Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionLoad DataWidenersRepackbox
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: Question about Remington 514

Boolit Grand Master

Question about Remington 514

I have the option of buying an old, but in VERY good condition, Remington 514. The guy wants $150 for it. Is this a good rifle and is $150 a good price for it?

Boolit Buddy
    Jim: That's not a "bad" price for a 514 in really nice shape, but personally I prefer the 510 in single shot or one of the 512 or 511 models if you like tube or magazine feed. I believe the 514 was designed to get the retail price lower. You can find really nice 510 single shots for $125 and up. -Ed

Boolit Buddy
    The seller is surely asking retail --- or more. I have a 514, and it's a good shooter but it always was a real entry level gun. As EdS mentioned; the 510 is a better built rifle.

I'm currently trying to deal on a real nice 512 that a gun store has priced @ $195.00 --- which, in my opinion, is too much.

Vendor Sponsor

Jim: My Rem 514 was my first real gun. It was $15.00! in 1963. I sold it and then bought it back 10 years later for $15.

I think $150 is a bit stiff for that gun. Really, more like $50 seems like a fair price. I know I would NOT pay over $50 for one, no matter what condition.

However I already have one so this doesn't affect me.

If I was going to spend that kind of money on a single shot .22 I think it would be on a TC break action gun. The kids style Encore is $199.00 MSRP, and it would make a great coon gun. I just saw one the other day, and if it had been the "camo version" instead of the "fuschia version" I would have bought it.

Street price was $149.95. 5 times the gun a 514 is.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 09-26-2012 at 06:46 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

In Remembrance

Any older Remington

or, for that matter even the old Mossberg guns are far superior in quality to the new guns being sold now except the premium priced ones.

I try to buy the old Remingtons for around a hundred or less according to condition. Prices on old guns are increasing along with the new ones.

I do like the double locking lugs of the Remingtons, and the triggers.

I just traded a 512 Sportmaster for a Savage NRA 19. It is a sickness.

Life is good