Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
RepackboxInline FabricationWidenersLoad Data
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: need mold HP'd

Boolit Buddy

need mold HP'd

I'm hoping someone can HP a mold for me, it's a lee 338 220r.

Boolit Man
    Erik at http://www.hollowpointmold.com/ should be able to fix you right up. I've had him do few for me and his workmanship is excellent not to mention the fact he's a nice guy to do business with.
    Max

Whenever asked I used to tell folks that casting boolits wasn't rocket science... I have since been proven wrong.

Boolit Master
    Another excellent, and somewhat more economical choice is our very own Buckshot. He does very nice work, and he's easy to get along with.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Quote Originally Posted by Max Brand View Post
    Erik at http://www.hollowpointmold.com/ should be able to fix you right up. I've had him do few for me and his workmanship is excellent not to mention the fact he's a nice guy to do business with.
    +1. Erik rocks though I imagine Buckshot does also.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Grand Master
    I've used Buckshot and can highly recommend him !

However, I'm not certain that he would HP a Lee mold. You can contact him and find out ?

Ben

Boolit Grand Master

If you don't have a case trimer spend the $s on a Forster case trimmer, collet and the correct pilots for the cartridges you load. That way you'll also have a case trimmer. Also get the Forster 1/8" HP tool to HP the bullets after loading them. With a little practice it works very well. That way you can HP any of the cast bullets you use.

Larry Gibson

I contacted Buckshot about HPing a Lee mold for me, and the issue was that for a 2-cavity mold, there are steel pins mounted directly under the boolit cavity. So he will do a 1 cavity or a 6 cavity, but my understanding was that a 2 cavity was a LOT more work (knocking the pins our, redrilling them....)

He was very pleasent and straight forward to talk with, unfortunately my 2 cav. mold wouldn't work for his services.
    Too much of a good thing is an awesome thing!

Boolit Buddy
    Erik is already HPing Lee moulds check his website. Call him and tell him what you need, bet he can fix you up.

Boolit Master

Yup, Erik does the 2 cavity, nifty looking system he is using on them too.

Boolit Buddy
    So spend the money on a HP'ed Lee or Mountain Mold or the like? In the long run which is going to throw the better boollit?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hithard View Post
    So spend the money on a HP'ed Lee or Mountain Mold or the like? In the long run which is going to throw the better boollit?
    Well in the longest run a steel mold will hold up best. Mountain molds are higher quality than Lees. I personally wouldn't HP a Lee and Erick used to not do this but he is making Lee 2 banger conversions now and improving the problem areas when he HPs them. They are still just Lee molds though.

Make no mistake though, a Lee can throw very good bullets. The question is for how long and your technique has a lot to do with the answer to that.
    Rule 303

Boolit Master

Have you guy's seen the article this month in Handloader magazine on drilling out boolits to make HP's? I'm sure it's old hat for some of you all.
    "If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 500MAG View Post
    Have you guy's seen the article this month in Handloader magazine on drilling out boolits to make HP's? I'm sure it's old hat for some of you all.
    I think I saw that same article (or a very similar one) around 1978. The limitation of the technique hasn't changed since then, which is that it's difficult to get the drilled hollow point centered and consistent enough to give an accurate boolit.

i believe the bullet is too long.There needs to be enough room below the bullet nose to do Erik's inset bar.

George