Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee Precision
Repackbox Reloading Everything

Thread: What Alloy for 38 Wad cutter

Boolit Mold

What Alloy for 38 Wad cutter

Will be casting 38 wad cutters for the first time and curious as to what alloy to use if any or just straight lead. Thanks

Moderator Emeritus
    JD,

I have used mostly straight WW air cooled. I am thinking of going a little softer though and mix 50-50 with pure lead. I shoot the wad cutters at low velocities.

John

plain old wheel weights air cooled work just fine for me with the velocity around 650 FPS i get no leading at all after thousands of rounds

Boolit Master
    I use ww dumped into a five gallon bucket of water. These have always worked well for me.

Super Moderator

...............I get superb performance from my K38 Smith with the Lee 358-148WC cast of pure lead. They're shot 'as cast' with just the bottom lube groove lubed. Lee TL also works well but is smokier, and a tad messier to shoot. Also have to watch for buildup in the seater die.

To tell the truth, the pistol also shoots them just as well when they're cast from garden variety scrap also. So, I guess what I'm saying is to just cast up a supply out of whatever lead you have the most of and give them a try

.................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Grand Master
    Rick--

I knew you used some unalloyed lead for the 38 S&W fat WC's--didn't know about your 38 Specials though.

I've just used WW metal for my WC stuff. It has been a long time since I used WC designs in any of my revos, having fallen under the sway of Keith and Thompson. I have a 32 and 38 WC design each, both button-ended and designed to be seated a bit outside the case mouth (#313492 and #358432). Both have shot very well, and IIRC neither one does the 65 yard nosedive and cartwheel bit that a lot of WC designs are known for. After the move gets finished, I might have to re-heat those long-cold mold blocks.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Super Moderator

"Rick--

I knew you used some unalloyed lead for the 38 S&W fat WC's--didn't know about your 38 Specials though. "

...........You betcha ! Easy casting too. JUst crank the pot up to warp factor 8 and cast about as fast as you can. VERY unusual to not get perfect boolits every time.

.............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance