RotoMetals2Load DataInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: another 38 blackpowder pistol.

another 38 blackpowder pistol.

wowww did i just have a hoot in the front yard. i been threatening myself to load my 357 with real powder and today was the day.

loaded down n dirty and fast for my ruger GP 100.

shoveled 26 grains of GOEX Cartridge powder. had some lead boolits that are coated with some kinda stuff so i loaded em rite on the powder with no fuss...using the boolit to compress the powder. primed with CCI 550 magnum primers as that is what i have on hand for small pistol primers.

little info on the revolver here first...RUGERs GP100 is one of the simplest revolvers made now-a-days. it dissasembles very easy and feels rite in the hand. the trigger group comes off in a unit as does the cylender. hammer and hammer spring are easy to remove with the grips removed...all in all a perfect bp revolver of modern manufacture.

took these 12 loaded shells outside and shoved 6 into the cylender. first booming report took me by surprise and i imediately thought WOOO what a terrific round...then the second was fired and i paid more attention to the FELT recoil and realised that that BIG boom was all talk and no teeth...but to listen to it you would think that a real peice of artilary was going off.

these hurried loaded shells shot very well with no mishaps and i was able to hit all the rocks i aimed at. this is such a fun round that i see way more in my future. my grandson will get a fun surprise when i let him shoot these mild recoiling rounds and the big cloud of smoke will make him laugh im sure. he is turning into a pretty good shot with this revolver too.

after shooting 2 cylender fulls the cylender was getting gummy as there was no lube in this load at all but...the tooth brush on the barrel face and across the cylender face and it was good to go if only i had had more loaded up but.......another day!

Boolit Master

And another convert is born...

I always found that if I wanted to turn mildly interested person into a seriously interested person in our shooting sports, it is to hand them anything that shoots a black powder cartridge. The fun factor just goes up exponentially.

Boolit Bub
    The 38 special was originally a PB cartridge ...right?

Boolit Master

Apparently it was, though it was offered in smokeless as early as 1899.