RepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLee PrecisionWideners
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: .357 for deer?

Boolit Master

A few years ago, I used a 686 with a 6" barrel and iron sights to harvest a couple of does. I used 158 gr. jacketed soft point. The first deer was a smaller one that I spine shot at 15 yards. The big girl I took was at 60 yards. It was a heart/lung shot. She ran approx 50-60 yards and dropped within sight of my stand.

My advice to you is to know your own limitations with the revolver. Practice at different yardage and from different positions until you are confident. You can't imagine how excited and nervous (and shakey) you will get when that deer comes within 50 yards or so and presents a shot. Even if you are an experienced hunter with a rifle, the revolver makes for a heart-pounding experience.
    Jon

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Junior1942 View Post
    That guy is a really swell fellow, too
    I think he sometimes hangs around here! Regards, Woody
    Take a kid along

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior1942 View Post
    That guy is a really swell fellow, too

Yep. I'd have to agree. Writes some good stuff too, in case anyone hasn't read the other articles on that site.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

One deer I ver killed was farther than 100 yards. Most have been at 50 feet or less.
    Yes, I'm often sleeping in the blind and hear 'em.
    It's a silly way to get meat for jerky, but it works for me.
    A .38 special WC or SWC at 800 fps in the head, neck, or base of the neck will drop a deer quite nicely at short range.
    same bullets, hardened and at .357 velocity thump hard and adecertainly insurance, but 100 FEET is my limit...same with a hot 45 colt... and they WILL drop deer in their tracks with properly placed shots,

Hi all, new guy here but I too plan to take a deer this year with 357 in Marlin 1894 with 158 gr RCBS CM. Have taken deer before with Hornady 158 gr xtp's before out of same gun but am looking forward to doing it with my own cast.

Boolit Grand Master

This will be my hunting load this year.

Target was at 50 yards offhand and I was shooting as fast as I could work the lever and positively identify the target. First three shots are the ones closest to center. The jug was at 100 yards offhand and I was just screwing around. Many would not be happy with this. I rarely have a shot over 50 yards. And all rounds are within a 4" area so it's half of what is considered "acceptable" by a lot of hunters. That 170 grain hits hard and fast and I have no doubt it will humanely harvest a whitetail. Now if I didn't miss twice this morning w/ my bow I'd be a lot happier right now

Brought to you by TapaTalk.

Boolit Grand Master

Blammer & Junior!!!!! Now how in the world can ya go wrong with that combination?
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by colonelhogan44 View Post
    This guy did a lot of work making hog loads, and 357 seems to work well for him.

http://www.castbullet.com/shooting/rossi-s.htm
    A hog is a much tougher animal than a deer. Nuff said.
    Anything that will take a hog will take a deer.

I'll agree on the hogs. They are tougher, not bullet proof though.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Shot my first deer in 1981 with Ruger BH 6.5 barrel max load from manual with Sierra 150gr hp

Worked fine at 75 yards.

For small hogs should be fine. With those over 100# I'd like something like a 41 or 44mag or bigger. Nothing like a 45 to put stuff down.

Tried the BIG bores and its too much of a good thing in my opinion. OK putting on my welding gear so I don't get burnt, Flame away.

I remember the Sierra 150 gr JHC, and it was a accurate bullet. I never killed anything with it. I'd love a .45 Blackhawk or Bisley. If I ever buy another handgun thats gonna be my next handgun purchase. Don't worry I won't turn up the heat on you.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Boolit Buddy Nocturnal Stumblebutt's Avatar
    Well I bought a .357 magnum Rossi M92 tonight for deer season this fall. Thanks for the input everyone.

Boolit Master
    Sounds like a good choice!I'll be trying my 16"barreled 1894 CP (why port a 357 rifle?) and hope to get lucky!!!
    Aaron

Boolit Buddy Nocturnal Stumblebutt's Avatar
    Yeah, I think it will work well for me, I was given, very generously, some 180 gr RF GC to load for it, so hopefully I'll be making venison stew by mid december.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Nocturnal Stumblebutt View Post
    Well I bought a .357 magnum Rossi M92 tonight for deer season this fall. Thanks for the input everyone.
    I bought one in 44 mag a few months ago and have enjoyed it throughly. I really like pistol caliber rifles. They're easy on powder, easier to reload, generally cheaper brass, light recoiling and still pack enough heat for most medium game at reasonable ranges plus the larger bores allow for more "killing power" before you need a gas check.

I rubbed a few coats of Johnson's Paste Wax on mine and it really improved the finish without having to strip, refinish ect.

I posted some pics here:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=163401

Boolit Man
    Been reading JUNIOR for years now and RESPECT all his research and experience Keep it up JUNIOR !!! Bought a Rossi 92 in 357 about 2 months ago and went RIGHT to JUNIORS articles FIRST after getting it to revive my memory of the data . Loading up the final batch of 180s this after noon after work . they will work both in my Rossi and my Stainless Black hawk .

Boolit Man
    I'm surprised know one mentioned a 173 gr Keith bullet.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Nocturnal Stumblebutt View Post
    This will be my first fall hunting deer here in Indiana and I'm curious about using .357 magnum to hunt. Is it enough? Or do I need 44 mag? I ask because recreationally I shoot a lot of 38 spl and have quite a few revolvers in 38/357. I'd like to hunt with it because if I choose a new firearm for hunting chambered for .357 I will get a lot more use out of it since it will chamber my standard plinking round. I'm not opposed to a designated deer revolver/rifle, but I'd prefer to spend the money on something I can use year round.

Thanks everyone.
    I would suggest the 185 grain, wide flat nose, gas checked bullet from Beartooth Bullet over 16 grains of H110. This is a very potent deer load. Ask Marshall at Beartooth Bullet about his extensive experience using this load.

I use this same bullet in a .357 Maximum with a different powder charge. Its a deer hammer. With that said, buy yourself a .357 Magnum Handi Rifle and ream it out to the .357 Maximum. Its very simple and can be done for about $25 !

Feel free to PM me if you have questions.

Quote Originally Posted by woody402 View Post
    I'm surprised know one mentioned a 173 gr Keith bullet.
    So am I. One of my hunting buddies uses them in his Colt Python and has taken many deer with it. I cast and load them for him, and the boolit with lube weighs in at 173 gr. It is a great deer getter with my H110 loads.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NAHC Life Member
    TSRA Life Member

Unlike most things in life, knowledge can be given away freely and never be diminished

In Remembrance

Nice choice.

I have been shooting the .357 for more than fifty years.
    When I started shooting hand guns 45 autos were fifteen or twenty dollars and often you got a bunch of ammo with it for that money.

I bought my first Ruger flattop 4 & 5/8ths .357 in 1957.
    The very best info on the .357 in a rifle is Paco Kelleys. Parallels what I did with mine.

Link here. http://www.leverguns.com/articles/pa...literature.htm

Pretty much all you ever have to know.

Life is good