Titan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: Combination buckshot loads?

Boolit Master

Combination buckshot loads?

Has anyone ever tried loading more than 1 type of buckshot in a single shell?
    (Ex: 0 & 00? in 2 3/4") I have both 0 and 00 Sharpshooter molds.

Just curious. I will be using my 12ga set up for buckshot and slugs for deer and hogs here in SC. Trying to maximize the effectiveness of buckshot at different ranges. Any comments appreciated.

BTW, I have a fully rifled 12ga 870 for sale in the For Sale / Trade section.

Thanks,

HV
    Life's biggest tragedy is we get old too soon, and wise too late.

Banned

IVe got a #3 and a 00 mold and loaded alot of rounds with 4 OO buck and then filled the rest of the case with #3. Ive also done combo loads of #3 buck and 6 shot and oo and 6 shot. My thoughts went to that a shell loaded with 4 OO and the rest #6 would make a good survival round. It would be a good close in defense load and also be able to take deer at close range and even small game. What i do is load the larger shot first and put a 20guage card over it and then the smaller shot. Dont know if im really gaining anything but its fun to play with

I developed a close-range HD round that I really like.

It's 2x7 #F buck under 2x3 #1. I load it over either Unique or HS-6.

I've blasted quite a few phone books with it, and I was amazed that even the lighter balls dig a good 6" in to the books and the #1 balls have at least 8-10. I think it would be a very punishing round. I like the idea--6 heavy balls for punch, and 14 smaller ones to fill in the pattern.

I would trust either shot size for HD work and I think the mixture of the two would be devestating at close range.
    Too much of a good thing is an awesome thing!

Hi Lloyd,
    I just re-read your post, and I'm curious about something. I load mine with the lighter shot first (the #F), then the heavier shot on top of it. I was thinking that the lighter shot would lose speed faster, and I didn't want to heavy shot to "rear end" the finer shot when it was traveling towards your target.

But I have no idea if that's a sound idea or not. I never really thought about doing it the other way much less making some and patterning it.

Is there a reason you do it the other way? Just curious--no idea which is "right" or "wrong"!
    Last edited by John in WI; 09-22-2012 at 11:48 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by John in WI View Post
    I was thinking that the lighter shot would lose speed faster, and I didn't want to heavy shot to "rear end" the finer shot when it was traveling towards your target.
    A smaller round ball will lose speed faster than a larger/heavier one, because they have the same drag coefficient, but the heavier one has higher sectional density. In other words, your reasoning is correct in terms of which shot will slow down faster.

However, the lighter shot will also be traveling in the extreme turbulence behind the heavier balls; I'd expect this "disturbed air" condition to cause the smaller shot to spread into a larger pattern than the heavier shot (not necessarily a bad thing at very close ranges). I still think you have it right, because at least this won't more or less randomly deflect the heavier shot from collision with the light shot, it just means you have a sort of "spreader" load behind your heavier shot.

Hmm--that's a cool thought. I never really paid attetion when I was patterning it (it's kind of tough to tell the holes apart). It would be neat if I could tell the difference in pattern between the two. Or even adjust it. You could separate the two with a card and buffer one or the other layers to keep one tight and let one open up.

Boolit Mold
    How about buffering the small shot having the bigger shot on top?

Boolit Master
    I've not done a Duplex load with buckshot but I have patterned quite a few factory Duplex 12 gauge shells in the past . Tried two different shot groups . the first has #2 and #4 shot while the other one had #4 amd #6 shot . They patterned nicely on a one dimensional target . But I don't think Remington sells them anymore . So either they weren't good sellers or folks didn't find them to pattern as well as I seem to remmember them doing for me .

I recently patterned 00 , #1 , #3 and #4 buck handloads in my two 10 gauge 2 7/8" guns and they both liked the #1 buck alot and the same could be said for the #3 buck . All my #3 buck came from old 10 gauge 3 1/2" paper shells I took apart . I have a good bit of 00 and #1 so i may have to see about getting some #3 . I have a 20 gauge W&C Scott that i think would like some nice handloaded #3 buck loads .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

I have loaded 4 00 & 2 #4 buck on top of 12 #4 buck with good results in Gun Club hulls with Downrange wads and no buffer. I too use a Sharpshooter mold - a combo mold of #4 and 00 buck. Have used the same hull/wad with 9 00 buck, also with good results.

Sharktown

I have loaded a 6x"0" on the bottom and 6x"00" on the top and it works fine.

Used 27 grains of SR4756 and WW red wad. Fit and crimp was good in an AA hull.