Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
RepackboxLee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: Replacing Firing Pin

Boolit Mold

Replacing Firing Pin

I replaced the firing pin on my Ruger KP345 (semi 45acp) and I had trouble getting a couple of the little gizmoes back in. The gun seems to function fine without them! (ha ha ha) But, I figured I should keep playing with it, until I get them back in there. Although, they seem like they're just part of some elaborate safety system, that is probabaly overkill. Also, there's that darn spring that goes in the switch for the safety on the side of the slide. I know where it goes, but not which way it goes in. It fires primed brass fine.

Boolit Master

Probably a good idea to get all the "little gizmoes" back in. Perhaps you should try to find someone local to you who can show you how to reassemble your slide with all the safety related bits in place, or at least look for a YouTube video that shows the process so you can follow along a couple times. If you don't like the safety in your KP345, trade it for something more to your liking (but get it all back together correctly first, please!) -- a 1911, or a Glock, or even a High Point, but something you're comfortable using with all the designed-in features either enabled, or disabled (like removing a magazine safety) by someone qualified to do so.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by I'll Make Mine View Post
    Probably a good idea to get all the "little gizmoes" back in. Perhaps you should try to find someone local to you who can show you how to reassemble your slide with all the safety related bits in place, or at least look for a YouTube video that shows the process so you can follow along a couple times. If you don't like the safety in your KP345, trade it for something more to your liking (but get it all back together correctly first, please!) -- a 1911, or a Glock, or even a High Point, but something you're comfortable using with all the designed-in features either enabled, or disabled (like removing a magazine safety) by someone qualified to do so.
    Thanks. I'll figure it out. It's just annoying. There's these, iirc, two or three pin activated "pins" (or gizmoes, ha ha) that have to work just right for the firing pin to go through, else they catch it. And then with that spring, it only does the job going in one way, else it doesn't work right. It's like a rubics cube! lol

I'm just annoyed, with all the extra pins that don't seem to have any useful function, because it's just a gun; it's not a nuclear bomb!

Last edited by Esau; 11-12-2012 at 01:40 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

A bit too blase' about safety for my taste.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MtGun44 View Post
    A bit too blase' about safety for my taste.

Bill
    +1

Esau, those safety bits are there for a reason: to protect you and others around you. If you always shoot alone and never store the gun where others might pick it up and try to use it, do whatever you like, but since that's almost certainly not the case, please consider either learning how your gun goes together, or getting one that's simple enough to fit the level of learning you're willing to put in.

I've done pretty extensive work on my one semi-auto pistol -- but I made certain that I understood how all the parts worked together, and that they all worked as designed after my repair/modification (rebuilding a broken firing pin and cleaning up major burrs where the firing pin met the slide safety); I tested the safety with a primed, but empty case after I was done, to be sure it wouldn't fire when it wasn't supposed to, and would when it should.

If you're not up to that level of getting it right, perhaps you should consider taking up marbles -- or at least paying someone with the correct education and experience to do anything beyond a basic field strip on your pistol.

Boolit Master
    If it's annoying to disassemble and reassemble a gun then maybe you shouldn't be taking them apart.
    Those extra pins are probably very functional. I'm guessing they allow the decocker to function as it is supposed to.

Was there actually something wrong with the firing pin to begin with?
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Boolit Mold
    I took the initiative all on my own, to figure out what was wrong with the gun, order the part and get the schematic of the gun, without any help from any strangers off the internet.

It isn't my first gun, I've shot thousands of rounds and reload almost all my own ammo.

I'll also fix the gun all on my own. I came here to blow off a little steam and if somebody actually knows what I'm talking about great. Otherwise....

Boolit Grand Master
    You mention that you didn't assemble the gun completely and that one of the missing parts is from the safety.

All that and you can't understand the responses? Ever think that may be the problem? A gun missing parts isn't funny. The ha, ha, ha kinda sets people off when it is regarding safety.

I suggest you go with otherwise......

Boolit Master

Esau (or it is Bubba?), I certainly hope you aren't shooting next to me next time I'm out at the range.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Oh, once you spring a frame and destroy it, you may find those little parts do things you don't understand. In another thread you told us you weren't real good at making reliable ammunition. I'm seeing a trend here.
    Ditto on not wanting to be near you on a range.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Mold
    Well, I guess I learned my lesson. Those parts are all there for a good reason.

Boolit Grand Master

It is reassuring to read that comment, sir. Well said.

I will, in some cases, avoid purchasing a firearm with particular safety devices that
    I don't think are necessary or convenient, but as a general rule, I avoid disabling
    safety devices on guns.

Thinking through safety and doing the right thing is a good sign of maturity.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by MtGun44 View Post
    It is reassuring to read that comment, sir. Well said.

I will, in some cases, avoid purchasing a firearm with particular safety devices that
    I don't think are necessary or convenient, but as a general rule, I avoid disabling
    safety devices on guns.

Thinking through safety and doing the right thing is a good sign of maturity.

Bill
    Thanks.