Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackboxTitan Reloading
Load DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: Any 336A model owners here?

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range jawjaboy's Avatar

Any 336A model owners here?

Wife got me this one in '78 or '79 for Christmas.

Boolit Master
    Yep, I have one of those lovelys! Mine was manufactored in 1977 and I got it 3 years ago from a good friend who is no longer with us. It is one of the best feeling rifles I have, comes to the shoulder right now, and is looking where you want to shoot. I have been using the RCBS 30-180 FN and 35 grains of H-414 for my full power loads but, haven't had the oppertunity to use it on game yet. Fine rifles! -JDL

Boolit Master
    I looked for one of those for a long time, they seem to be scarce around here. Finally found one that was made in 1949. I think it was a closet queen, it was worn around the tube from handling and the butt from shoes. The rest was just fair but the action was not even broken in and the bore was beautiful. JDL has it right , it's one of the best handling rifles I have. I use 17.5 gr. of IMR 4198 and a Lyman 311291. I also installed a Williams FP and a higher front sight. You have a great rifle, just wish mine was as nice as yours.
    beemer

Boolit Buddy
    I have one that was made in 1948. I use it for centerfire cowboy silhouette. The rear sight is a Lyman 66LA w/target knobs. The front sight is a Lyman 17A globe sight. The rifle is a 30/30. The load I use is 25 gr. of IMR-3031 with a Lyman 311041 bullet.
    NRA Endowment Member

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range
    Nice example,jawjaboy..I have a set plus a spare 30/30.and am still on watch for any of the ADL grades.. Onceabull
    "The Eagle is no flycatcher"

Ha.. jawjaboy, you should be proud,

I have two of those 24" babies, one in 30-30 and one in .35 REM., made in 49 & 51, they both have period receiver sights. They are very special to me.
    Last edited by cobbmtmac; 05-29-2007 at 05:25 PM.
    Have a TON of FUN, Mac ....................Born to ENABLE ................ "BEATING GRAVITY EVERYDAY"

Boolit Buddy
    I just got back from the range . I was shooting my 336A .30-30 (1948). I have found a load that shoots great in all 4 of my Marlin .30-30`s.
    Cast 311041,WW+ 2%tin,sized .309,over 18 gr Imr 4198,WLR.
    This load shoots under 1" at 50 yards in all of my rifles with no leading.

Mine ain't as purty,but then she's almost 60 years old.Still gets the job done tho.
    Last edited by Throckmorton; 05-31-2007 at 01:18 AM. Reason: oops

Got two of them.
    One was a Squair bolt made 46? that someone cut to 16.5 inchs. I past it by first time i saw it. Glad I went back and bought it. Shoot like a house a fire.
    The other is a nice clean 51 . Not sure how well it shoots. Just a sweet heart of a rifle but only bench time I have had with it and cast was not good. I have not given up hope. Going to try the above "IMR 4198 18 gr ,WLR.
    This load shoots under 1" at 50 yards in all of my rifles with no leading."

Boolit Buddy
    Have a pair, a beautiful .30-30 from 1950 and a .35 from '52.

The .35 came to me with plenty of honest blue wear and a busted buttstock. I found another buttstock and decided that as long as it was no longer original I might as well drill and tap it and put a serious hunting sight on it- a scope! It carries a Leupold 4x quite well and I have shot several pigs with it.

I don't shoot the .30-30 too much these days....probably should.

gregg,re: ur bench time results.;
    mine would not hit a large barn the first time or two out,then I discovered that there is cleaning a gun,and CLEANING! a gun.what a difference.
    copper jacket and lead bullets mix worse than oil and water.
    just an fyi for ya.

almost forgot,swithcing to gas checked bullets may have been a large factor as well,but since I havn't tried plain based ones since the CLEANING,not sure.
    Last edited by Throckmorton; 05-31-2007 at 01:19 AM. Reason: correction

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range jawjaboy's Avatar
    Correction: My better two thirds has informed me that it was '77 when she bought me that. I stand corrected!

I've got a 1949 version in 32 Special its a great shooter. Always amazes people how well a lever action with cast bullets can shoot including me. Really enjoy shooting it. Mel

I have an A in 32 Winchester Special. It was made in 1969. Somebody refinished the wood and put on a goofy recoil pad. I intend to change that if I keep it. I love the look of the gun, but, so far I can not get it to shoot. I sized my first rounds at .321 and got keyholing at 100 yards. I am going to try some boolits sized at .323. I think that will do the trick. I hope so anyway. I really love that gun.

Generous Donator

I have a A in 35 Rem that was made in 51 or 52 depending on which authority you believe. It has an H prefix. Great shooting rifle. I picked it up about 5 years ago for $200. Mark

Boolit Master
    I don't own an "A" at the moment

But I do happen to have 5 "SC's".

I have a 30-30 , 32 and 35 that were made from 1950-1952 . Another 30-30 that was made in 1963 . And a 219 Zipper that was made in 1957.
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pumpguy View Post
    I have an A in 32 Winchester Special. It was made in 1969. Somebody refinished the wood and put on a goofy recoil pad. I intend to change that if I keep it. I love the look of the gun, but, so far I can not get it to shoot. I sized my first rounds at .321 and got keyholing at 100 yards. I am going to try some boolits sized at .323. I think that will do the trick. I hope so anyway. I really love that gun.

Pumpguy ,

I have 3 Marlin's that are 32 Special and I size all my bullets in a .323" die . And strangely enough they all seem to do fairly well

By some authorities they say the 32-40 bore is a bit smaller yet . But in my 1893 in 32-40 I shoot the same bullets that are sized .323" and get fine results .

But please bear in mind my alloy is not overly hard , as it is straight WW's.
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master

Here is my '53 336A. It's chambered in 30-30 Ackley Improved. It looks almost stainless but it is parkerized. It's a mighty fine hog killer...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hog082904001B.jpg   Rifle.jpg  
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Throckmorton View Post
    gregg,re: ur bench time results.;
    mine would not hit a large barn the first time or two out,then I discovered that there is cleaning a gun,and CLEANING! a gun.what a difference.
    copper jacket and lead bullets mix worse than oil and water.
    just an fyi for ya.

almost forgot,swithcing to gas checked bullets may have been a large factor as well,but since I havn't tried plain based ones since the CLEANING,not sure.
    I will do that . Thank you