RotoMetals2Load DataReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Made more Ben's Red today

Quote Originally Posted by tonyjones View Post
    Ben,

Do you, or anyone else for that matter, know the approximate amount of carnauba wax in Ben's Red? I believe that CW is a help in high temperatures even though it may leave a residue in the bore. According to 357maximum, I and others here live next to the gates of hell (Texas).

The IMPORTANT thing is that it WORKS!

Best regards,

Tony
    Tony,

If you already have a good working lube, in order to significantly raise its melt temp by the addition of Carnauba alone, you will probably ruin your lube; i.e., it will become too hard, dry, brittle and loose its tack. Better ways to raise a lube's melt temp is through the use of soap and/or soap based greases.

MJ

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by fatnhappy View Post
    Thanks for making me feel like an idiot Ben. I watched your video filling the lubersizers. All these years I've been using a funnel.
    OK, I give up. Where is a link or even a reference to a video. I've looked high and low.

Boolit Grand Master
    DLCTEX

RE : Video - - Pouring liquid lube into a lube sizer

Is this what you're looking for :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ5n68SrrUo
    Last edited by Ben; 12-11-2012 at 09:58 PM.

In Remembrance

That's it Ben. Thanks. I used the same type can to fill my lube stick moulds.

Boolit Master
    I checked the MSDS for JPW on the S. C. Johnson web site and found that carnauba wax is 5% to 10% by weight. If JPW is 10% of Ben's Red then the CW should be about .5% to 1% of the lube contents. This will vary a bit based upon whether one formulates by weight or by volume, loss by cooking off solvents, etc. If anyone cares, there you have it.

Regards,

Tony

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks Tony,

Ben

Boolit Master
    I'm a big advocate of this lube and following the recipe strict, but I made a new batch over Christmas and I found something.

The grease is the hardest thing to melt down, it gets lumpy and it'll scorchif you get it too hot right? Well, I melted my JPW and let it cook off a bit, then added my STP and ATF to the JPW, all the while getting my grease started in the toaster oven. It was flowing but not melted. I poured the JPW, ATF, STP mix into the grease and it liquified in short order. No lumps no air bubbles, just nice. I added my beeswax and put it back in the oven for a minute then stirred like a witch over a cauldron for a few minutes. It's perfect. I've got to go back to it with some more beeswax to stiffenit up a bit, this batch is for rifles and I'd like it a little harder.

Maybe you guys already do this I don't know, but I've always melted each component individually and added it to the beeswax.

In Remembrance

I lubed some boolits with it in my lubesizer yesterday and it worked with no extra heat in my cold reloading room. We had been down to 16* and I'd had the heat in the room on for about 20 minutes. The lubesizer was still cold as ice. This makes me think it will be a good cold weather lube. I intend to shoot some today, but it will tell me nothing as it's pistol rounds and a couple new to me moulds so I won't have any accuracy comparisons as far as lube goes.

Does this work good in a pan lube application or should I use Ben's Blue?

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by taco650 View Post
    Does this work good in a pan lube application or should I use Ben's Blue?
    I'd think you'd be just fine with Ben's Red.

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    I'd think you'd be just fine with Ben's Red.

Ben
    Thanks for the response.

Also, I live in GA and the summers are hot and muggy (and buggy lol!) so does this lube dry hard enough to not get sticky in southern summers? One more thing, have you done a recent cost comparison with current prices of the base materials compared to "store bought" lubes? I realize this will vary some from region to region but you made up this recipe so long ago I'm just wondering if its still more cost effective to make it from scratch as opposed to letting Midway assault my credit card.

Boolit Grand Master
    taco650

Also, I live in GA and the summers are hot and muggy (and buggy lol!) so does this lube dry hard enough to not get sticky in southern summers? It is just as hot here in Alabama as it is in GA in the summers. I don't have any problems with the lube. One more thing, have you done a recent cost comparison with current prices of the base materials compared to "store bought" lubes? NO I realize this will vary some from region to region but you made up this recipe so long ago I'm just wondering if its still more cost effective to make it from scratch as opposed to letting Midway assault my credit card.

Quote Originally Posted by taco650 View Post
    One more thing, have you done a recent cost comparison with current prices of the base materials compared to "store bought" lubes?
    I made my first batch this last weekend, and for under $40 I got the components to make 2 lbs of lube and I had to get a pan and measuring cup, stirring utensils...( go to he dollar store for the widgets)
    I have read nothing but good about this lube and look forward to trying it, hopefully this weekend.

az-jim
    "You believe these people exist to provide you with position, I believe your position exists to provide these people with FREEDOM"

FREEEEEEEEDOMM-William Wallace

Ben and others,

Thanks for the replies. For $40 I'll have more lube than I know what to do with, ha ha. A lot of that will be first time setup costs like the utensils, pots, etc.

Boolit Grand Master
    If you truly have more than you'd need, why don't you sell some of it here on the Swapping Selling Forum to people who might be interested in buying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    If you truly have more than you'd need, why don't you sell some of it here on the Swapping Selling Forum to people who might be interested in buying it.
    I would be willing to purchase another members excess if they had it, at least for the first batch just so I don't screw up the mix or if I decide I don't like it (really doubt it judging by all the positive reviews but...). If someone has extra they want to sell, send me a PM.

Boolit Buddy

you would not believe how long i looked in the "Boolit Lube !" forum. trying to find this thread. then i realize it's in "Classics & Stickies"

lol well i'm about to make my first batch of Ben's Red now that i got the recipe
    What I hand-load; .380acp; 9mm/9mmR; 38/357mag; 45acp;
    223rem(5.56mm); 22-250rem; 243win; 6.5 Grendel; 270 win; 30-30win; 308win; 45-70gov.

on the list to start Loading; 30-06 springfield; 222 rem; 6.5x55 swedish

"You might be a gun nut if you load 45-70 on a progressive press" -HICKOK45<- was he talking about me!?!

---
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    _________________ ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In Remembrance

I recommend that you use a whisk, it eliminated the need for straining it through a T shirt. Don't borrow one from your wife, though. I can't get it all off.

In Remembrance

I fired 50 or so rounds through an M 1 carbine this week lubed with Ben's Red. Good accuracy, no leading, shiny bore. Lee 125 gr. boolit sized .311 over 12 gr. H-110. 25 rounds through 30-30 Marlin, 170 gr Lee boolit, about 1900 fps with R-7 powder. Same results. Great lube.
    Last edited by DLCTEX; 04-21-2013 at 05:17 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    DLCTEX

Don't borrow one from your wife, though.

I believe I hear the voice of WISDOM speaking loudly here !

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast