Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWidenersLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Coleman Kerosene lantern vs gas lantern

Really? Wow. I know the Japanese will pay through the nose for them but I didn't realize they were also in demand in Europe. What would it cost to ship one there?
    R J Talley
    Teacher/James Madison Fellow

Banned
    Coleman is an US thing like the rest is an European thing.
    Same with guns. a lot of RB's to have cheap but a trapdoor is hens teeth.

Banned
    @ omgb:
    If you have something nice i'm interested indeed!

I'll post some photos later this week. I just finished servicing three 220e models
    R J Talley

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by omgb View Post
    Really? Wow. I know the Japanese will pay through the nose for them but I didn't realize they were also in demand in Europe. What would it cost to ship one there?
    When I was selling Coleman items on Ebay. The Euro's for some reason seemed to prefer the larger 2-burner model 275 over the others. The Japanese, although they love all Coleman items seem to prefer the smaller single burner 200's.

Campsites in Japan from what I've been told by my Japanese buyers, having never been there. During daylight hours the campsites are like a combination flea market and show and tell. They place their Coleman items out in front of their tents or campers. Campers on foot will walk down the line of tents to see other's camping items, fishing equipment and other USA made camping tools but it is Coleman lanterns they really prefer most and want to see. Often they may carry a lantern or stove along they have for sale, on the trading block or just to show it off.

I couldn't begin to guess what it now costs to send a parcel over seas. It has been several years since I actively sold Coleman items on Ebay. There have been numerous increases in postage and the Post Office discontinued surface shipping. The surface/sea shipping was slow, 15-30 days to Tokyo or Berlin wasn't unusual but the cost was considerably lower than airmail.

Quote Originally Posted by historicfirearms View Post
    For a cheap kerosene substitute you can go to your local midsized airport and ask for some Jet-A negative Prist. Jet fuel is basically kerosene. I am a pilot and get a free batch of it once in a while. I have burned it in my kerosene heaters and it works great. It may have slightly more odor than kerosene but nothing too offensive. Jet fuel at Michigan airports is running about $5.75 per gallon. If you can, get it without Prist which is an icing inhibitor. You don't need it.
    I believe they add a highly carcinogenic product (Benzine) to inhibit mold growth in avaiation fuel.

Boolit Master
    In 1960 I was twenty, married, broke between paydays, with one son (just born). I managed to get my hands on a special use permit to build a summer camp (cabin/shack), on lake shore property, from the BC forest service. I invested in a 2 burner Coleman lantern (cost a fortune)! That thing NEVER worked right, it would light fine but when it warmed up it started to pulse like a slow strobe light! At that point I discovered second hand, single mantel, OLD, railway lanterns. They were made to burn either white gas or Kerosene, depending on which generator you had. These babies could be had at yard sales for a buck or two and I soon learned to strip them down and figure out what they needed to fix them. I also found there were Coleman “lamps”, which had two mantles and burned Kerosene. There were also some with white gas generators too. The first one of the lamps I rebuilt pumped up just fine, checked out for no leaks and sat under pressure overnight without loss. SO---I filled it up with white gas, set it on the kitchen table and opened the valve (just like my 2 mantle lantern). WOW---5ft flame above the top of the lamp with pretty blue flames running all down the sides of the lamp and onto the table top. I managed to shut off the valve, grab the lamp by the base and get it outside onto the sidewalk before it burned the house down! About that time a light (figuratively) came on and I realized what that little cup on the generator was for! NOW---the point I set out to make here is that I have found you can burn white gas in those Kerosene lamps BUT you just have to be REAL careful!!!! The trick is to open the valve just enough to start the gas flowing while holding a lit match under the mantels and then shut it off. You do this a couple of times and the generator heats up (just like you had used alcohol in that little cup) and once the generator is hot the lamp can be opened fully and it will burn just fine. I have since been able to purchase the original “special use permit” land and it now has a real nice cabin on it. I still use those old lamps sometimes but mostly I now use propane lights that are on “trees” hooked to 20lb tanks. I have quite a collection of the old lamps and lanterns. The 2 mantle lamps are stamped “Sunshine of the night” and they each have the year of manufacture stamped under the logo.
    R.D.M.

Boolit Master
    My wife and I have used a kerosene heater now for over 35 years. Our house is kinda drafty so we use no ventilation and have never succumbed to carbon monoxide poisoning. I've only replaced the wick once during that time. However, I did manage to break the glass on the burner and went to flea bay for a replacement. Could not find the exact replacement so I chose the nearest one that would fit. After a little glass cutting I got it to fit and we're using it at the present time. We use the kerosene heater to supplement our fire place when it gets really cold. Now I've got to get out in the woods with my Husqvarna chain saw and get us some more wood. We buy kerosene at the local Co-Op for $3.99/gal. This kerosene is coloured red for some reason. I've never used the coloured kero before. I also use it to melt my rifle boolit lube for ranch dipping.

I think it was Mooseman that first mentioned the Alladin lamp. Man, I grew up with one of those lanterns. Whenever the power would go out, my dad would always break out the Alladin lamp and we'd use it until the power came back on. I remember how bright that mantle would glow. I wish I had that old lantern in my possession but I really don't know what became of it.

I have 2 Coleman gas lanterns, a double mantle and a single mantle. I'd always known about using Amoco white gas in them. It's certainly cheaper than the $10.00/gal. Coleman fuel. I do like the single mantle one the best--the little red one. While going to a Civil War re-enactment I got into an accident, had the back of our old Explorer filled to the brim with all our camping gear, and had that Coleman up against a back window. After the accident I found the glass broken on globe and we had no light for our camping. I've since replaced the globe and the little red Coleman still functions to this day. Had to use it not too long ago when the power went out.

I do all of my casting on an old Coleman camp stove and have never had an ounce of problems with it. I know I could use it in a pinch for cooking if the power is ever out for any length of time. I did not know that BP sold white gas. I'm gonna have to check that out 'cause Coleman fuel is just to danged expensive.

I've got two 20 lb. propane tanks I used to use on my grill before it went beaucoup dead. Now I must search out a propane lantern to use as a supplement to the Coleman gas lantern. I've seen others use a 20 lb. propane tank with a christmas tree set up for a heater and lantern. That light would burn for an entire weekend at our campsite and the guy used the heater for his tent. Think I might go this route. BC
    Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father but by me."

Sorry for a bump,just my two cents...
    More than 90 percent of the kerosene smell occurs when the lantern is first extinguished, or first lit, my opinion. You can carry the lantern outside to do these functions, that will help with the fumes. There is also a highly refined version of kerosene sold under the name Clear-Lite, and others, there is no odor from it. Trimming the wick will also help with smoke and fumes. Keep in mind that the kerosene lantern does not put out a lot of light, 15 candle power might be a good estimate for the average lantern. The light output is more than adequate for navigating a room without tripping, and some reading up close. Kerosene lanterns do use fuel sparingly, a real plus if you don't know where the next gallon will come from. Dietz has a version that has a huge fuel tank, burns 72 hours on a filling, so shop around and pick the one that best meets your needs. Some Dietz versions put out almost twice the light output, and I have even seen one that has an attachable cooking pot to make a cup of tea or whatever. Kerosene lanterns are cheap, so I would keep one around just in case, along with some extra wick. The Dietz brand lantern has a reputation that it can be knocked over and not catch on fire, you might want to tip it over unlit or devise some way to know yours is safe. Again, I would recommend that you have one just in case, it wont cost much to have that option covered.

Coleman fuel lanterns are also very handy, and not very expensive, I would own one if at all possible. I would suggest you buy a dual fuel version, because you are more likely to find regular gas after a **** situation than Coleman fuel. If you get a chance to pick up an older one at a garage sale do it. On the negative side they are rather fuelish, some burn up to a quart of fuel for an all night burn. Keep in mind that a dual mantel lantern uses almost twice the fuel, that is probably obvious. Coleman fuel is actually Naphtha with rust inhibitors according to Coleman Naphtha has an octane rating of about 55, so I would not pour it in the gas tank of a modern car. The older Coleman lanterns will run on regular gasoline in a pinch, but the gas generator will need to be replaced more frequently. While on the topic of generators, keep a spare generator, mantels on hand. Coleman also has two models of Kerosene pressure lanterns, not as common, and they require burning alcohol or other fuel as a pre-heater to start the lantern. If you have access to lots of kerosene then the Coleman pressure version may be the best choice since it puts out as much light as the Coleman fuel lanterns. I have friends that claim that they have tested their kerosene lamps, lanterns and Aladdin lamps on diesel as well. Note, with toady's diesel prices that advice may not help much. If you have access to kerosene sold at the pump with red dye, no road tax, you can save money. The dye does not affect anything, just cheaper

Other options might include a Britelyt (Petromax) lantern that will burn almost anything, kerosene, diesel, gasoline, Coleman fuel, bio-diesel, ethanol, etc, again they come in several versions/sizes (light output) up to something similar to a 400 watt bulb output, yikes. Kerosene mantel lamps are another bright almost elegant light source, the best known name brand there is Aladdin. The mantels are expensive, and you would need to have some spares. I keep a variety of light sources and recommend you should have the flexibility to use whatever fuel you might find.

