Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load DataRepackbox
Wideners Reloading Everything

Thread: Wehrmanns Geweher 8.15x46

Boolit Master

Wehrmanns Geweher 8.15x46

I have a chance to buy a Gew 98 style rifle that is chambered in 8.15x46. I looked at it a bit yesterday but didn't know much about it. It does look interesting now that I have looked online a bit about it. I don't remember seeing a makers mark on it. It did have 8.15 . 46 Norm on the receiver ring. It also had the word nitro on the chamber area of the barrel. It didn't appear to be refinished, no signs of the manufacturer being scrubbed from the receiver ring. The blueing was beautiful, almost like a fire blue. The bore was excellent. What do you Mauser experts think would be a fair offer? Any other insight you could share? The 8.15x46R looks like it would be a good cast boolit cartridge.

Lead is what those rifles were made to shoot. They use a "stop ring" PB lead bullet of 160 - 180 gr.

I have two German falling block rifles but, I'm not up to speed on the GEW 98 or the GEW 88 prices for these rifles but, my guess is $600 - 800 in good condition and $1000+ in pristine condition.

Frank

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    I can't find it at the moment, but I would swear that I saw a group buy discussion for the Stop Ring boolit yesterday? Anyone?
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

It may have been discontinued since the revition of NOE's order policy. I do know at least two people pulled out of it.

Frank

Boolit Master
    Cases can be made by triming and fire formin .32-40 cases. Some German manufacturers offered rifles in .32-40 as an alternative to the 8.15X46R. I've seen an old advert for a fine Gew88 actioned sporter offered in either chambering.
    Rim of the .32-40 is usually thicker, so some owners of falling block Schutzen type rifles prefer the fireformed cases in order to achieve near zero headgap, or make up for wear that produces excess or excessive headgap.

Boolit Master
    I thought I saw something when looking for molds and such for a Lebel rifle, and sure enough Buffalo Arms carries them with the stop ring for the 8.15x46r in 3 different sizes and one size as commercial cast boolits.

Boolit Master
    After thinking about the rifle all weekend, I am going to buy it tomorrow morning. Wish me luck! I will try to get pictures up soon.

Boolit Buddy

I have a form/trim die in 8.15x47 that I use to load for a ballard that was relined with a similar barrel to your rifle that had been removed from its Argentine Mauser action. You can make them from 30-30 cases too and they are more available. If you get it send me a pm and I'll do a few in some used 30-30 cases I have and send them to you to try. If you like them I'll either loan you the die or do your cases for you. Most any 321 bullet will probably do.

Boolit Buddy

I have a set of Hornady dies but I suggest C&H may have them for less cost. I had Lee make one of the old kits so I could use it as a straight line seater. Oh, the form/trim die is an old one from RCBS. Hornady calls it a 8.15x47r --I've seen about 5 different variations in names over the years for the same case.

I just got a BRNO 98 in 7x57 today - I wasn't aware they had made any in that caliber. Doesn't have a nation's stamp on it so I have no idea who they made it for.

Regarding reloading the 8.15x46R, You have to slug this cartridge. The grooves usually run between .314 and .321. While it wouldn't be dangerous to shoot a .321 in a .314 groove, as the 98 will not be over stressed, accuracy would probably be less than the right size bullet.

I form my cases buy running a shortened (start at 1.94 lg) 30/30 case through a 32/40 FL die with a .320 expander and then seeing if it will chamber (this is the lenght that will chamber in my rifle). Then adjust the length until it will chamber as I don't use a stop ring bullet. The throats are large and long in this cartridge. and then fire form it. You can then neck size using 32 Special dies (using a expander of the proper size) to load it. I set the case length to where the ID of the case is .001/.002 over the groove diameter. Sizing will then be minimal in the neck area and you'll have more neck supporting the bullet.

Even though 46mm is 1.811, most factory cases are 1.84 long (maybe why Hornaday calls it a 8.15x47R. If you use a stop ring bullet, you can use the case length to set the OAL to engrave the lands of the rifling.

Frank

Here is some info on these rifles.

http://translate.google.com/translat...G1SNNT_ENUS390

Frank

Boolit Master
    these guns were designed for mid-range target shooting. cartridges were typically available with swiss black under a wad on 2-3 different charge levels. bullets were started with muzzle or breach block seperately, in the classic application.

Banned
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=144707

I was in on this boolit, and out again when i discovered that is due august 2013.

I have an old bolt action rifle based on the 1871 mauser patern it has .316 groove to groove. I was lucky enough to aquire some boolits from some members made from the NOE 316299 mold and it is a sweet match. The mold is not availabel at this time but maybe some day. This cartridge has become my most accurate and my personal favorite it is just fun to shoot. I am sure you will love it.
    Why Johnny Ringo you look like someone just walked over your grave.