RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
WidenersLoad DataRepackboxLee Precision
PBcastco Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Made more Ben's Red today

Boolit Bub
    Heh, it's not my figure, but it is perhaps my misinterpretation of what it means... after I saw what runfiverun said about melting temps of grease, I made some assumptions...

Boolit Grand Master
    MikeyPooh

After reading that label, I can easily see how you would make that assumption.

I just don't want someone reading this & feeling that they have to generate 540 degrees under Red and Tacky grease before it will begin to melt.

Ben
    Last edited by Ben; 10-04-2012 at 01:22 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    MikeyPooh

I'm not certain what " Drop Point " actually means ?
    It could mean the temp at which the grease is unable
    to dependably lubricate the parts ?

Ben
    Last edited by Ben; 10-04-2012 at 01:22 AM.

Boolit Bub
    Oh heck I have no idea, lol, I just saw the conversation about the temp to totally liquefy and saw my label, I thought maybe Lucas JUST changed their packaging and no one had seen it yet, so I figured I'd throw it out here for all the lube experts to have a peek at.

This is what the Lucas site had to say about "drop point"
    What does drop point mean?

**Drop point is the temperature at which the oil "drops out" or separates from the soap. Plain grease drops out between 300 and 350 degrees. Fast moving parts often generate temperatures far in excess of that. Lucas Hi-Temperature Grease drops out at temperatures in excess of 540 degrees. That's about as high as you can go and still maintain good lubricity but it should be high enough for virtually any situation. The dropping point should be one of the main considerations when shopping for grease.

Banned

the higher temp means it's suited for more severe duty, the red and tacky could be used in wheel bearings and not just for chassis grease.
    the 540 is the point at which the stearate used to gel the oil into grease melts.
    the whole thing will melt at a lower temp.
    but if you want to gel the base oil into grease, you need 540-f for the stearate to do it.

Boolit Master
    pages and pages of how to make and not make BsR lube.
    One report of using it at 2000fps.
    Has anyone pushed it to 2700+ yet? or even 2500?
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Boolit Grand Master
    375RUGER :

I've read no reports of anyone shooting Ben's Red at 2,700 fps ?

However, I'd be interested in seeing a qualified report on that topic .

Ben
    Last edited by Ben; 10-04-2012 at 05:36 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    375RUGER :

I've read no reports of anyone shooting Ben's Red at 2,700 fps ?

However, I'd be interested in seeing a qualified report on that topic .
    Awww. . .c'mon Ben! After all those tantalizing photos of your .30 caliber groups, you mean to tell us you've never gone for 2700? Shovel some more coal in that boiler and get back to us!

Though I'm thinking if you've got obturation and lube both figured out, there won't be a problem.
    Last edited by Bigslug; 10-05-2012 at 11:33 AM.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Grand Master
    I haven't gone past 2150 with it, no problems.

Boolit Grand Master
    Bigslug

Didn't Clint Eastwood say..........." A man has got to know his limitations ! "

Boolit Master

Yes. . .but he must FIND them first.
    WWJMBD?

Boolit Grand Master
    Ok, about limitations. I have been using Bens Red in a 375 H&H. A 270 gr bullet at 2100 is bearable to shoot for group off the bench. Push that same bullet over 2500 and it quickly stops being fun.

I find it much easier to shoot groups wi mild recoil than I do with heavy recoil. Ben's -06 at 1700 fps is enjoyable, crank it up to 2400 and the fun just seems to go away.

I know my limitations. I may try a few cast at higher velocities, I just won't shoot many groups. My limitations are based far more on fun than they are velocity.

Boolit Grand Master
    + 1 on btroj's remarks above.

If I want someone to beat me up, I'll hire a prize fighter to do it .

Shooting for me ( at my age ) should be and must be fun for me to continue to do it. I went through the need for the belted mags, & light - speed velocities many yrs. ago. I'm glad I'm finished with all that.

Yes, 1,700 fps with great accuracy in one of my favorite .30 cal. rifles makes for a very enjoyable fall afternoon.

If someone else wants to head in some other direction with their experimentation and goals , that is also fine....I seem to have settled on the areas that I enjoy. Wish I'd found this kind of joy in shooting yrs. ago.

Ben
    Last edited by Ben; 10-05-2012 at 11:17 PM.

Boolit Master

OK. . .this is really funny; the outer envelope for lube testing at velocity has been set due to dislike of recoil, NOT fear of leading, as it would be on any other shooting forum. Hee!

I guess I'm going shopping for a hot plate and some Christmas-colored grease this weekend. . .
    WWJMBD?

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    OK. . .this is really funny; the outer envelope for lube testing at velocity has been set due to dislike of recoil, NOT fear of leading, as it would be on any other shooting forum. Hee!

I guess I'm going shopping for a hot plate and some Christmas-colored grease this weekend. . .
    That's because there are experienced shooters here, not kids seeing how high they can pee on the wall!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

No longer living in the High Country, Australia, a lowlander now.
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    That's because there are experienced shooters here, not kids seeing how high they can pee on the wall!
    +1

Boolit Grand Master
    Recoil also tends to make small groups a bit tougher to shoot.

I also could care less how well a lube works in a velocity/pressure range where I will never use it.

A good lube is one that meets the needs of the person using it. Not sure how much more simply I can state it. Bens Lube has met my needs in all applications I have used it in so far, therefor I consider it a good lube. Really is that simple.

Boolit Grand Master
    Bens Lube has met my needs in all applications I have used it in so far, therefor I consider it a good lube. Really is that simple

I could not have said it better btroj..........

Ben

Boolit Master
    Ben,

What range of temperatures have you successfully used Ben's Red in? I live in Houston, TX and suspect our respective climates are similar. A single lube that works for rifle and handgun at temperatures from 40 to 85 degrees farenheit will cover about 99% of my shots.

Thanks and regards,

Tony

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast