Load DataSnyders JerkyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 410459?

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri

410459?

Went to the gun show in Great Falls today. Picked up a very nice Lyman 410459 DC. Slightly used in the older wide plastic box.
    I shoot four different 41 Magnums, wish to hear experiences with this bullet.
    Thanks

Boolit Master

I don't have the Lyman 410459, but do have a Lyman 410610 (215 SWCGC), a SAECO 415 (220 TCGC) and a SAECO 411 (230 Keith style SWC). I googled the Lyman 410459 and got a great article by Glen Fryxell. the Lyman mold I have is fromk the 70s, and the SAECO molds are from the 70s and mid 80s.

The SAECO 411 as cast is 235 and the 415 is about 225 grains. I like the 415as it feeds well in my Marlin 1894. The 411 is a bit long when crimped in the groove so it is a no go in the lever gun and almost too long for the S&W M57 as it is almost flush with the cylinder. If not well crimped the boolits can and have jumped their crimp to where the cylinder won't rotate.

To load the long 411 and have the carbine feed, I have to crimp on the front driving band to reduce overall length. The 220 TC feeds like butter so i stick with that most of the time. It is nice to have a variety to choose from but when you find something that works really well you tend to run with that. Frank

Boolit Master
    Hello, Guesser. Back in 1980, I purchased a 8 3/8" S&W Mod. 57 & the Lyman 410459 for IHMSA silhouette shooting. My alloy was indoor pistol range lead with enough 50-50 solder for nice fill-out..nothing real hard. I was using 18grs. H110 for chickens & pigs (50m & 100M)
    I had to go to a 210gr. jacketed load for turkeys & rams for a bit more accuracy way out there.
    I took a few state championships with that fine bullet.

Boolit Buddy
    Received a 410459 when they came in carboard boxes. It was used in a S&W 58 at 25 yards and less. It grouped well and didn't lead the barrel. Sized it in Lyman H&I die .410 and Lyman lube.

Recently got a Ruger 41 Black Hawk and added a scope because of poor eyesight. Using 410459 & 41032, was able to keep shots in 8" circle target at 100 yards off a rest. I believe it is a fine mold.

Boolit Master

Over 7.5 grs Unique the 410459 was ridiculously accurate in my 6" M57.

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    Thanks to all. I have the 410610 both GC and PB, and the 410032 and some others, all good but this was the first 410459 I've come into possession of, it cleaned up really well, we'll see how it does with some of my standard charges or if I'll need to work up. I really like the design, who designed it?

Boolit Master

Its modeled after the 429421 .44 Keith bullet. I have the H&G version #258 in a ten cavity and provided samples for the Group Buy from Miha a while back. (I also bought one, the H&G is a heavy pig to cast with!)

Also have a four cavity Lyman 410459; it and the H&G are both very accurate from my 4" M57. Anxious to try out the new Miha mold, especially with the HP pin options available.

Boolit Master
    I hace tw0 a double cavity form the 70's and a single cav that is hp'd - some of my smallest gruops were from this bullet- and i killed my first deer with on -- they will normally shoot very well have fun

Boolit Grand Master

I came into a model 58 in a trade in 1975, purchased the 410459 2 cavity and have not found a need for any other. 7.5 to 8 grains unique are my go to favorite load in 41 mag. cast of air cooled wheel weights and lubed with Lyman black lube , never leaded the bore and gave great accuracy.

gary

Lyman lists SR-4756 as their accuracy powder with 410459, and I use a starting load of it in my DW silhouette revolver at 50 and 100 meters. It does very well there, but I have not had any luck with it beyond that range.

The classic load for that beastie is 19.0 grains of 2400 with a standard primer. Reasonably accurate with lots of thunder&lightning, but pretty dirty. You might want to back that down a bit and work back up, new 2400 may be a touch faster than the old. I ran a bunch of them ahead of lots of Blue Dot, which burned much cleaner. I don't think that Alliant recommends Blue Dot for the .41 anymore, but I'm still using the old powder and loads. RCBS's version of this design is also good. The 41028(410028) is also very good if you can find one.
    Rick