Lee PrecisionLoad DataWidenersTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: The 480 rocks

Boolit Master

The 480 rocks

I have an elk hunt starting one month from tomorrow so I've been shooting my Harton 480 Bisley at least every other day & I'll do that right up until the bell rings.
    Most have seen this gun before but I'll give a little discription again. Its a 5 shot gun, Alan opened the frame window, built an oversize 5 shot cylinder, installed a Douglas premium barrel, linebored the gun, tuned the action, added a Bowen rear sight, free spin pawl, custom Harton front sight, with a gold bar (real gold) custom barrel band, Belt Mountain base pin & also somewhat straightened the trigger.
    Some times the triggers on these bigger recoiling guns can slap you a bit if the trigger has too much curl, this little addition really helps. Gun also has a set of Holly stocks.
    Some have ask why go with the 480 when you can get a 475 & shoot both. My reply is, I've had a 475, wonderful FA gun. I wanted a custom 5 shot 480, if this gun won't get the job done I need something with tracs!
    I can run this gun way up there if I want to with this oversize cylinder, no need, it has shot completely through bull moose with my load, actually this load has done it twice on moose, one shot each.
    Lately I've been shooting 21 grs of 4227, Win. LP primer & a 385 gr cast HP slug. This load is hitting the steel plates so hard at 50 yds that many, many times it stands them back up, saves walking!
    I want to take an elk with this HP slug, haven't used them in many years but I will next month.
    I shoot standing with both forearms touching the fender of my truck. I've hit 23 of the last 24 plates at 50 yds with Callshot spotting.
    My alloy is 70/30, that is 70% WW's & 30% pure lead, I'm guessing somewhere around 1050 fps, I'll chrono next week, but, it doesn't matter, this load will handle anything out there with ease.
    This is my first 5 shots today. Yup, green Crocs!

Dick

Nice shooting, and a great looking gun.

Boolit Master
    Nice SA .480 you got there! I have the 9 1/2" Super Redhawk version. I shot my best 50yd group with mine today, MUCH to my suprise!
    Thats great shooting! Sounds like you have been practicing....
    The load I use is from Accurate molds....48-420S, 420gr LFNL boolit over 21.5gr H110 and a mag primer. Running in the neighbor hood of 1100fps if I remember correctly.

Good luck with your Elk!

Boolit Master
    Good luck going after your elk, a beautiful and elegant weapon to use!
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith

Boolit Grand Master
    nice gun Dick
    I was surprised as well with the 480's stomp
    I have a customized SRH and shoot a 385 gr MP 475/460 HP
    know what you mean bout smacken the steel
    very nice good luck
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

That elk is gonna have a nice big hole in him.
    Uber7mm

Bambi: The great American hunting story as told through the eyes of the antagonist.

Banned

back before early retirement caught me sleeping i wanted to have a 480 bisley built by dustin. Never got around to it and now its to late money wise for me to do it. I think its a real cool setup! Most of the critters ive killed with the 475 were shot with loads that could be done in a 480 anyway.

Boolit Master
    Creeker, thats a light, I have one on all my hats, it comes in handy everyday, getting home late from hunting chickens, looking in the bed of the truck, walking outside after dark to turn the water off, etc. They are handy, most all the bigger sporting goods stores have them now.

Dick

Boolit Master
    I would agree with Mr. Lloyd in that the elk and deer I have taken with the 475 Linebaugh both rifle and handgun were at 480 or reduced 475 loads. WFN hard cast does a great job of anchoring game.

In Remembrance

I really like my Tarus Raging Bull 480. Too may things have prevented me taking a deer or hog with it, but I'm resolved to do so this season. It will be overkill for deer under 200 lbs., but so what. I'm casting the Lee 400 gr. fp and seating it over 21 gr. of H-110 with great accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by sixshot View Post
    Creeker, thats a light, I have one on all my hats, it comes in handy everyday, getting home late from hunting chickens, looking in the bed of the truck, walking outside after dark to turn the water off, etc. They are handy, most all the bigger sporting goods stores have them now.

Dick
    I thought it might be but yer so high tech I was thinking death ray or some such. I have one of those fancy lights also for fishin' & guttin' deer.

Boolit Master

Can we get a closeup of the revolver?

Boolit Master
    Here it is with a close up.

Dick

Boolit Bub
    I had a Bowen Nimrod in .475. Sure wish I had never sold it.

Boolit Master
    Yea had a John Linebaugh conversion rebuilt after I shot about 4500 rounds through it then sold it and have regretted it ever since. Soon I will have another 475 most likely FA. johns quality and skill is outside my range these days. Of course I have the first ever Number 1 ruger chambered in 475 as I did it 10 years before Ruger and I also have a newer Ruger chambered number 1. Google

"Triple P Rifle" but both those rifles need a companion.

Yep, that is just purdy!! Very nice revolver!

Boolit Buddy
    wow what a beauty! Love the barrel band!

I traded a 475 FA with express sights and an octagon barrel a number of years back, what a mistake!

I think after shooting that monster I would rather just have a 480 like yours, it would be more than plenty for almost anything.

Good luck with the hunt I am sure with all that practice, the elk is a done deal!

Dan

Good luck and good hunting!
    Glen