WidenersInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad Data
Repackbox Titan Reloading

Thread: Type 38 Arasaka in 7/57

the upper left hand corner ie Washington state

Type 38 Arasaka in 7/57

Has any one ever seen a type 38 in this caliber?

Exblaster

I think Mexico bought some in 7x57, if I remember correctly. They're much sought after by collectors. Found this too:

Russia also purchased the remaining 35,000 7x57mm Mexican Arisaka Type 38 rifles which were not delivered back in 1911 due to the Mexican Revolution.

Guess they got around after that, some went to Spain, some to China, wouldn't doubt that the Finns had some too.
    Last edited by madsenshooter; 10-09-2012 at 11:34 AM.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    Conversion of a type 38 to 7x57 Mauser is a very common technique if the original barrel is beyond repair. I even have one converted by the Chinese to 7.62x39...the gun was shortened, magazine modified, bored and manually rifled ( it shows ).

The Mexican contract guns are another matter entirely. They will be standard configuration except for the caliber AND THE MEXICAN SNAKE/EAGLE STAMPED ON THE RECEIVER RING instead of the usual chysanthamum. It would also be heavily worn as these went through the 1910-1920 Mexican revolution.

If you have a gun that matches the description above, run......don't walk, to the nearest accredited Japanese Arisaka collector's website and post a picture. There should be some "minor" interest..............

Boolit Master
    Finnland sold off a bunch of Japanese rifles that had been in storage for decades, I think most were Type 30 but there may have been some Type 38 as well.
    IIRC they bought up as many rifles as they could find between world wars and ended up with some that they could not spare resources to manufacture cartridges for.

I wonder if any of the Russian purchased 7mm Arisakas were amoung those rifles.

the upper left hand corner ie Washington state
    Thank you for the information.

Exblaster