Dillon for a Lee Load-Master. Am I crazy or should I make the extra investment in new dies & conversions for all the calibers I load?
    "If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master

If your going to be switching calibers a lot a Dillion 550 would be a good choice as it uses standard 7/14 dies were the SDB is more of designated caliber or rarely change machine. The LM is also a versatile machine. I had a LM and didn't care for it but many here have got them up and running smooth. So if you did run into any issues with the LM the guys here can help you work the bugs out. Lots of choices out there good luck and let us know what you decide. FB

Boolit Master
    I'd suggest taking the SDB for a test drive before trading it off..... I have one (with tool heads for 3 calibers, and a second priming system set so switching from large to small is three screws and done) and other than a small working window, I have no complaints. There are many who decide to have multiple presses and leave them set (one for 9mm and another for .45ACP for instance....)

BTW, I can't tell from your post, but you are aware that the SDB is a pistol only press, right? That being said, if you keep your eyes open, you can usually find caliber conversions being sold for @ $50, so that's pretty comparable to setting up standard carbide dies.

Dan

Banned

sorry but I wouldlnt trade a square deal for TWO loadmasters.

I have two Square Deals and love them. Dillon takes good care of them. I would use it for a while before I traded it off.
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

You would be crazy. If you just don't want a SD, sell it. Should be able to get around 80% of current new price.

Then buy a load master and put the rest of the money to good use by giving it to a charity.

+1 on all of these comments.

You need to learn about the machine by using it before you decide. And then you should decide to keep it.

AS far as tooling it up, I'd buy one set of dies for a caliber I use alot and then run it to familiarize myself.

This should be an enjoyable enough experience to convince you that you made the right choice.

If you want more then you'll have to decide to either buy more tooling or buy more SDB's.

I have 2, one set up for .45 ACP, and one set up for .40 S&W.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 500mag View Post
    am i crazy ?
    yes!!

The loadmaster is a much more versatile press. If you are used to using the Pro 1000 as you stated then you will likely find the sdb to be too slow anyway. I liked the pk1 better than the sdb because it was faster, but neither have the versatility of the loadmaster and bullet placement is perfect on the loadmaster. Since you are already used to the pk1 (the LM isn't that much more difficult to set up) and if you want a much more versatile press i would definitely trade.

If I still owned the three Loadmasters I've had, I'd trade you straight up for all of them....the priming system is a major problem...sell the Square Deal if it doesn't fit, take the money and put it towards something that does...I'd pass on the LM...

LM. You can get one from Titan Reloading for $214 plus shipping.
    and you could get $214 for a broken SD. Giving money away, if thats not crazy PM me and I'll give you my address.

Boolit Grand Master

My take is Dillon makes progressive presses and accessories for progressive presses. Lee makes everything related to reloading (kinda jack of all trades, master of none. Not Lee bashing, they make a lot of really good equipment). I would go with the manufacturer who specializes in progressive presses; aka Dillon...
    Last edited by mdi; 10-04-2012 at 01:05 PM.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Giving money away, if thats not crazy PM me
    Have you honestly ever even used both? since i have i consider most of the negativity with the LM to be internet garb, but i guess spreading rumors gives us a chance to add to our post count.

I have used both the pro and LM and own at least one of every Dillon currently. The negative comments on Lee presses generally comes from those of us that had to tinker with them.

Even if I were happy with the LM I wouldn't trade an SD for one straight up, as everyone knows Dillons are at the top of the resale value list.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hughes View Post
    jmorris
    what the heck are you talking about (giving money away, if thats not crazy PM me and I'll give you my address)? Is that kind of comment really necessary? I own two of the LMs and they work great for me. Sounds like you just could not figure out how set up the LM. I know Dillon is a great press, but they are not perfect. There is another thread on this forum about a primer explosion in the tube feeder. Lee would never stack his primers in a feed tube for that reason. I know there is more Lee haters out there than fans but I will continue to use their products.
    I believe jmorris was clear, if you read ALL the posts, that the OP could SELL his used Dillon, buy a brand new Lee press, and still have cash in his pocket... Why trade a Dillon for a used Lee?

FYI, there have been many primer detonations on Lee presses too. Last I knew, you could BUY a primer shield from them. It was not standard. Maybe it is now.

Just to be clear, I own and use a Lee press. I just use my Dillon presses a lot more.

I have never used a Dillon but I have 2 Load Masters on my bench. I had them for over10 yrs. and I have one set up for large primmers and the other for small. They work for me.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hughes View Post
    jmorris
    what the heck are you talking about (giving money away, if thats not crazy PM me and I'll give you my address)? Is that kind of comment really necessary? I own two of the LMs and they work great for me. Sounds like you just could not figure out how set up the LM. I know Dillon is a great press, but they are not perfect. There is another thread on this forum about a primer explosion in the tube feeder. Lee would never stack his primers in a feed tube for that reason. I know there is more Lee haters out there than fans but I will continue to use their products.
    And yet there was a post about a blown-up Lee priming system in the same thread.....At least on a Dillon there's a shield (there's two tubes, an aluminum one inside a steel with air space in between to contain the majority of the released energy) on the Lee, nothing other than a single layer of plastic.

Dan

Banned

I sure never felt a need to add to my post count and have NEVER posted anything on here that i didnt believe to be the absolute truth based on MY OWN experience. What ive found to be the nomal with the lee progressive posts is the guys that come running to there defense have either never used anything better or are the type that wont or cant buy real quality presses and want to defend there purchase. ANYONE that has loaded more then 5k of ammo on a lee and a dillon would have to be blind or completely predudice not to admit which was hands down the better press.
    Quote Originally Posted by UNIQUEDOT View Post
    Have you honestly ever even used both? since i have i consider most of the negativity with the LM to be internet garb, but i guess spreading rumors gives us a chance to add to our post count.

You are correct, Jmorris was one of the members sugesting to sell the old Dillon and buy a new LM. I agree
    I would keep the SD over the LM myself but would suggest a sale over trade, if for some reason someone really wanted a LM.

ANYONE that has loaded more then 5k of ammo on a lee and a dillon would have to be blind or completely predudice not to admit which was hands down the better press.
    Maybe if you are talking about the better presses, but the press in question is a SDB and first off anyone who can even load 5000 rounds on that press (even in the span of a weekend) is a superman. It's slow compared to even the pk1 he already has and just as cumbersome to use (bullet placement) and caliber conversions would cost him more than if he just bought an rl550b. The sdb in no way compares to the versatility or speed and convenience of the LM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast