RepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationLoad DataLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Lyman 45 buying guide and cleanup instructions

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by JesterGrin_1 View Post
    I am getting ready to redo an Old Lyman 45 and wished to ask if I need to purchase a new Pressure Screw if I get a New Pressure Nut?

The Original Pressure nut is a split design and leaks out the top.

And another wild question of which I will ask since so many people like the Lyman 45 and that is what is a good heater to use with the Lyman 45 with Carnauba Red Lube?
    Quote Originally Posted by fryboy View Post
    sad to say it depends , some of the earliest model 45's used the same pitch of threads as the #1 sizer ( i call these "informally" generation 1 45's ) most have the newer pressure screw pitched threads , no way to honestly tell from here ,hints are newer 45's have a aluminum reservoir cap , a pin ( with cotter keys ) handle pivot ( as opposed to a shouldered bolt ) a spoked cast iron wheel type cap was carried over from the #1
    if you have a 450 and your two piece pressure nut fits the thread you're good to go , of note the pressure screws arent too expensive but there is a wee bit of difference on the top shaft ( a lil longer and a thicker shaft at the top that will require modding the cap by drilling the hole larger , 5/16" iirc and easy enough to do ) also of note i have an original #1 with the square drive screw ...some report that the threads arent the same yet i can ( and have ) used a newer o-ring pressure nut ( fit right on ermm i mean screwed right on in just fine [shrugz] ) so chances are good that you do not need a new screw
    I concur with everything fryboy says...and I will add I have two #1 units with the Square drive pressure screw, threads on those are alike...BUT different than the many 45's I have. The brass sleeve on the pressure nut isn't notched like the brass sleeve on the 45's...the #1 brass sleeve end's are butted together...and tend to leak easier.

I'll add even more, if you are ordering a pressure nut, I'd order a pressure screw as well, it's so cheap compared to the postage and it's good to have a spare laying around.

Now, I always use a heater...even on the warmest days, I use a 200Watt megnetic auto engine heater. It will run constantly, so "I" am the thermostat. I find that once the sizer is at the correct temp, I can shut the heater off and usually stays warm enough til I'm done sizing...unless it's a cold day or I get distracted with another task.

I use to use a thrift store clothes iron with a thermostat, but it's so much larger than this mag engine heater, and gets in the way.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Both have Solid Aluminum Reservoir Caps. But one the Leverage Arm attaches to the body with a Cross Pin and the other has a Screw in Pin. And both factory Pressure Screws have 6 Flats for the Chapman Wrench to fit on.

So my list right now is.
    ( 2) Pressure Nut (with two o-rings)

(4) O-Ring (Each)

( 1) Pressure Screw
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by 462 View Post
    When I re-conditioned my 45, I used Brownells Oxpho-Blue cold blue on the lube reservoir, and Rustoleum Glossy Real Orange on the body components and handle.

I liked the Real Orange so much, I stripped the 4500's hammmer-tone finish and re-painted it orange.
    How is the Rustoleum Glossy Real Orange holding up?

Boolit Mold
    I just boiled the snot out of my Ideal #45. Most of the orange paint came right off with the lube. I'll wire wheel the remainder, do one more degrease. Then I'll shoot it with hi temp chevy orange head paint, and bake it in the oven.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP1823.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	113331Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP1825.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	113332

Moderator Emeritus

Looks real good so far !
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

Boolit Mold
    The man that owned this lube/sizer was a member of our club for a long time, and a top notch Bullseye shooter. He had three lube/sizer's just like this one, a Star and a Saeco (which both sold for ridiculous money) they were all set up for different caliber boolits. Some of his handguns went for unbelievable prices too at an auction they had last week up in Cortland. Actually they made a hefty chunk of change from all the equipment he amassed over the years. What amazed me was these old luber's are still highly usable, upgradable, and affordable. Thanks to your sticky I was able to restore my Ideal #45 to like new condition, and Lyman had all the parts! Big tip, he was using NRA 50/50 in the Lyman's. Judging by how much his target pistols went for, it certainly must have worked.

Boolit Mold
    Ta Da! 400 degrees for 30 minutes in my oven and she be looking all spanking new and ready for another 50 years of lubing/sizing. I bought brand new H and I, top punch, pressure piston, spring, all from Lyman and I was told that by drilling the four base holes I can fit the 450/4500 heat plate to this #45 allowing me to use both types of bullet lubes.

Name:	IMGP1828.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	25.2 KB 
ID:	113427Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP1839.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	113428Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP1840.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	113429

Boolit Mold
    Wow.... That's purty

Did ANY of the 45's come with a handle that had a bend in it? I just got a 45 and the handle has roughly, 20° bend in it, with no signs of having been welded/repaired.

I got my first 45 for 5 bucks at a local gun store. I smile every time I use it and I have sized and lubed thousands of boolits with it.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Daiute View Post
    Did ANY of the 45's come with a handle that had a bend in it? I just got a 45 and the handle has roughly, 20° bend in it, with no signs of having been welded/repaired.

I got my first 45 for 5 bucks at a local gun store. I smile every time I use it and I have sized and lubed thousands of boolits with it.
    I'd love to see a photo, as I haven't seen a factory 'bent' handle/lever
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I'd love to see a photo, as I haven't seen a factory 'bent' handle/lever
    No way that lever can be bent without breaking, right? It's cast, isn't it?

Moderator Emeritus

All my "original" handle/levers are cast iron...I've never bent cast iron, but then again I'm no expert with a torch
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

nice website, how nice to be able to post right from my computer without going through photobucket, not that I'm not grateful to photobucket.

Name:	IMG_2429.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	113996Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2424.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	113992Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2425.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	113993Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2427.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	35.8 KB 
ID:	113994Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2426.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	31.8 KB 
ID:	113995

couple more views:

Name:	IMG_2431.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	113997Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2432.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	113998Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2433.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	113999

Moderator Emeritus

That sure is interesting.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Has anyone tried orange powder coating the 45's?

Banned

Cool

New owner, big orange 45 l got from Jon.

thinking bout a heater. Need die/punch .452

------------------------------
    brevity&misspelling rampant
    Last edited by gunoil; 07-01-2015 at 03:41 PM.

Banned

Some blue lube stick round here, can l drill em and use em in 45?

You can buy universal lyman heater, but u have to drill new holes. Any one have pic or pattern?

Boolit Master

I've been using a 450 for 20+ years and it has served me well. I've thought about getting another just two have them set up for my two most common sizes. Maybe I missed this, if so I apologize. But what are the pros/cons of a 45 vs a 450? Did Lyman go to the 450 for as a cost saving measure? Does the 45 do everything a 450 will do? I like old equipment and would consider looking for a nice one, I just want to know if I would be losing any capability. I load BPCR primarily. Soft alloys, no gas checks. Thanks Steve

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by ndnchf View Post
    I've been using a 450 for 20+ years and it has served me well. I've thought about getting another just two have them set up for my two most common sizes. Maybe I missed this, if so I apologize. But what are the pros/cons of a 45 vs a 450? Did Lyman go to the 450 for as a cost saving measure? Does the 45 do everything a 450 will do? I like old equipment and would consider looking for a nice one, I just want to know if I would be losing any capability. I load BPCR primarily. Soft alloys, no gas checks. Thanks Steve
    BUY a 45.

The big "PRO" of the 45, is the design to retain better alignment. A real important factor when sizing rifle boolits...not as important for pistol boolits that are destined for short range shooting.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-of-Lyman-4500

The big "CON" is the 45's original linkage and cast iron handle are weak and prone to breakage under abuse. The Ideal #1 lubesizer...a much older design and quite a neat antique to own and use, suffers from weak linkage and handle even more so than the 45.

ALSO: There is a ton of threads on this very subject. If I were you, I'd type "Lyman 45 450" into the google custom search window (above) for lot's more opinions, as mine are biased. I've owned 4 different 450's and sold them all, due to my dislike of them.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast