Inline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee Precision
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 455 Webley hollow base (HB) MK.II in 4 cavity brass Cramer mould.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by MiHec View Post
    I need drawing ))

One think..... I can do hollow base or hollow point (not both in same mold)
    Please explain...

The Mk III is the manstopper. I would purchase one, if it is not impossible to do.

Boolit Bub
    Mine showed up yesterday, it looks ok but there may be a few machining marks in it, and the cavities aren't as shiny as my other mp mold. Maybe it just needs a good cleaning. I am just worried about the boolits hanging up in it. I guess I will have cast a few to see how it works! Which won't happen for a week or so!

Boolit Buddy
    Hi Fellows,

My mold came today! Super workmanship! Thanks Sir, it was a pleasure to deal with you!

I see refrences to get the mold HOT! How hot should the mold be?
    Can I just rest the mold on the edge of the lead pot ? Can I use a propane torch to bring it up to heat. I like many others here have never used a brass mold, where can I read up on proper use?
    Later on, after I know what I'm doing with the mold.
    I'm thinking about drilling the front end of a few bullets, into a hollow point style boolit .
    Use a center drill out to the dia. of the pour hole! A little jig would work, drill proper hole in steel block to fit the bullet & center hole for the center drill.
    A real watermellon killer!

Best to all,
    broomhandle

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Rotaxxx View Post
    Mine showed up yesterday, it looks ok but there may be a few machining marks in it, and the cavities aren't as shiny as my other mp mold. Maybe it just needs a good cleaning. I am just worried about the boolits hanging up in it. I guess I will have cast a few to see how it works! Which won't happen for a week or so!
    Just go and cast some good boolits

Cavities may look a bit rough, but it is only visual think. If you will test the surface you will see that it is smooth. Here the cherry was very long.....
    www.mp-molds.com
    --------------------------------------
    If you want to win, you must not lose

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by broomhandle View Post
    Hi Fellows,

My mold came today! Super workmanship! Thanks Sir, it was a pleasure to deal with you!

I see refrences to get the mold HOT! How hot should the mold be?
    Can I just rest the mold on the edge of the lead pot ? Can I use a propane torch to bring it up to heat. I like many others here have never used a brass mold, where can I read up on proper use?
    Later on, after I know what I'm doing with the mold.
    I'm thinking about drilling the front end of a few bullets, into a hollow point style boolit .
    Use a center drill out to the dia. of the pour hole! A little jig would work, drill proper hole in steel block to fit the bullet & center hole for the center drill.
    A real watermellon killer!

Best to all,
    broomhandle

for preheating the best think is hot plate. I would not recommend torch.
    Start with lower temperature and you can allways bring it hotter.
    www.mp-molds.com
    --------------------------------------
    If you want to win, you must not lose

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctorbowie View Post
    I got mine today also. It looks beautiful. I wonder if the fine gentleman who built them would be willing to do a run of molds for the 'manstopper' Webley bullet with the hollow point? I'll bet that would be impressive on watermelons.
    I need drawing ))

One think..... I can do hollow base or hollow point (not both in same mold)
    webley mk IV is do-able.
    Sorry guys.... a true Manstopper has a hollow base and a hollow point to the same dimensions. It isn't really a castable boolit. Thats why I had swage dies made up long ago to test it. I can supply a drawing, but it wouldn't do any good.

Boolit Buddy
    "Received my mold in Ontario, yesterday. Nice looking. what kind of lead mix is everybody using in it."

I ran a batch.....my they add up fast from a 4-cavity mold.....yesterday with pure lead & they weighed right at 262gns. Have cast a lot of Minies over the years, & pure lead works best for those, so figured the hollow base configuration of this bullet would appreciate it, too. Can't imagine it'll be too soft for the velocities they'll be pushed at.

Boolit Bub

Wink

Just go and cast some good boolits

Cavities may look a bit rough, but it is only visual think. If you will test the surface you will see that it is smooth. Here the cherry was very long.....
    Haha, I am sure it would cast nice boolits. I was just wasn't too sure if it would affect anything. I am a casting newbie and just jumped the gun I guess. excuse the pun

Boolit Master
    I am still waiting for mine, I am sure I have been flagged by Canada Customs.

Boolit Buddy
    Got one of mine yesterday. Looks nice.

Boolit Master
    Paid! Sorry for the delay... Just got back from a month's worth of putting out forest fires and stumbled across the invoice while wading through all those emails...

I use 50/50 wheel weight to scrap soft lead, with 2% Tin for mold fillout. Also use my dead ringer for SPG bullet lube: Zero leading, great bullets from my RCBS mould.
    I have to run alloy very hot, about 925 degrees or as hot as the Pro-Melt will go to get proper fillout and good casts.
    Once you figure out the temperature and get into the rhythm, you'll be able to cast good bullets all day long.
    I went from frustrated and producing maybe 5-10% good bullets, to well over 80% keepers after I learned all the tricks.
    I am soooo looking forward to producing quantities of the Webley bullets!
    Happy Shootin'! -Tom

Boolit Mold
    Got mine yesterday, looks awesome!

Boolit Master
    mine has arrived, its perfect as usual!

Boolit Buddy
    I made 400 boolits with the webley mould tonight. It worked best running fairly warm, 690-700F pot temp, with the sprue taking a 5 count to harden and another 3 count after hardening before cutting the sprue. Pouring too fast from the ladle would give me a incomplete fill more often than not, but a slightlyy slower more controlled pour worked fine.
    Last edited by jethunter; 10-23-2012 at 02:53 AM.

Boolit Mold
    Anyone have a list of loads, that would replicate the original military, using this hollow based bullet ?

I had more problems with the pins getting overheated and had to slow down my cadence and lower mold temp.Each are their own animals.

George

Boolit Master

Mine came while I was gone on the truck. It is a real feat of precision machining, pleased is an understatement..............
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Mold
    I had a few issues with not getting emails from MiHec but it all worked out and I finally got my mould today. This has to be the nicest mould I have ever owned. I can't wait to start casting with it. Thanks very much MiHec and thanks very much Onty for coordinating the buy.

Boolit Master

4.3 grains Unique...

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses6 View Post
    Anyone have a list of loads, that would replicate the original military, using this hollow based bullet ?
    I use 4.3 grains of Unique in my Webley loadings, works fine. Bullet is 50/50 wheel weights to scrap lead, with 2% Tin for good fill out. I also use my SPG dead ringer bullet lube.
    This combination gives me zero to very little leading depending on gun, good power and accuracy. YMMV...
    Happy Shootin'! -Tom

PS: I use Hornady cases. Fiocchi uses small pistol primers, and the same loading just doesn't work well. It has poor ignition and power, just like the Fiocchi factory loads. -T

Boolit Mold
    I just have to say, Miha is a stand up guy. He sent me the .457 by mistake when I had ordered the .455 mould. He rectified the problem quickly by shipping me the .455 mould and asking me to sell the .457 mould for him then forward him the money.

So based on that, I have a .457 mould for sale at Miha's price of SOLD shipped priority mail. Mould is just as received and has not been used. Please send me an e-mail if interested.

MOULD HAS BEEN SOLD.
    Last edited by shoe303; 11-15-2012 at 09:58 PM.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast