RepackboxInline FabricationLoad DataTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2WidenersLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply PBcastco
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Made more Ben's Red today

Banned

it'll do 40 to 85 no problems.
    if staying above 40 all the time and temps are gonna be near 100 quite often you can add 3% carnuba to the mix for better high temp applications.
    i wish my shooting temps were 40-85,another couple of weeks and i won't see 40-f for 4-5 months.

Boolit Grand Master
    I will have a chance soon to see how BR handles 30 to 50 degree weather.

If I decide I really need to I can even see how it does at lower temps but I don't enjoy shooting in the cold too much. It just stops being fun.

Boolit Grand Master
    Tony ,

Yes, I'd think that our weather in summer and winter would be very similar.

I've killed deer with Ben's Red with my .30 cal. rifles on a 15 degree day in January. I've also shot and " punched paper " on a 101 degree day with a hot barrel in August with Ben's Red.

I'm pleased with the very hot and the very cold with respect to Ben's Red performance. I don't alter mine for summer shooting and winter shooting, I shoot the same lube.

Ben
    Last edited by Ben; 10-06-2012 at 09:19 PM.

Boolit Master
    Ben,

Thanks. Have you found grouping to be the same at "our" temperature extremes or do groups open up a bit? My paper punching is done between 40 & 85 degrees F. I hunt some in colder weather but my accuracy requirements are not the same: minute of dead deer or hog will do. When our temps are between 90 & 120 I prefer an iced tea and my A/C.

Regards,

Tony
    Last edited by tonyjones; 10-06-2012 at 02:33 PM. Reason: typo

Banned

The best way to discover the answers to so many of the questions asked here is simply to try it and see. I'm sure there are and will be many newbie lube chefs perusing this thread with the same sort of questions, and right now there seem to be more questions than answers due to the wide diversity of applications for any boolit lube. Get out there and test this stuff, guys!

For what it's worth, I've done some limited testing of Ben's original recipe as-is from 40 to 100 F, from 700 to 2200 fps in .30 to .45 bore and have found it to be superior in every way to NRA 50/50.

Gear

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks. Have you found grouping to be the same at "our" temperature extremes or do groups open up a bit? My paper punching is done between 40 & 85 degrees F. I hunt some in colder weather but my accuracy requirements are not the same: minute of dead deer or hog will do. When our temps are between 90 & 120 I prefer an iced tea and my A/C.

Regards,

Tony

-------------------------------------------------------------

I've not noticed any " wild fliers " or blown groups at the temp extremes that I could expect to find in my state.

I'm happy with Ben's Red in any temperatures I'm likely to encounter here in AL.

Ben

Boolit Master
    Thanks Ben.

TJ

In Remembrance

I'm delighted to see that the powers to be (here at CastBoolits, the most wonderful place in the interweb) have elected to place this thread in the highly respected place of honor, STICKIES and CLASSICS!

Thank you Ken, et al.

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Grand Master
    I sot some 375 today with BR, temp was in the mid fifties. First shot was right where it belonged at 50 yards offhand.

Alloy was a bit softer than I had been using in th past. I don't know the BHn but would say it was in the 15 range. Velocities of 2100 gave zero leading and great accuracy.

What more do we need?

yep now im going to have to give this a try im tired of paying midway 9 $ for a small stick of lube
    im assuming that this will probability make a lot considering the amount the individual components are sold in
    Who ever appeals to the law against his fellow man is ether a fool or a coward.
    whoever can not take care of himself with out that law is both
    for a wounded man will say to his assailant if i die you are forgiven if i live i will kill you such is the rule of honor!!

yep now im going to have to give this a try im tired of paying midway 9 $ for a small stick of lube
    im assuming that this will probability make a lot considering the amount the individual components are sold in
    for a wounded man will say to his assailant if i die you are forgiven if i live i will kill you such is the rule of honor!!

Boolit Master
    Don't know if this applies to all AutoZones, they had 3 tubes of the lucas red and tacky for $10 in my local store.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Boolit Grand Master
    375RUGER

3 tubes of the lucas red and tacky for $10 in my local store.

WOW, now you're talking
    a LOT of bullet lube !

Ben

Ben, we do not have all of those incredients here in northern Europe.

Johnsons Paste Wax: could it substituted with something? Take a look at these: www.liberon.com.au/?act=products&cat=15
    The Furniture Wax Paste sounds like something similar..

The transmission fluid. Can I use any brand or is there something special in those you mention in the recipe?

Red, Tacky Lucas High Temp Grease. Is any high temp bearing grease ok? With lithium?

Boolit Grand Master
    Ola

Of course it would be nice if you could find all the ingredients in Ben's Red there locally, but it sounds as if that isn't going to be possible.

I feel that your " alternatives " you've listed above would most likely make a pretty good bullet lube.

Why don't you make about 1/2 kilogram of it using my %'s in the original recipe and report back to us?
    ---------------------------------------
    50% beeswax
    30% Red, Tacky Lucas High Temp Grease
    10% Johnson's Paste Wax
    5% Dexron II or Dexron III Trans. Fluid
    5% STP Oil Treatment
    ----------------------------------------
    Yes, just about any kind of trans. fluid will work just fine.

Ben
    Last edited by Ben; 10-11-2012 at 03:08 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    375RUGER

3 tubes of the lucas red and tacky for $10 in my local store.

WOW, now you're talking
    a LOT of bullet lube !

Ben
    And yeh, I bought the 3 tubes. 3 was cheaper than buying 2. Do you think I can lube a couple dozen 7mm boolits with it? or should I go get another 3 tubes?
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Boolit Grand Master
    " a couple dozen " .......Ha

You can make a " wash tub full " of lube with those 3 tubes of Red and Tacky.

I just wish you could get all the beeswax to mix with the Red and Tacky for the same price.

Ben

mad a batch today

made a batch of Ben's red wow that's a lot of lube 6 cups of beeswax
    now all i have to do is pore it into a 1' mold etc.... for the lubersizer
    i sticked to Ben's formula i figure if it works why change it

Boolit Grand Master
    Net_Ranger101

That looks good.
    Keep us posted with your results.

Ben

Banned
    Looks like your forgot the beans and the burger.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast