MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Load DataWidenersTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Coleman Kerosene lantern vs gas lantern

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    I mean if you really want to talk efficiency here then it is pretty hard to beat the LED Lanterns out there now,,, they work great, they put out alot of light, they are easy on batteries, the bulbs never burn out. Randy
    Turning on a switch beats pumping, flare-ups and you don't have to ventilate in the ice cold outside air.

There is something about older Coleman lanterns younger people don't understand. Like a warm camp fire in cold weather. The steady pssss sound with an occasional quiet little pop pop. I find relaxing.

You got that right. LED lanterns are much more harsh, the light they produce is IMHO unpleasant.
    Give me the nice glow and hiss of a pressure lantern any day. It's one of the things around a campsite that takes you back to simpler times.

Boolit Grand Master

I have a Duel Fuel that's been bulletproof. I've run gas through it a few times just because. But it's been fed a steady diet of Coleman fuel with no issues. I just finished a container that was around 15 years old. It worked just fine. This lantern has gotten used hard and the flint lighter I have in it just wore out. I always keep plenty of mantles and spare globes on hand. Now I need to stock a few more flint lighters as well.

Brought to you by TapaTalk.

Boolit Master

well I had different experience with K1 it is like diesel it will get weak over time in a metal can. maybe plastic works but K1 will rust the inside a metal can
    as said about the LED lights the new ones will last 3 years on 6 batteries and put out the more light .
    batteries are much safer

In Remembrance
    Chicken Thief, I have a stove to show you. I wonder if you have one, or if you have even seen one.
    I'll dig it out and take a picture tomorrow.

It's been put away for so long, I don't even remember exactly what it looks like.

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master

Coleman has adapters to run their LPG appliances off of bulk bottles. While the 20LB cylinder is heavy and bulky, they make smaller tanks that are refillable. I have one that is about 7lb., or a little heavier than a gallon of gasoline. I have used the little bottle for a week at a time, leaving the lantern on every night and using it to cook with too.It is very economical like this,the last time I had containers filled, it was 3.76 a gallon. No pumping, easy to light.
    Cast Boolits, Where lead balloons go over....

Well, this stimulated some talk! The light from a kerosene pressure lamp is the brightest of the bunch with dual mantle gas following close behind. LPG is third in brightness. This has been carefully measured and documented by Coleman and is available in their docs section of their web site. It's all about energy and K1 has more energy for given volume than either of the other two. that being said, LPG is danged convenient. It's just not "sexy" if you know what I mean. Coleman gas fumes are like paper shotshells loaded with Red Dot....the smell brings back lots of memories.
    R J Talley
    Teacher/James Madison Fellow

MC, I'd be interested in seeing that stove too.
    R J Talley

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by omgb View Post
    Coleman gas fumes are like paper shotshells loaded with Red Dot....the smell brings back lots of memories.
    To me my 1950's pump style Coleman fuel lanterns are like shooting a 1911 or operating a gently seasoned, oiled and clean pre-64 Winchester lever action. Today's lanterns are more rust resistant, safer to use and likely produce brighter lighting with less maintenance.

The modern lightweight, double stacked mag handguns gun are years ahead of a 1911. For recreational shooting, my personal preference and likely many others my age. Are going with the oldie but goody be it a Coleman lantern, an older 1911 or admiring the beauty of a blued steel, single action wheel-gun.

Hey Chicken Thief - those brass stoves are exactly what I've got! Swedish, supposedly. Never seen another one over here, but they're obviously common in Denmark. Superb stove, although it takes a few minutes to get one going.

There's a gadget you can buy that refills the 14 oz. propane tanks from a 20 pounder. That makes the cost of using those a little less. For what it's worth. I have one, but I've never had reason to use it. I only use propane for my Bernzo torch, which doesn't come out very often anymore. (Well, not quite true, the kitchen stove is propane...)
    Cognitive Dissident

Banned
    @uscra112
    The small ones were common for camping until the 1950's when LPG fueled stoves came along.
    They are all collapsible and have transportation tins.

Small ones are ½ pint capacity and the bigger ones 1 pint of fuel.

Producers vere:
    England
    Sweden
    Noeway
    Portugal
    France
    Germany

Here are 4 military small stoves.
    The three from left are US GI ones from WWII the right one is a kerosene butner from UK WWII.
    The respective tins on the upper shelf are for transportation.

In Remembrance
    Well, Chicken Thief, it turns out that I don't need to take a picture of mine.
    After digging it out, it's the same as the one second from the left in your shot of four.

Mine is still in it's original box (no can) which indicates it is a Model-1950, and it was made in August of 1966.

Sorry if I got you all worked over nothing ...

I don't suppose you would have access to the Army manual (TM10-7310-202-12) for that little jewel, do you?
    Mine has a wrench (which invites a G.I. to disassemble stuff) and another jet (generator?) which I would like to read up on.

CM
    Last edited by montana_charlie; 09-22-2012 at 03:05 PM.
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by omgb View Post
    LPG costs a lot more than either gas or kero and doesn't produce the same amount of light. To run four hours on LPG woud take two $4 bottles. That's not even $1 worth of kerosene. Again, it's all about trade offs and what you really want/need out of a lamp.
    Th only way to run an LP lantern with any cost in mind is from a tree with a 20 lb cylinder. Doing that though prevents it from being moved but works fine in a camp. I much prefer a Coleman fuel type lantern.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

I had a propane lantern when I was about 14. It worked great until I ran out of short fat tanks & used a regular (tall skinny) propane torch tank instead. Then it got knocked over & broke. Since then, I've been using an old used Coleman Fuel lantern. It still works fine anytime that I need it. The newer ones that are rated to use unleaded gas seem to be the cheapest to run & most versatile and are probably what I would buy if I was looking for a new one.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I got a Petromax a few years back. After using it with various fuels, I was seeing people strongly recommending kerosene or lamp oil only in them. Supposedly, they are made to burn anything. This spring I had Coleman fuel in mine. I left the tent for a few minutes, turned around, and I knew I had some big trouble inside. I managed to get it outside without too much damage to myself and things inside the tent. When I got it home, I found a compression fitting had gave out, and would let fuel spray out. It's been sitting ever since, as I haven't decided on whether to fix it, or get rid of it.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

I'll pay for the shipping if you send it to me. I could use it for parts.
    R J Talley

Boolit Master
    Natural gas or butane lamps are really a neat way to go and cheap to operate, and very bright for a house comparable to elect bulbs. http://www.trigasco.com/Indoor-Gas-Lights.html http://www.kansaswindpower.net/gas_lights.htm

For camping, I really like propane you can get this http://www.harborfreight.com/propane...kit-45989.html and refill the little guys. Or you can just run the line from a large cylinder to your stove and lantern(s). It takes a long time to run out. Much longer than I like to tent camp.

I only have one white gas lantern left...hopefully I never have to use it again.

Propane or natural gas refrigerators are really something, but expensive. My dads friend had three of them in his miners shack. http://www.bensdiscountsupply.com/ez...rigerator.aspx
    Last edited by Suo Gan; 09-23-2012 at 01:53 AM.
    Lotta people die in bed: Dangerous place to be!

Boolit Master
    I have been using an old Coleman three burner gas stove and a Primus single backpacker type stove in a sqare can for the last 25/30 years on a steady diet of unleaded pump gas with 0 problems. How long is it supposed to take before I plug one of these up. One thing I did find out is the propane stoves don't work very well at -20 and colder.

coleman white gas lanterns are great for tracking in the dark.... the light makes fresh blood literally fluoresce

on a side note. the fueled lanterns also give off heat.
    I saw a neat setup for icefishing at night, using a homemade sled with a place for a lantern under the seat, with a glass front... a place to sit, heat, and light? what more could one ask for?

oh.... how about a fish bite?
    I am ONLY responsible for what I Say!
    I am NOT responsible for what You THINK I Said!
    ====
    If numbers killed I'd hunt with a Calculator!

Boolit Master

I still use the old Red single mantle Coleman lanterns when we have power outages or have to clean up a roadkill moose or caribou. Plenty of light and uses less fuel than double mantles. Coleman fuel is naptha , we used to use Amoco white gasoline because it had no additives like the new unleaded fuels that can mess up the old lantern and stove generators and plug up the orifice, but there are no Amoco stations in Alaska. We also use Alladin kerosene lamps with the mantles and they are very bright in the cabin during a storm or power outage.
    I also have an Alcohol stove that gets hot fast and will warm a tent without Carbon monoxide danger. Lots of Alaskans carry a roll of toilet paper in a Metal coffee can and 3-4 bottles of Heet (fuel system alcohol) so that if they get stranded they can keep warm by soaking the toilet paper with Heet and lighting it for inside the vehicle Heat it can be a life saver. (We also carry cans of Spam too!) lol
    Kerosene here is 10.00 a gallon , Coleman fuel is 17.99...
    You Know You Might Be Facing your DOOM , if all you get is a click, Instead of a BOOM !

If God had wanted us to have Plastic gun stocks he would have planted plastic Trees !

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast