Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackbox
Load Data Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mcafee Antivirus, can't register

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MtGun44 View Post
    Use Microsoft Security Essentials. Free and works very well. Also, make sure you run
    Windows Update regularly.

HEY! COOL! I just noticed got a second Gold Boolit!

Bill
    Point, game, and match.
    That is all I have been using and it has been years since I have had a virus.
    Mind you I DO NOT USE OUTLOOK or Explorer, or any microsoft product on the internet.
    The other solution is to use Linux - used that too. Great security, stable, but a pain in the *** to get some stuff to load and run.

Boolit Bub
    Ignorant question here,
    How do I tell if I need to download the 32 bit or the 64 bit? Now running windows 7.

Not as computer savy since DOS went away,

Al

Boolit Grand Master

Unless you specifically got 64 bit Win 7 you probably have the 32 bit version.
    But maybe the default is 64 bit on Win 7.

Click on the Windows symbol in the bottom left corner, then right click on the word
    "Computer" in the right column (words only in this column), and select "Properties"

It will tell you if you have 64 bit or 32 bit. This computer (company owned) has
    Win 7 Enterprise and it is 64 bit, but I think some of the home or basic versions may
    be 32 bit. Basically, it comes down to how big a hard drive (and mem) you need to
    be able to address as to how big a word you need. In engineering, we have been
    using 64 bit for years to keep roundoff error down in huge, repetitive engineering
    software calculations, but nobody else needs it for accuracy, only for enough
    addresses to be able to use these modern gigantic hard drives.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Karpinski or AVG, dump IE. Note: both are foreign, you go through a GB store front to buy them. Macfee has never been good, corp. networks are finally dumping it. Symantic used to be good, not anymore. Ipad security is a fee based rerouting of email to Apple servers for checking. I suppose Android will go this way also. Too bad Win8.
    Unless you know you have a 64 bit CPU, use the 32 bit version which will run on 64 bit multicore machines. Control panel will tell you which CPU you have. Most SW is still 32 bit, just science and graphic intensive need the 64 bit. They put a wrapper around the 32 bit code to run on 64 bit machines.
    Last edited by popper; 09-25-2012 at 03:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stork View Post
    Ignorant question here,
    How do I tell if I need to download the 32 bit or the 64 bit? Now running windows 7.

Not as computer savy since DOS went away,

Al
    If you have Windows Vista or Windows 7, there are two methods to determine whether you are running a 32-bit version or a 64-bit version. If one method does not work, try the other method.

Method 1: View the System window in Control Panel
    1. Click Start, type system in the Start Search box, and then click system in the Programs list.

2. The operating system is displayed as follows:
    For a 64-bit version operating system, 64-bit Operating System appears for the System type under System.

For a 32-bit version operating system, 32-bit Operating System appears for the System type under System.

Method 2: View the System Information window

1.Click Start, type system in the Start Search box, and then click System Information in the Programs list.

2.When System Summary is selected in the navigation pane, the operating system is displayed as follows:
    For a 64-bit version operating system, x64-based PC appears for the System type under Item.

For a 32-bit version operating system, x86-based PC appears for the System type under Item.
    Casting, Reloading & Shooting

I had bad experiences with McAfee years ago.

I have used Microsoft's free product - it let an encryption bug through on one of my home machines. I tried AVG years ago and did not care for it - recollection is updating was a pain.

I have used Symantec Endpoint Protection professionally for a decade or more and Norton on personal machines for several years now. I cant see that they slow down my machines or cause other issues. Symantec has stopped things that have gotten through other products. I do get a false positive from time to time on some apps that i use.

Sent from an unnamed device running an undisclosed OS via a third party application.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12