RotoMetals2WidenersTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline FabricationRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: Belding & Mull dispenser help

Boolit Buddy

Belding & Mull dispenser help

I have a "new" B & M dispenser on the way without a charge tube. Any hints on making my own would be appreciated. I will not be switching loads so I would not need to have it adjustable. The factory ones have a ring with screw, and was wondering what the purpose of this was.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    The ring with a screw is what holds the adjustment slide in place. I suppose you could use an empty cartridge case cut off at the right length for the charge you want, if it would fit up into the hole on the bottom of the measure. Another option would be a muzzle loader powder measure. Or maybe just get ahold of MVA and see about getting a powder tube from them.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

As Don said, a muzzle loader powder tube would work. You will need one that measures
    .499 / .500. A little bigger can be brought down by wrapping emery paper around it, but I wouldn't want to take much off.

You do know that Belding & Mull are back in business and that charge tubes are available ? They are a little pricey though.

Call up Buffalo Arms and ask them if they would mic the o.d. of this one

http://www.buffaloarms.com/Black_Pow....aspx?CAT=4785

In fact, I might just do it myself, my friend needs one and I could use a spare.

Where in S.W. Ohio ? I live just outside Akron....

Also as Don said, the ring with the screw is for locking the plunger. Since the brass tube is a bit thin to try and tap, the ring is steel and has the threads in it. There is a clearance hole drill in the brass tube. The locking screw is threaded into the ring and goes through the clearance hole and presses up against the plunger. The ring is a pretty good fit on the brass tube so it doesn't slop around.

How new is new ? If it is a bit tarnished, a little bit of Mother's Mag Wheel polish and a paper towel and some elbow grease will shine it up !

This is the one I redid for Smitty Pratt in New Hampshire.

Last edited by drcook; 09-23-2012 at 11:36 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    I don't know if this is common knowledge or not, but parts interchangeability on the old B&M measures is a tiny bit problematic. Each measure was hand finished, so fitment is NOT a slam dunk. I just recently took delivery of a brand spankin' new "micrometer super magnum" charge tube from B&M. Very well made, and worth the price, IMHO. It took a little work with some fine wet/dry paper, emery paper, and polish to bring it down to a fit like the original that came with it.

http://www.beldingandmull.com/chargetubes.html

If you've worked out charges and have the skill and equipment to make a dedicated charge tube that FITS RIGHT, that's certainly a fine idea. Me? Not so much. Mine came to me with the small micrometer tube, but I was having to do repeat dumps to get larger charges, and I wanted to do it in one go so I don't get under or over charged. No damaged guns or shooters allowed.

Since I load blackpowder, and anyone else that does and weighs their charges, you need an adjustable measure as BP changes weight per volume when changing manufacturers lots of powder

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by drcook View Post
    As Don said, a muzzle loader powder tube would work. You will need one that measures
    .499 / .500. A little bigger can be brought down by wrapping emery paper around it, but I wouldn't want to take much off.

You do know that Belding & Mull are back in business and that charge tubes are available ? They are a little pricey though.

Call up Buffalo Arms and ask them if they would mic the o.d. of this one

In fact, I might just do it myself, my friend needs one and I could use a spare.

Where in S.W. Ohio ? I live just outside Akron....

Also as Don said, the ring with the screw is for locking the plunger. Since the brass tube is a bit thin to try and tap, the ring is steel and has the threads in it. There is a clearance hole drill in the brass tube. The locking screw is threaded into the ring and goes through the clearance hole and presses up against the plunger. The ring is a pretty good fit on the brass tube so it doesn't slop around.

How new is new ? If it is a bit tarnished, a little bit of Mother's Mag Wheel polish and a paper towel and some elbow grease will shine it up !

This is the one I redid for Smitty Pratt in New Hampshire.

Will probably head to my local gun shop and take a look at their muzzle loading dispensers and try to find one that fits the B & M. Have not seen the unit yet, but the excellent posted photos showed a very shiny top, and nice black paint on bottom. Did not look refinished as there were a few paint chips.

I live close to Dayton.
    I live close to Dayton.

Boolit Master
    Use a 45/70 or 45 basic hull cut to the length you want and bell the case to fit. Or drill and tap the primer hole and use 1/4-20 large head screw to make it adjustable.

Boolit Master

I got a B&M from long ago but minus the measure tube. Got one of the ML adjustable measure and sanded it to fit.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

That shiny top is actually a steel (maybe stainless) freeze plug for an engine. The top was missing when I got the one in the picture. If anyone needs a top, if you do a search on my posts, there is one where I posted the part nbr for that top. If fits perfectly.

There is also a top for sale out on eBay right now.

I just spoke to Buffalo Arms. They measured that powder measure and I believe it is going to work !!

Boolit Buddy
    I ordered one from Belding & Mull. Not much info on website; however a call took care of it. Am looking forward to trying a "vintage" measure.

a B&M makes reloading pretty quick. You do have to learn to be repetitive in you motions to get it to repeat. I weigh each and every charge myself, and these measures sure make it fast. Push the lever, pour it onto the beamscale pan, trickle it to weight and pour it down the drop tube.

pretty fast

Boolit Grand Master

I have several made from 45-70 shell cases with a steel insert and 10/32 all thread rod threaded into the primer hole drilled out and threaded. Works very well and easy to adjust. Nut to lock it. I have a couple being made from 45/120 brass for large charges.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

I still use almost exclusively one of my old B&M powder measures, it's very accurate. I only had one drop tube, my father just made me a few extras a couple weeks ago, turned out pretty good. Most I see for sale are very expensive. Made from brass stock and one from copper tubing; the copper one needs a little bit removed to fit but they all work great.

Even the adjustable ones can be set and left alone for a pet load, the set screws tend to do a good job of staying put.
    I cast, therefore I am (well supplied with bullets!)

NRA Life Member