Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RotoMetals2RepackboxTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Wideners

Thread: Installing the Mojo MicroClick Snapsights

Boolit Man

Installing the Mojo MicroClick Snapsights

If you haven't seen them before, check out Mojo's Website, they make an amazingly well thought out aperture system for most military surplus guns (including AK's and SKS's). I've just finished installing the sights and figured I'd make an instructional video. The install process is extremely easy and 100% reversible if you so choose. I have wanted this setup for a while because it offers a low weight alternative to having a scope while also increasing the effectiveness of iron sights on my Mosin. I'm looking forward to getting to a range and seeing what can be done with this ingenious setup:

VIDEO

Have had those on my mosin for a while now . Love them, hit dead on with LPS , and just turn it 3 clicks and dead on with my cast loads ,

Boolit Man
    Just curious, since I still have to zero it, how exposed or indented is your hex screw at 100 yards?

Boolit Master
    On a pre bubbarized MN I did something similar by mounting a $30.00 fully click adjustable air rifle aperture sight on the 12mm dovetail beneath rear sight base. Works great.

I did this for a backup sight if scope should fail in the field. Once zeroed, removed and reinstalled, never off more than an inch at 50 yards.

Last edited by Hang Fire; 09-26-2012 at 12:38 AM.

Boolit Man
    That's actually pretty god damned ingenious, where did you find that aperture sight?

Boolit Master
    IIRC, bought it from Pyramyd Air, they are 35 bucks here.

Mendoza Diopter Sight, 11mm Dovetail

Retail: $39.99
    Our Price: $34.99

http://www.airgunwarehouseinc.com/py-a-2003.html

Boolit Man
    Tell me they make one that fits on a picatinny rail.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hang Fire View Post
    On a pre bubbarized MN I did something similar by mounting a $30.00 fully click adjustable air rifle aperture sight on the 12mm dovetail beneath rear sight base. Works great.

Two questions on this -- first, does it stay in place under recoil (if necessary, the sight could be notched to retain with a pin or screw through one of the original sight base pin holes); second, how well does the aperture work that far from your eye? If it works well, I might just have to get one...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by I'll Make Mine View Post
    Two questions on this -- first, does it stay in place under recoil (if necessary, the sight could be notched to retain with a pin or screw through one of the original sight base pin holes); second, how well does the aperture work that far from your eye? If it works well, I might just have to get one...
    There is no movement of sight from recoil. The scope mount (cost of mount was less than ten bucks) attaches the same way, but it has a dog set screw which locks down into a shallow recess I milled into top of the 12mm dovetail to prevent movement.

The aperture works great, the disk shown screwed in is more for precision shooting, I normally have it removed so it acts as a ghost ring.
    Last edited by Hang Fire; 09-27-2012 at 02:15 AM.

Boolit Master

Nice. Tomorrow's payday; I'll put off buying Prvi Partizan (hunting) ammunition, if I have to, and get that sight instead (I can have it here and installed before my Appleseed on the 20th of October -- and I'll have another chance at the Prvi before the season opens here). MUCH easier to adjust in than the drift adjustment front sight windage on my 91/30 -- and I can put the original sight back on in twenty minutes if desired. Also, that's about $40 cheaper than a set of .22 rings and LER scope, and far more rugged.

Edit: I see that all the air gun sellers have switched to a nearly identical Williams aperture sight (which I can't see as a bad thing), at the same price (also good) -- according to this thread on another board, the Mendoza tooling broke and they decided not to restart production. It seems PyramydAir still has the Mendoza version with a notch, but it looks too fine for the eye distance on a Mosin (and I'd really rather have the aperture anyway, if I'm going to spend money on a sight).
    Last edited by I'll Make Mine; 09-27-2012 at 07:51 PM.

Boolit Master
    I got the 11mm dovetail to Williams mount from Amazon, matter of fact, they were so cheap I bought two of them.

They still have them, but only 8 bucks now, so cheaper than what I paid.

http://www.amazon.com/UTG-11mm-Weave.../dp/B001CJ67E6

UTG 11mm to Weaver Adapter, Adjustable
    by UTG
    4.5 out of 5 stars See all reviews (130 customer reviews) | Like 1348806546 false 1 15 15 14 (15)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    List Price: $12.99
    Price: $7.97
    Deal Price:
    You Save: $5.02 (39%)

Boolit Master

Hang Fire, that's a good deal, too, and I've got a red dot that would be just right on that rail -- but I need good iron sights more than I need to mount the red dot, so I've just ordered the Williams aperture sight from PyramydAir; economy/slow shipping should still have it here a week before I need at the Appleseed shoot.

Boolit Master
    Sounds good, the Williams sight should be a good one, for they don't make junk. Let us know how it works out.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hang Fire View Post
    Sounds good, the Williams sight should be a good one, for they don't make junk. Let us know how it works out.
    Will do -- I should have it by next weekend, but probably won't get to shoot with it until the Appleseed (Oct. 20-21).

Boolit Master

Sigh.

Got the Williams sight in Friday's mail (along with an education -- who knew Fedex Ground handed off to USPS for the last leg from their nearest major hub, in my case Charlotte?), but didn't get a chance to install it until this afternoon after work; I combined the job with shimming my action and floating my barrel, hoping to reduce or eliminate the change in zero as the barrel heats (I expect to have smoke coming off the residual cosmoline in the wood by the time I finish a day's shooting at the Appleseed).

Unfortunately, after the shimming and floating, when I removed the original rear sight and went to mount the Williams, I discovered a critical difference between this sight and the Mendoza it replaced at PyramidAir: the Williams has a tighter curve and longer extension downward outside the left (from the shooter's perspective) side of the dovetail, and I'd have had to take a good size notch out of the stock wood just above the front end of the finger groove in order to let the sight tighten down on the dovetail.

Looks like I'll be shooting the Appleseed with my original rear sight; hopefully my Smith Sights front sight (ordered in late July) will arrive before the day, so I can at least adjust elevation there along with windage to sight in -- once done, I can use the rear sight range adjustment for the long range shooting on the second day. On the bright side, I do plan to get a .22 rifle within the next year, and this sight should fit nearly any .22 in current manufacture (worst case, it might require building up the front sight, if the original sights are very low to the bore).

Boolit Master
    Thats a bummer.

Boolit Master

Well, could be worse -- I got the confirmation e-mail today that my Smith Sights front sight has shipped (Kentucky to North Carolina, should be here Thursday or Friday), so I'll be good to go for the Appleseed and my rifle will look original unless you get very close to the front sight (Josh modifies original Mosin Nagant sights for adjustable post height; the only visual give aways are the taller post and locking setscrew on the front of the sight) or pull the barrelled action off the stock (to see the shims under the action). I'll just have to remember to take my punch sets and a hammer to the shoot so I can adjust windage the old fashioned way.

As for the sight I have, it'll keep until I get a .22 to put it on; should be a big step up from the cheap leaf rear sights I recall on a lot of low-end .22 rifles (and most of those have a suitable dovetail).

Longer term, I've got a scheme for adding windage adjustment to an original 91/30 rear sight leaf -- doesn't really look difficult, but I don't think I can do it without a milling machine, unless I can build a carrier for my Dremel that will do the job.

Boolit Master
    A small milling machine can be a blessing for gunsmithing projects.

Years ago I bought the cheap Chinese mini-mill and mini-lathe and they have proved invaluable. They come with faults (for the price, is to be expectedf) but none that cannot be corrected or worked around.

Link is to my mini machine page, I have not updated it in years and is something I keep putting off.

http://hstrial-rchambers.homestead.c...hine_shop.html

Boolit Master

Unfortunately, I don't have space to set up a mill (don't really have space for my lathe, either -- it's five feet from my dining room table, with a drill press, band saw, and belt/disc sander next to it); worse, if I had a mill, I'd have to give up all thought of shooting on any regular basis in order to afford tooling for it (and then it'd take me a year to buy the tooling needed for, say, a small steam engine project that takes 20-30 hours of actual work).

The closest I can come is to get a milling slide for my lathe, which I hope to do someday -- but even that milling slide accessory costs more than I paid for the only rifle I own...