Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Lee PrecisionWidenersLoad DataReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Midway vs. Grafs

With the high cost of living in Alaska the PFD doesn't mean anything to a working person. It's like giving a kid a quarter. Now if you're homeless and down on your luck and on welfare and have 10 kids, it makes a huge difference.

Love Life
    Just another Grafs VS MidwayUSA story. I am in the market for a new single stage press, and I have my eye on the Redding Big Boss II.

Midwayusa has it on sale for $165.00
    Grafs has it, but not on sale for $175.00

Shipped total to my door from MidwayUSA= $194.00
    Shipped total to my door from Grafs=$181 and change

So with the ridiculous shipping at Midway the onsale press shipped costs more than the regular priced press at Grafs shipped.

I still use Midway for items other dealers don't have though.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MusicMan View Post
    With the high cost of living in Alaska the PFD doesn't mean anything to a working person. It's like giving a kid a quarter. Now if you're homeless and down on your luck and on welfare and have 10 kids, it makes a huge difference.
    I lived in Anchorage for three years (about 10 years ago). I found prices on things up there not too bad when you considered no sales tax (savings of about 7-8% compared to what we pay down here). The cost was high on housing, eating out and fresh food for sure. My wife and I never took the PFD since we were never going to live there once we moved. But, for an average sized family I would imagine the PFD helps with many of the high costs.

I ordered lots of things through the mail while I was there. I liked the fast shipping since most things came air. Sure it cost more, but I was getting more money while I was there and I'm thinking that many people working in Alaska make more than their counterparts living in the lower 48. Most of the people I knew living up there made enough money to afford lots of fancy toys...they couldn't be hurting too bad. Is that your boat in your avatar.

So, anyway, I don't feel too bad shipping costs more to Alaska.

Boolit Buddy
    I won't buy anything again from Midway. And I don't care how much money they donate to the shooting sports. Their shipping rates were and still are outrageous!

Boolit Master
    When we are in the area I stop at midway to pick up my order and save shipping. They have a will call part of the warehouse. I price shop them all. Lowest price wins. I don't care about how they run it or surmise why they charge this or that. Lowest price including shipping wins my order.

Take care

r1kk1

Boolit Master
    Midway used to be my goto place Now Grafs and midsouth get first crack. Midway seems to have out grown my business with their pennies off sales and real higher prices and high shipping prices.
    With the buying power midway has they should have been the cheepest , but not even close.
    They dont seem to even try to keep costs down.
    NRA LIFER .. "THE CAST BULLET HANDLOADER IS THE ONLY ONE THAT REALLY MAKES ANY OF HIS AMMUNITION. OTHERS MEARLY ASSEMBLE IT". -E.H. HARRISON

----------------------
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
    Thomas Jefferson
    ------
    "Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem."
    -- Ronald Reagan

Grafs for me also. can't beat their shippng charge.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dauntlessdave View Post
    Guess I live under a rock. Never ever seen free shipping from Midway.
    If I recall correctly, they quit the "shipping costs included" in the early 1990's, that's about the time that I started shopping around and comparing Midsouth, Graf & Sons, Natchez and others to see who was most competitive.
    NRA Endowment Life Member

I have used Midway once or twice, but always seem to go back to Natchez and Midsouth. But after reading about Grafs, I will certainly give them some business.

Boolit Bub
    I use Sinclair, or Grafs...Sinclair/Brownells give a military discount on a lot of items.

I have purchased from Midway and asked them more than once about offering the same type of discount as Brownells, and the said they can't offer a discount and keep customer cost down...

So I sent Midway an email with several comparison items, same vendor items, that Midway was higher on even prior to the discount from Brownells--never a peep back.
    The terrain looks a Hell of a lot different when you'er crawling through it!

Wounded Warrior Alumni

Boolit Buddy
    I tend to use Midway or Brownells for gun parts
    Reloading stuff is either Grafs, Widners and Midway

Whichever is cheaper and has what I want in stock.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ***** 6 View Post
    So I sent Midway an email with several comparison items, same vendor items, that Midway was higher on even prior to the discount from Brownells--never a peep back.
    I'd bet they know this already.

I order from whoever I can get the best deal from "out the door." Lots of times this is MidwayUSA.

I'm amazed at how often these "MidwayUSA is too expensive" OR "MidwayUSA charges too much for shipping" threads come up. Yet, they have the best selection and seem to be doing very well.

Boolit Buddy
    +1 to Ickisrulz; I've had the same thought. Just recieved 2 EGW 7 hole chamber checkers (45acp and 40 s&w). They were at my door (with a holiday in the way) in 5 business days for 5.00 shipping.
    Robert Abbott
    "I don't save money reloading. I just get to shoot more."

Boolit Master

Just another 2¢ worth. I usually buy from Grafs with my C&R. I got approval to pay by check and it is very convenient. Their prices on powder and primers are competitive with Powder Valley and like them, they will combine shipping.

I also just registered my C&R with Midway because I wanted to order some of their glass fiber cleaning rods. I really like those rods.

I live less than 100 miles from Mid-South but in the same state(TN) and have to pay sales tax, which is 9.75%. I order occasionally just to keep in touch and don't suffer too much.
    John
    W.TN

I too bought bulk brass from midway back when, they were the place to get it. Now they always
    loose comparison with the higher shipping prices. ..But dang sometimes they have just what you need in stock
    when nobody else does.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by o6Patient View Post
    I too bought bulk brass from midway back when, they were the place to get it. Now they always
    loose comparison with the higher shipping prices. ..But dang sometimes they have just what you need in stock
    when nobody else does.

NRA Life Member
    A few years ago(Sept, 2008), Midway had a special on bulk brass. One of the items was .375 Win. I needed some so I zeroed in on their price. I bought 1000 pcs because the price was so ridiculously low. I just looked up the order on their site and I paid $256.33. If memory serves, that was barely above the price for 500. After I ordered, they changed the price to almost twice what I paid. I didn't need all that brass so I sold half to a member here for cost +shipping.

In checking my past orders to get the above information, I found that, over the years, I have ordered quite a bit from Midway but very little in the last 2 or 3 years.
    Last edited by alamogunr; 12-28-2012 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Added Info
    John
    W.TN

Holy ****! I just looked at what i have spent on shipping charges with Midway in the last 5 years. Small retirement fund gone! I will start looking elsewhere.
    High Hook

Doesn't really matter what the price is or the shipping is, or the hazmat fee is. All that matters is the total cost. Buy from the cheapest that has everything in stock.
    Midway does have several options for shipping. The only one that does, that I know of.
    Don't mind slower shipping for a lower price.

Boolit Master

I'm in agreement with most here. I don't hate Midway, but I do find there prices higher and their shipping charges even worse. I typically go to Midsouth first, then Graf's or Natchez. Midway is farther down on the list. And I have dealt with Midway since the 80s, in fact I am customer number 001 in my zip code. I remember the free shipping days, and while it was nice, its really not realistic in this day and age. However, they seem to be charging excessively, and that's just not the way to get my business.

Boolit Master

When I am buying from the internet I look at Midsouth, Natchezz, Midwayusa, Grafs and any other place that pops up and whoever has the best total cost gets my business. I am not loyal to anyone anymore they all have something that makes any given purchase either a good deal or a bad deal.
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast