Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionWidenersRepackboxLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: 577 Snider and smokless at the range Tues

Super Moderator

577 Snider and smokless at the range Tues

..............I believe I'd posted before (dunno if it was here) about trying 24.0grs of Unique under a Lee .600" RB cast of WW alloy? Anyway, here goes

The Snider carbine. I have a Canadian friend (retired RCMP captain) who found out I had a 3 band Snider and asked if I'd like some Snider 'parts'. Naturally I said sure, so he sent the above carbine (in pieces) and it was lacking only the screw to hold the hammer on It was a cutdown rifle and after the barrel was cut it'd never been re-crowned, so that bright ring up by the muzzle was where the steady rest was bearing when I recrowned it.

My experiments with BP had been less then steller as the best 50 yard group to date (using a .590", 315gr Minie') had been 5 rounds into about 5". I had an old American Rifleman article by a guy who'd done some work with smokless in the Snider, which had had it's original bbl replaced with one from a Zouave. Anyway that was the impetus. I put 24.0grs of Unique in a Jamison 577 Snider case and then thumbed in a .600" RB from a Lee mould over a 1/8" thick lube wad. I then drove out to where we used to live in the sticks and fired it.

I loaded up 25 of'em. After the powder had been decanted into each fired unsized case, I thumbed in a .080" thick cardwad (punched out of bar coasters). I used a 1/2" wooden dowel to push the wad down to a depth of .300" (half a OD of .600" RB). I then extruded out some 1/8" thick lube strips onto waxed paper strips. These were then pressed over each casemouth with the paper dragged off to leave the lube cookie. A RB was then set into place and gently pressed down a bit.

I had to make a short seater insert for the Lee seater die to push the short TB down JUST at the halfway point. The seater die isn't set up for a .600" OD boolit so if it isn't almost completely seated the crimp part of the die will grab the ball. With the ball close to the halfway point the die will crimp the casemouth. You can barely see it in the above photo.

It was off to the range Tuesday and this was the result at 50 yards. Those 5 rounds went into 1.75". Velocity was 1475 fps with an ES of 23 fps. At firing, recoil was plesant and it produced a satisfyingly sharp bark. The cardwad apparently pretty much disintegrated as there was only very tiny fragments floating off in the slight breeze. I'll have to try these in my 3 band one of these days. I didn't have a target at 200 yards but there was a head sized rock out there on the berm. I expended 7 round in it's direction. Three used to get the military rear sight adjusted. If the ladder was placed on the 200 yard step it was high. I may have hit it too, but if not it came darned close!

The rest of the rounds went downrange by me and several other shooters who were fascinated by the bitty carbine and the big fat cartridges. Some even took photos of it with their cell phones

.................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Moderator Emeritus
    Unique??!!

You heretic!

Nice looking group though.

Did the powder cover the base of the case?

I've got some BP Snider rounds to shoot this week with the mould from Accurate, might try some in the Canadian cadet carbine that came in recently

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Did you ever get an actual front sight on that thing? You're not showing one in the picture and last I'd heard you were using a piece of wire wrapped around the end of the barrel...
    Looks like a fun toy to play with, though.
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by dromia View Post
    Unique??!!

You heretic!
    Come on Adam. Unique has been around almost as long as the Snider.....

Certainly minute of native tribesman. Can I say that?
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Moderator Emeritus
    Almost.

Shame it is dirtier than black powder though.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by HORNET View Post
    Did you ever get an actual front sight on that thing? You're not showing one in the picture and last I'd heard you were using a piece of wire wrapped around the end of the barrel...
    Looks like a fun toy to play with, though.
    .............Ah Hornet, you're thinking of this:

Nah that's gone. I have an actual front sight BASE that allows drifting of the insert for windage. Real uptown setup now, but no photo of it. I should take one. One nice thing is that it's now Thursday and I haven't cleaned it yet ! BTW I should mention the bore is bright and shiney.

I understand that with BP you can get a .600" RB up to 1600 fps but without a ballistics lab to back me up pressure wise I don't know if I'm that brave with smokless. I just want to have fun, and it WAS a gas. A .600" 300gr RB at 1475 fps isn't anything to sneeze at regardless. It's amazing how many shooters are clueless. I had a gent ask me if it was a Trapdoor. GopherSlayer was there with me shooting a Uberti clone of a Winchester Hi-Wall and the guy at the next bench asked who'd made his Sharps!

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Yeppers, that was the sight rig that I was thinking of, just been a while since I saw it.
    Hey!! Does this mean the Tuesday Range Reports are restarting?? Kinda miss them.
    Rick

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by HORNET View Post
    Yeppers, that was the sight rig that I was thinking of, just been a while since I saw it.
    Hey!! Does this mean the Tuesday Range Reports are restarting?? Kinda miss them.
    .............Sorry but no. Inland Fish & Game has been closed about 3 years now. Defeated and put down by a developer. I miss those repoerts also as I used to shoot every Tuesady. Now it's one a month to 6 weeks between range trips and it's almost 80 miles round trip.

.............Buckshot