RotoMetals2Load DataReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationRepackboxLee PrecisionWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading

Thread: Ruger Blackhawk Alaskan in .454 Casull/.45 LC

Ruger Blackhawk Alaskan in .454 Casull/.45 LC

My wife let me buy a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan in .454 Casull/ .45 LC.

I love it, I shot the .45 LC, which did not kick as bad as my Glock 30, but the .454 kicked more, I figured it would kick more, it was managable, I shot it 12 times in 454, and 18 times in 45 LC.

Wow AMMO is spendy, I have not had to buy ammo in a long time, sticker shock!!!

I have already asked Die Questions and got answers, (Thanks)

Another few Questions.

I plan on reloading (DUH)
    Casting my own (another DUH)

Question is what size of primers do I stock up on?

Is the primers the same size for the 454, and the 45 LC?

I would think not,but ?????????

Also, is there any suggested Molds that I should try?

What is the thoughts, on the LEE C452-300-RF

Thanks

Clint
    Last edited by azcoyhunter; 05-30-2007 at 11:28 PM. Reason: I am a idiot
    FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
    SEMPER FI

If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Master
    This is a new one on me. Are you sure its a black hawk, or is it a red hawk or super red hawk?
    The only 454 I am aware of made by ruger is on the super redhawk frame. They do make a 45 colt on the redhawk frame.
    So whats up, did I mis something?
    BIC/BS
    Last edited by Bullshop; 05-30-2007 at 10:34 PM.

Boolit Master

Aw...Bullshop beat me to it!

Yep that .454 Blackhawk caught my attention.

Primers...Take a look in a maunal, but I know .45 Colt uses Large Pistol, .454? I don't know for sure, but I think there is brass out there for LP in it also.

Lee 452-300 RF...I have it. I use it for heavy loads in my .45 Colt Blackhawk. It has a wonderfully huge meplat, gas check (though I seldom use them), good deep lube groove, two crimp grooves for two different seating depths. I like it alot, get one.

My favorite .45 Colt boolit so far is Lyman 454424. great SWC. I'm also waiting for my GB .45 Keith 310 SWC. That should be real good.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop View Post
    This is a new one on me. Are you sure its a black hawk, or is it a red hawk or super red hawk?
    The only 454 I am aware of made by ruger is on the super redhawk frame. They do make a 45 colt on the redhawk frame.
    So whats up, did I mis something?
    BIC/BS
    You are right

Super redhawk

Clint
    FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
    SEMPER FI

If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Quote Originally Posted by shooting on a shoestring View Post
    Yep that .454 Blackhawk caught my attention.

Primers...Take a look in a maunal, but I know .45 Colt uses Large Pistol, .454? I don't know for sure, but I think there is brass out there for LP in it also.

Lee 452-300 RF...I have it. I use it for heavy loads in my .45 Colt Blackhawk. It has a wonderfully huge meplat, gas check (though I seldom use them), good deep lube groove, two crimp grooves for two different seating depths. I like it alot, get one.

My favorite .45 Colt boolit so far is Lyman 454424. great SWC. I'm also waiting for my GB .45 Keith 310 SWC. That should be real good.
    Thanks soo much for the info.

I like Lee Molds, and I think I will buy this one.

And yes it is a Super Redhawk.

Clint
    FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
    SEMPER FI

Boolit Master

Ruger Blackhawk Alaskan in .454 Casull/ .45 LC. .......................I bet he ment SRH Alaskan

454 uses small rifle primers
    It has a max pressure of 60,000 PSI , so small pistol primers are a NO no unless you down load it to 45 colt velositys
    No need for the thrill of a 90%+ load with a pierced primer . I was next to a guy that did that

I cast my hunting bullets out of 50/50 WW / stick on WW or pure lead

My normal hunting load with the Lee 300 gr GC bullet is 24 gr of 2400 , Rem 7 1/2 primer , Hornady case , for about 1400 FPS out of my 7.5" SRH ( never checked velosity )
    Max is around 28 gr , but that is to much fun for me .................. for hunting at least

I do most of my shooting with 45 colt case's , a 250 gr Lyman 452664 at about 1000 fps
    This load would do for hunting most of the time

But sometimes I take longer shots and the extre bullet weight and velosity is nice

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

the rcbs 300 grain GC shoots very well in 454 and 45 colt.rcbs 270 SAA is the best 45 colt plain base mold out there,with those 2 molds you have everything you will need for accurate shooing.the lee 300 GC will make a good hunting bullet and not cost much.my 454 casull will shoot 1 inch groups at 50 yards sometimes with the rcbs 300 GC.that would be the one i'd get if I could only get one mold.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Fill the case with 680 (28 grains +/-) or RL7 (25 grains +/-) for lower pressures, circa 30K CUP for rifle or strong revolter. Speed in the rifle would be 1500 or so. Use either 454 or LC case, the latter sparingly unless you have a tight chamber. Make sure the LC cases are modern, i.e., fairly new in manufacture. Should be able to shoot beer can sized targets at a hunnert without hassle with a rifle. ... felix
    felix

Man you had me going with the Blackhawk subject azcoyhunter, I thought finally it is about time they brought one out. Damit had me going there.

A 5 shot bisley would be great in 454 casull.Ruger could sell a bunch for sure.I'd love to have one with a matching 45 colt cylinder.It would be great for handgun hunters that can't afford a Freedom Arms 454.I wish the revolver makers would come out with a flat top frame with intregal weaver type cross slots on top for mounting optics.

Boolit Grand Master
    I've had problems with CCI 450 (small rifle magnum) primers in all of my .454 revolvers, and really found no need for them. The thicker primer cup can cause FTF.

For the short barrel Alaskan, I would think slightly faster burning powders would work more efficiently and present less muzzle flash. My favorite powder for my 4 3/4" FA model 83 is Bluedot. The Lee 320 gr. can be pushed to about 1300 fps in that short barrel, which is about 80% of what can be reached with H-110 and the other slow burners.

My practice is to use .454 Casull brass in my .454's, rather than .45 Colt brass when using reduced loads. If you continue to use .45 Colt brass, be aware that extended use can erode the exposed area just behind the throat, and keep it thoroughly clean and inspected.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore