WidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Load DataTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Reloading Everything

Thread: Any experience with cheap laser sights ?

Boolit Master

Any experience with cheap laser sights ?

I recently got a Ruger 22/45 tactical that I would like to put a laser sight on the bottom rail for a range toy I have shot a lot of handguns with Crimson trace lasers but have not had one myself and would prefer not to spend that much for a range toy.
    So anyone have experience or a review with any of the cheap rail mount lasers ?
    Are there any in the $17 to $50 range work and will hold up to a 22lr ?

Boolit Bub
    All lasers are very close to the same as far as what they do. It is the mountings, and the quality of the materials used that makes one different from the other. The laser portion for all practical purposes is the same. I have used the low priced ones from eBay and have had great luck with them. I guess find one that you like and give it a try

Me and a buddy have been buying Tacticon off of Amazon. I just put one on a shotgun for night use around the house. I was told a veteran organization and lifetime warranty. So far so good.

Boolit Master

You'll find that laser pointers are almost worthless outdoors if there's any amount of sunshine.

Far better to put a red dot on top.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Fingers View Post
    You'll find that laser pointers are almost worthless outdoors if there's any amount of sunshine.

Far better to put a red dot on top.
    I just put a Burris fast fire iii on top if my eyes get much worse irons are going to not work for me so going to use the 22/45 for a test platform to see what works best for me . I hate the thought of using any thing that depends on batteries for carry . But I may reach the point that it is my only option.
    The appeal of the laser is I could still use the irons . Not sure what is worse depending on electric sights or having to put on my glasses to see the irons clear . Oh the fun of old eyes

I have used the cheap laser sights from eBay and they work fine for a while. None of them lasted long though.
    The only one s I had that lasted were Crimson Trace. They still work.
    As Burnt Fingers said, they aren't much good in daylight. I haven't tried a green one so can't say about that.
    The cheap holographic dot sights I have tried work well and last well.

Boolit Master
    learned my lesson the hard way when a Walmart was selling off a bunch of sights more than 1/2 off. they look like the good stuff but either don't work or hold up.
    the Burris fast fire is a different story mine has worked great for years and stays zeroed. as far as true lasers, never had a good one don't know much about them.
    only have one made for attaching to an ar. it works but would not trust it if life depended on it

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the responses . I found the Tacticons on Amazon they have a rechargeable green for 29.95.
    The reviews on Amazon are good and they have a guarantee gonna try one I have 25.00 gift certificate
    Thanks again.
    Last edited by onelight; 01-11-2021 at 10:00 PM.

Boolit Master
    Well I have had the rechargeable Tacticon to the range 3 times now and it is holding zero it was easy to adjust , but no clicks on the adjustments.
    I like the charger it attaches to the bottom of the laser magnetically to recharge .
    The sight appears to be all plastic with brass inserts for the screws that mount it to the rail . The off / on switches are kinda exposed so care has to be taken to make sure it does not get turned on accidentally . The green dot is bright and larger than the Crimson trace lasers that my buddies have . It works well on this 22lr but that is a mild test and I don't think it would be my choice if my life depended on it , but cast 10 has one on a shotgun so may stand some recoil . My opinion so far is it is worth the $29.00 for a range toy .
    Will have to give it more time and see how it holds up.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Red dots are the only way to go! Red laser "pointers" cannot be seen in daylight or dusk. Green is only marginally better. Only dead of night. And then you cannot see what you are aiming at.

I have red dots on all my critical guns I want sights on. And the batteries last longer!

bangerjim,

I know of a bear that would disagree with you about whether red lasers can be seen at dusk or not.
    AKA "Old Vic"
    "I am a great believer in powder-burning".
    --Theodore Roosevelt, Hunting Trips of a Ranchman

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    There is always an exception to everything.

Caveat emptor...........

banger

Sometimes there are lots of exceptions to one thing.
    AKA "Old Vic"
    "I am a great believer in powder-burning".
    --Theodore Roosevelt, Hunting Trips of a Ranchman