WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackboxLee Precision
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: How much Goex can you fit in your 45 colt load?

How much Goex can you fit in your 45 colt load?

I loaded up 100 new, unfired cases of 45 colt (starline brass) with Goex Cartridge under the Lee 255gr RNFP. Everything I've read on the www indicates that most folks can get up to 40 grains of BP into a 45 colt case. I charged my new starline brass with 30 grains (volume) and visually it appears that my Lee bullet will compress this about 1/16". Btw, Goex fffg filled about the same volume as the Cartridge grade. I'm going the run these thru my Uberti 1866 this weekend.

Is this particular bullet just an extra long design, or should I be able to get another 5 - 7 grains of Goex in there? I'd like to achieve the recommended dose, but don't want to over compress the charge. Any suggestions?
    Ain't that Hatchet Jack's rifle?
    Yep. Found him froze to a tree.
    Damn! He was a wild one, old Hatchet Jack. He was livin' two year in a cave up on the Musselshell with a female panther. She never did get used to him.

Banned
    Using a droptube i can get 8-9% more in a 45-70 case so you could try that.
    Starline uses the most brass of any in a case so volume will suffer.

Boolit Master
    Yup, drop tube, then compress with a die, not a soft cast BP bullet as it will deform, you should get dern near 40 grs.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I'd like to achieve the recommended dose, but don't want to over compress the charge. Any suggestions?
    yep - put 30grs scale weight in the case and seating the bullet will do all the necessary compression to give low 800 fps velocity. Presume your going the shoot them for CAS ... so why waste the extra powder.
    PS: I'm a 45 Colt - 454190, 255gr bullet black powder shooter loading them with a Dillon 550B
    PS: There is no such thing as over compressing black powder. They'll go bang the same with no compression or solid as cast iron
    Regards
    John

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I'd like to achieve the recommended dose, but don't want to over compress the charge. Any suggestions?
    yep - put 30grs scale weight in the case and seating the bullet will do all the necessary compression to give low 800 fps velocity. Presume your going the shoot them for CAS ... so why waste the extra powder.
    PS: I'm a 45 Colt - 454190, 255gr bullet black powder shooter loading them with a Dillon 550B
    PS: There is no such thing as over compressing black powder. They'll go bang the same with no compression or solid as cast iron. Your now shooting BPCR out to a 1000 yds and looking for every ounce of accuracy with the large caliber reloads
    Regards
    John

Awaveritt,

The brand of BP makes a difference, too. Some brands of BP are more dense than others. Swiss brand seems to be a bit more dense. On the other hand, there does come a point of diminishing returns. There is not that much difference in loading say, 35 grains as compared to 40 grains. Also, back in the day when 40 grains was a standard load in 45 Colt they were using balloon head cases which could hold a little more volume than the stronger web head cases we use today. If you are shooting CAS perhaps a bit lighter load will work better for you.
    NRA Life Member

U. S. Navy (Ret)

"For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved"

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    I can get 40 grs of Goex 3f in winchester 45 colt cases, but 37 grs doesn't require quite as much compression. I also use a .030 fiber wad under the bullet. Velocity when runs out pretty close to the original load at 875-900 fps from a 5.5 inch barrel depending on the bullet.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    The Starline cases are a bit thicker than the Winchester or R-P cases so you will see less powder when using them. You may however still get 40 grains of KiK or Swiss in the 45 Colt case by using a compression die as I have done it strictly as a test.
    Shooting SASS matches you will not see much difference between 35 grains as you do with 40 grains of powder. These will give less recoil and put you on target a mite faster also.
    As was stated the modern day case will not hold as much powder as the ones from the early days.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet