WidenersLee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Digital Powder Scales

Digital Powder Scales

Would like to know which Digital powder scale is reliable? Thinking of buying one but don't have any experience with one.

Digital Powder Scales

I bought a Frankfort Arsenal DS-750 Digital Scale about a year ago. And to date it has and is just as accurate as my Pacific M balance beam scale. Or the Pacific is just as accurate as the Frankfort. And I check them against each other all the time.
    Last edited by Uncle Jimbo; 09-25-2012 at 10:49 AM. Reason: World's worst speller.

Boolit Master
    My Dillon has done it's job for well over 15 yrs.

My Hornady gs1500 gets terrible reviews but to date every time I have checked it against my high end RCBS beam scale it has been spot on. It does measure in .2 grain increments though so it's not great for super precise loading but I have never needed that much accuracy

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by LUBEDUDE View Post
    My Dillon has done it's job for well over 15 yrs.

Same here! However, when I measure powder I use my 5-0-5 scale. Just can't break old habits.

Larry

I to use the 505 scale for powder weights. I use the RCBS digital scale for bullet weights. The digital scale must to be re-zeroed each time I weigh powder charges which is frustrating. Therefore, I trust the 505 beam scale more for powder weights. Both scales weigh charges and bullets the same.

Boolit Bub
    i just got an acculab vic123 and it is awesome measures down to .02gn and beats the cabela's digital i had before. i rechecked some charges with my new one and a couple were almost a grain off.

the acculab has been discontinued and was replaced by the Sartorius AY123

After the little experience I have had with my newly acquired PACT digital, I have been pleased with how it works.

Boolit Master

I got an MTM reasonable price unit from Sinclair. Had it for 3 years now and I still like it a lot. I think it cost about 30 bucks. enjoy Mike
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by largom View Post
    Same here! However, when I measure powder I use my 5-0-5 scale. Just can't break old habits.

Larry
    Same here with the Dillon. Too bad the new version has a lower capacity. Bummer.

Take care

r1kk1

I don't trust any digital scale for powder, any scale I can afford is just not accurate enough for working up loads.
    I do have a Dillon electronic scale I use pretty frequently for weighing bullets, and other things that don't have to be so perfect.
    Here is a great post re: accuracy of digital scales.
    http://www.mnguntalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=34414

Boolit Grand Master
    Wrench--

Many thanks for that link. Some real food for thought right there.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

I have a couple RCBS units, the 750 and the 1500 chargemaster. I also have a couple beam scales, an older Lyman and and even older Pacific. They all work, and I can't say any one is more "accurate" than the other (the Lyman "settles" faster than the Pacific)..I check them against each other occasionally and I also have two different sets of check weights I use. I find however that I use the RCBS 750 rangemaster more than any other because it's just faster and more convenient to use than the beam scales. I've had both RCBS electronic scales for quite a few years and have had zip issues with either.. they are not cheap, however the top of the line RCBS beam scale (1010) costs a little more than the 750 Rangemaster electronic. As good as I think these two electronic scales are I wouldn't be without a beam scale.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by novalty View Post
    After the little experience I have had with my newly acquired PACT digital, I have been pleased with how it works.
    Same here! But my PACT has been reliable for over 20 years! Still accurate and dependable. It is accurate and sensitive enough that I cant leave a fan on near it, as the air currents will effect the readings. Cant beat it!
    "with liberty and justice for all"...must be 18 or older, not available in all states, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply. D. Stanhope

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." George Mason Co-author of the Second Ammemdment

Wrench, Also thanks for the link it opened my eyes wide about digital scales. I guess I'll stick to the balance beam style that I have been using for 35 yrs. I sure don't want a 44 mag blowing up in my face because of over charging.

I have a lee balance beam scale, and two digital, "no name" scales. The "no-name" digitals always match, but both differ from the Lee scale, So, I am inclined to believe them over the Lee scale. I may send it back to Lee to be re-calibrated. (I know that you can adjust the tare but, it shouldn't be off as much as it is).

Boolit Buddy
    Use the Pact BBKII every day very pleased with it.

Horace

Read the article, interesting..I'm sure it's true and factual. Anybody got any "scientific" info on how "accurate" beam scales really are??? Worn edges, a little dust on the poise, not quite level, a nick or two on the poise weights, you get the picture. If you think beam scales are more accurate then by all means use them, but I figure if I turn on my electronic scale, zero it, put a 10 gr. check weight in the pan and it reads 10gr. or a combination of several check weights and it gives me the correct reading, then thats good enough for me....oh, but wait, how accurate are the check weights, are they "lab" tested, have they been MRI'ed to check for metal consistancy, are they certified by the internet and U-Tube Accurate Reloaders Association for finding fault with everthing??? if not you're risking your life by possibly getting a 1gr. overcharge. Get real. If your reloading techniques are that bad, take up golf...I haven't had my coffee yet...

Boolit Mold
    I've used a PACT digital dispenser (built for RCBS) for years and find no fault with it. Fast, accurate, trouble-free.

Boolit Master
    "Would like to know which Digital powder scale is reliable? "

Define "reliable". They are very inexpensive Chinese made 'throw-aways', no one bothers to repair them; if one fails under warrantee the seller tosses them and sends out a new one.

Those who have electronic scales that still work love 'em, others tend to feel differently and a LOT of digital users have gone back to beams for the long term reliability they offer. My beam scale reads exactly the same today as it did the day I took it out of the box in '65 and it's ready to go that much longer. I have a cheap digital I use for bullets and cases, not for powder.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast