Load DataInline FabricationTitan ReloadingPBcastco
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2WidenersRepackbox
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Coleman Kerosene lantern vs gas lantern

Boolit Master
    I used to have several Coleman lanterns, including the kerosene version. That one is missing along with a few others.
    I never had very good luck with the kerosene version. My favorite Coleman, which I still have, is a 1966 US military version that is stamped on the bottom that it is intended for leaded gasoline. I have mostly used Coleman fuel in it, but occasionally regular unleaded gasoline. It has been my most reliable Coleman lantern.

For kerosene, it's hard to beat a Dietz Air Pilot. Or a Little Wizard for lower output with extended burn times.

Banned
    Comparing a wick type kerosene lamp to a pressurized mantle type kerosene lamp is sort of like comparing a one speed kids bike to a 10 speed road bike. They're both bicycles but not really in the same league.

The pressurized kerosene lanterns such as a Petromax, require a bit of skill (not a lot, but some) to run. The wick type lamps are very simple but they are basically kerosene powered candles with a glass globe.

Most of the problems with pressurized kerosene lanterns are a result of improper pre-heating or dirty fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
    I still have, is a 1966 US military version that is stamped on the bottom that it is intended for leaded gasoline. I have mostly used Coleman fuel in it, but occasionally regular unleaded gasoline. .
    That was always a dirty little secret.
    We had a version of Coleman lanterns. We'd send several with the Grunts when they went 'camping'.
    They were to set up and mark out a safe, helicopter landing zone for an emergency med-evac at night.

These versions had a real big steel top cover to illuminate the ground, but not mess with a pilot's night vision.
    They were painted olive drab, the tank was smaller, and the glass lens part was real short.

They were marked 'Lantern Gasoline' (one each).
    But the glow bags, generator, pump, etc. was exactly the same part number as the
    civilian version marked 'Coleman fuel only', which was unleaded gasoline with no additives package (Lead) in it.

When word started leaking out, Coleman changed their label to 'Duel Fuel'.
    And said you could run them on no-lead gasoline.
    But the guts of the lantern was still the same.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    That was always a dirty little secret.
    We had a version of Coleman lanterns. We'd send several with the Grunts when they went 'camping'.
    They were to set up and mark out a safe, helicopter landing zone for an emergency med-evac at night.

These versions had a real big steel top cover to illuminate the ground, but not mess with a pilot's night vision.
    They were painted olive drab, the tank was smaller, and the glass lens part was real short.

They were marked 'Lantern Gasoline' (one each).
    But the glow bags, generator, pump, etc. was exactly the same part number as the
    civilian version marked 'Coleman fuel only', which was unleaded gasoline with no additives package (Lead) in it.

When word started leaking out, Coleman changed their label to 'Duel Fuel'.
    And said you could run them on no-lead gasoline.
    But the guts of the lantern was still the same.
    I always wondered why they changed the label to dual fuel. It never appeared that the internals had changed.
    I found one of those lanterns you describe at a yard sale years ago. I doubt I still have it.

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    I always wondered why they changed the label to dual fuel.
    I wondered too.
    Right up until I got the generators to rebuild a old one and a new duel fuel. They were the same part number!

Then, after a little head scratching and chin rubbing:
    I wondered if being able to sell the cheapest grade of (not even road taxed) unleaded gasoline
    at the grocery store for $15-20 a gallon had something to do with the 'Coleman fuel only' thing.

But that concept is still alive and well.
    Check out the prices of pre-mixed 50:1 chain saw fuel at Home Depot or the local hardware store.
    And if they didn't sell it---- they wouldn't stock it either.

On their behalf:
    In the old days with leaded gas- if you didn't clean it out for storage, and occasionally use a little bump of
    carb. cleaner, the generator would clog up with the same crud you'd see in car carberators.

If used inside:
    The leaded gas did stink, make your eyes burn, and the fumes from it didn't help your health even a little bit.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 01-27-2021 at 06:36 PM.

EVERYONE!

Banned
    Yep, if it will run on Coleman Fuel it will run on unleaded gasoline.

That's right up there with "power steering fluid" which was really expensive Dextron II ATF for years.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I use my Dietz Air Pilot and Blizzard most of the time. With a good, properly trimmed wick and fresh kerosene (not lamp oil) you would be amazed at how bright they can actually be. I also have a new production Coleman Dual Fuel and single mantle kerosene when I really need to light things up.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

I just got my Coleman Army Stove out the other day and played with it, then I found a cloth bag that fit it perfectly in my stash of bags, so now it lives in there. It is a Coleman Model 530. I got it for $20 a few years ago at the LA Roadster Show Swap Meet. at the LA Fairgrounds.

It is complete with Fuel Funnel and the Case which is two pots that go together and the Wrench/Pot Handle. I think I got a deal? I have always used Coleman Fuel but now I know that Unleaded gas is teh same as White Gas without an additives, I can use that. I have a can of Coleman Fuel that is 30+ years old. White gas never goes bad as long as the cap is on tight.

I have 3 full size Lanterns, 1 Back Packer Size Lantern, a Two Burner Camp Stove, a Single Burner Stove, a Back Packer Stove and the GI Stove.

I consider these appliances among the coolest things I own and most of them I have owned for at least 30+ years. The stuff is made to last.

As a side note I actually dated the Heir to the Coleman Fortune back in the 80's (2 dates). She was Filthy Rich and lived in Hope Ranch near Santa Barbara. She was nice but found someone who was more on her level financially. Her Home was worth $16 mil in 1980! I lived in a 2 Bedroom Condo that I rented. She wasn't impressed.

Oh well, another one that got away.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    I wondered too.
    Right up until I got the generators to rebuild a old one and a new duel fuel. They were the same part number!

Then, after a little head scratching and chin rubbing:
    I wondered if being able to sell the cheapest grade of (not even road taxed) unleaded gasoline
    at the grocery store for $15-20 a gallon had something to do with the 'Coleman fuel only' thing.

But that concept is still alive and well.
    Check out the prices of pre-mixed 50:1 chain saw fuel at Home Depot or the local hardware store.
    And if they didn't sell it---- they wouldn't stock it either.

On their behalf:
    In the old days with leaded gas- if you didn't clean it out for storage, and occasionally use a little bump of
    carb. cleaner, the generator would clog up with the same crud you'd see in car carberators.

If used inside:
    The leaded gas did stink, make your eyes burn, and the fumes from it didn't help your health even a little bit.
    Yes. I tried some unleaded gas in one at one point. I found out very quickly that the gasoline really needed to be filtered for any small particles before it could be used without problems. I ended up rebuilding a generator/needle valve unit because of the dirt in the gasoline.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post

As a side note I actually dated the Heir to the Coleman Fortune back in the 80's (2 dates). She was Filthy Rich and lived in Hope Ranch near Santa Barbara. She was nice but found someone who was more on her level financially. Her Home was worth $16 mil in 1980! I lived in a 2 Bedroom Condo that I rented. She wasn't impressed.

Oh well, another one that got away.

Randy
    You likely dodged a bullet.

A good woman would not care about your wealth, or at that age...your family's wealth.
    Your character, work ethic, integrity, loyalty - would be the important factors to a GOOD woman.

Consider yourself lucky.

[QUOTE=tazman;5100234] I found out very quickly that the gasoline really needed to be filtered for any small particles before it could be used without problems.

I have only had one Coleman lantern that I got new.
    It was the first year or so after they'd switched to the gray paint job instead of green,
    and they'd started putting the duel fuel decal on them.

I don't know quite how effective it is, but it came with a clever funnel that had a filter sponge in it,
    and a little vent pipe thing that kept you from over filling the tank.

EVERYONE!

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    She was nice but found someone who was more on her level financially.
    No big loss.
    She probably couldn't clean fish, or help butcher a deer, and was high maintenance anyway.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 01-28-2021 at 12:16 AM.

EVERYONE!

Here's the straight poop on the Coleman fuel issue. Any Coleman gas lantern will run on pump gas for a good long while. However, in the end, they will clog the generators. There are just so many additives put in pump gas that it's mind boggling. These additives will cook down and "coke" in the generator. Old style gennies uses a long wire that was wrapped with a coil and surrounded by a paper tube. The multi fuel gennies use a much coarser coil and a slightly larger orifice but will eventually clog if run on RUG (regular unleaded gas). Back in the lead days, running a Coleman lantern with leaded gas in it was not only unhealthy for the lungs but it killed generators in as little as a few hours running.

Milspec lanterns, even if they say Coleman (most do not and were in fact made by several companies including SMP, the most common) do not use Coleman burners. They use a design licensed from the Aladdin Corp. These are very low pressure lanterns with huge orvices and can be a real bear to light if pumped more than 5-10 strokes. They are made to run on any gasoline in just about any field condition imaginable. They also roar when running. Not something you want to sit around and play cards next to.

Coleman fuel is Naptha. The same stuff they sell as Zippo fluid or Ronsinol. There is zero difference. It is highly refined but has a slightly different vapor pressure than RUG.
    R J Talley
    Teacher/James Madison Fellow

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by omgb View Post
    Here's the straight poop on the Coleman fuel issue. Any Coleman gas lantern will run on pump gas for a good long while. However, in the end, they will clog the generators. There are just so many additives put in pump gas that it's mind boggling. These additives will cook down and "coke" in the generator. Old style gennies uses a long wire that was wrapped with a coil and surrounded by a paper tube. The multi fuel gennies use a much coarser coil and a slightly larger orifice but will eventually clog if run on RUG (regular unleaded gas). Back in the lead days, running a Coleman lantern with leaded gas in it was not only unhealthy for the lungs but it killed generators in as little as a few hours running.

Milspec lanterns, even if they say Coleman (most do not and were in fact made by several companies including SMP, the most common) do not use Coleman burners. They use a design licensed from the Aladdin Corp. These are very low pressure lanterns with huge orvices and can be a real bear to light if pumped more than 5-10 strokes. They are made to run on any gasoline in just about any field condition imaginable. They also roar when running. Not something you want to sit around and play cards next to.

Coleman fuel is Naptha. The same stuff they sell as Zippo fluid or Ronsinol. There is zero difference. It is highly refined but has a slightly different vapor pressure than RUG.
    Great info , thanks for clearing things up . I learned something new already, and the day is still young.

Banned
    While Coleman Fuel (Naphtha) is certainly not the same substance as unleaded gasoline, just about any stove/lantern that runs on Coleman fuel will also run on unleaded gasoline.
    Running the device on gasoline may result in shorter life for the gas generator but the question is, "how much shorter"?
    Considering the obscenely high cost of Coleman fuel (White gas), you can buy a LOT of gas generators for the difference in cost between unleaded gasoline and Coleman fuel.
    The real advantages of white gas (Naphtha) is it burns cleaner and stores better. If you're not super good with your storage methods, Coleman fuel is a bit more forgiving.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    While Coleman Fuel (Naphtha) is certainly not the same substance as unleaded gasoline, just about any stove/lantern that runs on Coleman fuel will also run on unleaded gasoline.
    Running the device on gasoline may result in shorter life for the gas generator but the question is, "how much shorter"?
    Considering the obscenely high cost of Coleman fuel (White gas), you can buy a LOT of gas generators for the difference in cost between unleaded gasoline and Coleman fuel.
    The real advantages of white gas (Naphtha) is it burns cleaner and stores better. If you're not super good with your storage methods, Coleman fuel is a bit more forgiving.
    I use a coleman northster dual fuel the most. I was running it on regular gas, and after about 6 or 8 refills the generator clogged up. I tried the good old berrymans carb dip and soaked it for a few days, but it still did not come clean. A year ago I could not find generators for this model so replaced it with a 639-370c gen. I have yet to light it. It is cheaper to use coleman fuel or camp fuel than replace the generators. Production of the Northstar stopped a while ago, but coleman says it has not been discontinued.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by SweetMk View Post
    Yea,, but, LED costs a tiny fraction of any liquid fuel light,,
    and even more important is that LED is WAY safer,,
    With LED,, there is no:
    heat
    fumes
    flames
    CO

My neighbor has been buying EVERY Coleman stove, white gas light, etc,, that he has found for the last 20 years.
    I am sure he planned on the price going up,,,

Now, he has an 8X10 shed full of scrap that will go to the landfill when he passes,,,
    The thing I have against the LED lamps is them not giving of heat!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird View Post
    I use a coleman northster dual fuel the most. I was running it on regular gas, and after about 6 or 8 refills the generator clogged up. I tried the good old berrymans carb dip and soaked it for a few days, but it still did not come clean. A year ago I could not find generators for this model so replaced it with a 639-370c gen. I have yet to light it. It is cheaper to use coleman fuel or camp fuel than replace the generators. Production of the Northstar stopped a while ago, but coleman says it has not been discontinued.
    I can't remember that last time I had to replace a gas generator in a Coleman stove that I was running unleaded gasoline in.
    Will unleaded gas eventually plug up a generator? - Probably
    Will it plug up the generator so quickly that it's uneconomical to use unleaded gasoline? - Absolutely not.

The cost of the White gas (Coleman Fuel) is so high that even if you have to occasionally replace the gas generator, you're still ahead of the game.
    A lot of the failures come from allowing gasoline/ethanol blends (pretty much all pump gas these days) to sit in the device during storage. The same way gasohol (90/10 gasoline -ethanol fuel) will varnish and plug up a carburetor, it will harm a pressurized fuel stove/lantern.

Even with the slightly more expensive non-ethanol gasoline, you're still way ahead of the cost of Coleman Fuel even IF you have to occasionally replace a gas generator.
    I disagree that it is cheaper to use Coleman Fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    You likely dodged a bullet.

A good woman would not care about your wealth, or at that age...your family's wealth.
    Your character, work ethic, integrity, loyalty - would be the important factors to a GOOD woman.

Consider yourself lucky.
    Yeah but if it didn't last, who do you think would have made out in the divorce? I could have retired at 30

She was also good looking and I was definitely punching above my weight class.

The one I ended up with was the first and only one that I never had to worry about screwing around on me.

That was in 1989 we're still here.

As far as the cost of Coleman Fuel? There are other brands of the same thing at Walmart for $5-6/gallon. I haven't used that much in a long time so it is no big deal.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I was that placeholder guy too many times to count before I got married. Some fond memories but sure dont ever want to repeat it!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345