MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: Ruger 10/22 Titanium Firing Pin??

Question Ruger 10/22 Titanium Firing Pin??

I have been looking at the Power Custom Titanium firing pin in my Brownells catalog. They claim it provides a faster lock time and more positive ignition. I was wondering if anyone here had tried one of these and if it was a good idea, a bad idea, or just a waste of money?

Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Dipperman

Boolit Master
    No perceptible difference from a de-burred and polished stock pin from my experience. Neat, but not needed.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Quote Originally Posted by NoZombies View Post
    No perceptible difference from a de-burred and polished stock pin from my experience. Neat, but not needed.
    I agree. The key is de-burred and polished. I've done both.
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

A fishing buddy of mine once said of flashy lures: "they're designed to catch fishermen, not fish".

I think this is a apt description of many of the accessory parts for 10/22s.

A good aftermarket trigger did do some good for mine, along with shimming the action tighter in the stock.

After that, careful selection of ammo reduced the dispersion to about 1 MOA, (off bags at 50 yards, in calm air, using a 5x scope).

If you want better than that, start with a bolt gun or a Stevens 44 single shot.

Phil
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Buddy
    On the other hand, the titanium firing pin will make the rifle lighter to carry (LOL)! -Ed

Quote Originally Posted by EdS View Post
    On the other hand, the titanium firing pin will make the rifle lighter to carry (LOL)! -Ed
    Only because yer wallet weighs less.
    Cognitive Dissident

That’s a big waste of money!!! What you’re looking for is a more consistent ignition, not positive ignition. The 10/22 was designed as an ammo burner, not a tack driver. There are inherent flaws in the 10/22’s bolt/ignition system that can be fixed. But it takes reworking the whole bolt not just the fp (firing pin).

Some key areas that need worked on with the 10/22 bolt group:
    The fp, it needs polished/debured and the tip that hits the rim reshaped for a more consistent ignition.
    The bolt face needs to have the head space redone. Most 10/22’s have .055” to .065” of head space in the bolt face. .043” is ideal. The more head space the bolt has the looser it holds the rim against the breach face.
    The bolt body needs polished & a pin put above the fop to keep the fp from rising up in the bolt. It’s an extremely common problem with the 10/22, there’s nothing there to stop the fp from rising up except the receiver. The fp will hit the shell 1 time with it all the way down & all the way up next time creating inconsistent ignition which in turn affects accuracy. The back of the bolt body also needs to be reshaped with more radius. This will let the bolt reset quicker & allow straighter hammer hits on the fp (stronger).
    Doing these simple things will tighten your 10/22’s groups up considerable. There’s enough difference that a chronograph will clearly pick up on the difference, IE a lower SD with the same test ammo in a before & after test.

When I do any polishing on any bolts, trigger groups, slides,fp's or other gun parts. I like to treat them with a moly paste. The moly will get into the pores of the metal & make everything extremely slick & take any polishing job to the next level.

A 10/22 bolt/fp that I polished, pined, reshaped the bolt & fp.

[IMG][/IMG]

Fp hits on cases after the fp was reshaped.

[IMG][/IMG]

Some 25yd 5-shot groups with a cheap match ammo.

[IMG][/IMG]

Some 50yd 5-shot groups with a little better match ammo.

[IMG][/IMG]

good shooting there - so that's with a standard Ruger 10/22 barrel?

No, those groups were done with the cheap bc bbl (butler creek) that everyone complained about. Something about they're junk, anyway I bought this bbl used off a guy for $35. He said he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it. He used the money from this bbl to help fund his new wonder bbl, a green mountain.

So he's out at the range with this new & improved bbl he's calling a laser & I proceed to smoke him soooooo bad with the junk bc bbl, he left the range. The guy got po'd & still doesn't talk to me to this day.

10/22 bbl's are actually a pretty good bbl, they just have extremely loose, junk chambers. Take a stock ruger bbl & touch up the crown, cut 1/4" off the bbl shank & recut the chamber with a good target reamer & you'll end up with a real sleeper. Finish reamers can be bought from $30 to $50 & their worth every penny.

A reamer chart for ptg reamers, I like & use their lilja reamer. You will notice that the smaller/tighter chambers are all match chambers.

[IMG][/IMG]

I chose the lilja reamer because I usually shoot low to mid-grade match ammo in my 10/22. The lower the grade of match ammo the longer it is. They have found that a 22 bullet likes to be seated aa certain depth into the leade of the chamber (the distance between part b & d on the chart) for optumium accuracy. When you get into plinking/blammo/hunting ammo the bullets are way longer (as much as .060" longer) than match ammo to try to extend out further into the sporter chambers in most hunting/sporter rifles.

[IMG][/IMG]

My 10/22 that shot these groups.

[IMG][/IMG]

Boolit Grand Master
    My bolts have been head spaced, firing pins profiled and pinned. Been jeweled as well but that is strictly cosmetic.

Take your $30 plus shipping that would be spent on this useless product, and send it along with your bolt to one of these guys instead.
    You will see a NOTICEABLE difference in your groups.

http://community-2.webtv.net/RandyAt...ork/index.html

https://sites.google.com/site/quesplace/

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Smile Thank You!

I just wanted to thank everyone who responded to my question. I really appreciate the input.

Thank you everyone, very much.

Dipperman

In Remembrance

Forest

has some good pointers.
    I just checked the rim thicknes of five different 22 cartridges. All were no more than .043", most were near .041" .
    The bolt relief on my 10/22 when checked through the magazine opening wirh feeler gauges measures .057" .

Some careful triming and tuning can't hurt. I will be looking for a good, used, cheap chamber reamer.

Life is good

Good, used, cheap? Buying a used reamer is a **** shoot. New ones don't cost all that much, and you will know what you're getting.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    Years back I bought that Titanium FP for my MKII. Well, it broke and put a good dent on the edge of my chamber. I was not happy. I would not recommend this product.