To the post above about LED lanterns, there are several very good LED lanterns available, with choices improving with time. My latest favorite is the Guide Gear LED lantern, pretty bright and runs 400 hours on a set of (4) batteries. I use rechargeable D-cells that I can charge off solar.
    Last edited by Lord999; 01-23-2019 at 11:25 AM.

Some of the standard Coleman lanterns can be converted to kerosene by changing the generator to a kero unit and adding a preheat cup. I used to know the model numbers but gave all the lanterns to the local scouts and gave away the pressure lights after running into three fires (easily put out) in one day, while working on my collection of gas pressure lights. I decided I didn't have the temperament to continue that hobby.

Boolit Mold
    I have rebuilt a lot of 220 dual mantel lanterns very simple and reliable. They will run forever on a tank of Coleman fuel. I just ran a gallon of fuel last year from the 80's without a problem. My best running Coleman lantern is a 327 with a mica globe. It ran after cleaning the tank and the generator. Oldcolemanparts.com has a lot of good information and Forum on repairing Coleman lanterns plus parts.

I went to that Frenchmark site. It's all about decorative lamps, not field ready lamps. I was a Coleman repair guy back in the 70s. I read their books, studied the use and maintenance. If it is a Coleman and burns fuel, I have fixed or serviced it. I have converted a number of lanterns to K1 kerosene just for fun. They burn much brighter than gas but, they will roach a good finish in no time. The enamel just pops off. I have several dual fuel Northstars. Those are my gotos. The 220 series lanterns are bullet proof but the NS lamps are brighter.
    R J Talley

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FlorianR View Post
    I would check out https://frenchmarketlanterns.com/. They have a wide selection of gas lanterns that are far superior to anything Coleman produces
    Did you even look at the site you linked to ? Do you even know what a Coleman lantern is ?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shampine View Post
    Did you even look at the site you linked to ? Do you even know what a Coleman lantern is ?
    I think those would look nice hanging on the front of a tent

Banned
    Some of them may , would be sweet hanging from a wrought iron shepherd's hook. I will stick with my Colemans , they have soul.

Boolit Buddy
    Always had Tilley lanterns in the UK. They ran on paraffin (kerosene). Well built, and seemed much brighter than the Colemans. Have several Colemans now. They get the job done reliably now that I stopped running them on gasoline and use camp or coleman fuel.

Banned
    WOW, this is an old thread that keeps kicking.

I have great respect for pressurized kerosene lamps and stoves. I prefer kerosene over gasoline, but I do own and use both types. However my gasoline powered stoves are restricted to lead melting duties and never see food.
    Gasoline (petrol) equipment seems to be a bit more common in the U.S.
    Kerosene seems to to be the preferred fuel for portable lamps & stoves in the rest of the world. I'm not sure how that came about.

The learning curve for propane stoves and lanterns is much shorter than pressurized liquid fuel lanterns and stoves (although there's more stored energy per pound in kerosene than propane). Couple that with LED technology and the lanterns that burn any type of fuel are probably headed for nostalgic status.

Pressurized kerosene lanterns do have some soul. They provide a lot of light and some heat. They are easy to repair and rather reliable when you understand them.

From a practical viewpoint - A LED lantern is clearly the way to go. Lots of run time, Lots of light, No flame or fumes, No skill required to operate. But there's just something awesome about an old Optimus, Petromax or Coleman running on kerosene.

Boolit Master
    Yup the LED lanterns don't have the character of the old Coleman's .

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    Yup the LED lanterns don't have the character of the old Coleman's .
    Yea,, but, LED costs a tiny fraction of any liquid fuel light,,
    and even more important is that LED is WAY safer,,
    With LED,, there is no:
    heat
    fumes
    flames
    CO

My neighbor has been buying EVERY Coleman stove, white gas light, etc,, that he has found for the last 20 years.
    I am sure he planned on the price going up,,,

Now, he has an 8X10 shed full of scrap that will go to the landfill when he passes,,,

Boolit Buddy
    For 30 years, we have kept oil lanterns for use during power outages.

Now we have a 500 watt $35 inverter that connects to a car battery.
    that inverter operates all the LED house lamps that we could want,, (@ 9 watts each)

More importantly, the inverter powers the internet box and wireless router,, and two laptops.
    And it will charge our phones.
    Basically, it will power any small device that operates with a transformer.

The inverter has a fan that runs if more than about 200 watts is used.
    The fan has only run for a few minutes,, during more than 100 hours of inverter use.

So, beyond light,, the inverter keeps us out of the 19th century,, for only $35,,,,

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast