Inline FabricationRepackboxWidenersLee Precision
Reloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lee Pro 1000 for single calibre?

Boolit Bub

Lee Pro 1000 for single calibre?

I'm considering a Pro 1000 because I already have dies and an Auto Disk. I have also been very happy with my Lee items for 20 years+ of reloading.

However, I don't see much positive feedback on the press when progressives are discussed. I only load 38 special, but in high volume.

What are your opinions of the press for this kind of use? I'd be most appreciative of your opinions.

Regards, Racingsnake

Moderator Emeritus

I had one for a few years that I used as a dedicated 45 Colt machine. After being frustrated for several years by its performance (leaving high primers, not feeding primers, going out of time, jamming & just plain not working right) I unbolted it from the bench and replaced it with a Dillon Square Deal B in 45 Colt.
    There are pages of tweeks and tune up tips that you can do to supposedly get these piles of bovine excrement working correctly. I'm under the conviction that I shouldn't have to repair, rebuild or tune up a brand new press to make it reliable.

I have had NO problems with my Dillon SDB.
    Give us this day our daily lead.

Sic Semper Tyrannis.

If you don't want 1984 you're going to need some 1776.
    WWGWD

Boolit Bub
    Preach it Trey, I had one for 6 months and all it did was convince me to buy a Dillon550b

I guess it was a good deal as I now own a Dillon lol.

so, we'll go with the 1000 is a good gateway drug

There not as bad as some say. They do require some tweaking to get them set up. Biggest problem I've had with mine is the primer feed. This seems to be the biggest problem with most of them. I'm a new reloader/caster and was givin one. It was set up for .357/.38 I bought all the parts to convert it to 45ACP. As a dedicated press its fine, but I will not convert it back to 357/38. I go slow and confirm all cases get powder and primers and can load 250-300 per hour. If you get one thru FS Reloading I think there around $155ish plus shipping with dies for the caliber of your choice (how can you beat that)!!

Check out You Tube: Cowboy T, San Fransisco Liberial with a Gun! He has some GREAT vids with good information about the Pro 1000. Including trouble shooting problems, how to avoid them and how to fix them if they happen.

Are there better reloaders YES, are they more expensive YES. I've done a lot of research and when I buy my next progressive machine it will probably be the Hornady Lock N Load. Dillons press's are also nice but they seem to cost more "Set Up". I'm not trying to rile anyone up just passing on what I've found in my research (I would love a 1050 ready to rock but that aint happenin in the near future!!).

Your gonna get a lot of opinions Blues better than Red, Reds better than Blue Pro 1000's are terrible, my Dad can beat up your Dad etc... Bottem line is you need to decide whats best for you and how much its worth to you!!
    45 ACP because shooting more than once is just silly!!

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Boolit Mold
    I have a 1000, but I end up using it as a semi-progressive to an extent. I'll size prime & flare the case. I save the dumping of powder and bullet seating for a later time. I just like to ensure the powder charge before adding the bullet.

Banned

Since the Pro-1000 comes new with a powder measure, die plate, and dies/shellplate of your choosing for one caliber, you won't be any ahead with what you have. I'd recommend the CLASSIC 4-hole turret press for a nice upgrade over batch loading, unless you really shoot a lot. The Lee Classic Turret is a fine press, on par with any of the other brands as far as quality goes, and second-to-none as far as turret presses go due to the outside support of the turret plate.

The Lee Pro-1000 requires some patience and mechanical ability to set up, and if you aren't willing to take the time to learn how it all works and how to tweak every adustment, it might not be the press for you. Not that any of the progressive brands will jump out of the box and start loading ammo for you without you reading and understanding the instructions, but the Lee is a little more finicky than some. If you DO buy one, don't forget the case collator and powder measure riser, I'm not sure if they come with the riser now but they used to not. The collator is extra and you WILL want one, they work really, really well.

Gear

Boolit Bub
    Guys thank you for the advice. I just realised I posted in the wrong section.

Perhaps the Classic Cast Turret is the best option for me because I'm partial to using stainless media for cleaning followed by hand priming.

The turret with re-sizing die (pin removed), powder drop, seat and crimp could work well?
    Last edited by Racingsnake; 09-21-2012 at 04:29 PM.

Banned

Yes, that would work very well having the four stations for a separate crimp in the revolver cartridges. With .44 Magnum, I run them all throught the Pro-1000 and roll-crimp by feel (NOT by linkage stop) in a single-stage press afterward.

Gear

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Most shooters will not hesitate to frag the Lee1000, but I have had a lot of the big ones Projector7, Dillon 550 (sold my Dillon to feed kids many moons ago and I got by on a Lee1000,one for each calibre for many years). I currently have an RCBS Progressive and a Hornady LnL AP. Even though I have these two, I still retain two Lee1000s and have one set up for large primers and one for small (I don't use the small one much). I use one for 44/40 and 45 Colt and replace the turret with a Lee factory Crimp die and run them through once again to crimp and end up wiith fine ammo this way. They are a finicky press sometimes and need to be kept clean to operate effectively. I think I will set up my Roockchucker again to use for this crimping job with the case kicker.

I am loading a lot of 25/20 and 32/20 and am thinking of getting a shellplate for them.

The Lee1000s are a very inexpensive press and it is a bit unfait to compare them to something costing twice as much or more.

I also have the Lee Classic Turret nice press, but the indexing thingo is a bit dinky.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

I get along fine with the 1000 might not be a Dillon but I didn't pay for a Dillon either.
    "Some times it's just better to smile an walk away."

"Think ya used enough dynamite there, Butch?"
    -Butch Cassidy & the Sun-dance Kid

Boolit Bub

I use mine for 45 APC and i love it i got it used and when i got it i took it apart and cleaned it. Put it back together and have not had any problems with it. after every 1000 rounds i take it apart and clean it no problems.

If anyone wants to get rid of theirs because its junk i will pay shipping to give it a good home

Not sure why all the "mechanical ability" inferences being made, if you can read directions and know what a phillips head screwdriver is and have a cheap set of wrenches you can have the press completely disassembled in about 10 minutes. Very simple design. Clean it, a little grease judiciously placed, keep an eye on the primers, (don't you do that with any press?) and they work just fine. If you can't do these simple things then by all means spend 500 bucks and buy a dillon. Got rid of mine because I thought that seperate crimping was a better idea. If they had been four holers (see above) they would likely still be on my bench.

P.S. the spent primer setup is not cool at all, but there are easy remedies for that.

The Lee Turret that gear brought up is an excellent press. The dies and the autodisk that you have will work on any press that takes standard size dies. That's almost all of them, the SDB being one that doesn't.

I missed my Lee Turret when I went to the 1000. After all the primer jams I got tired of messing with the 1000, it took way to much time to keep it running. I think I'm one of the few that doesn't like the Lee Auto Disk, YMMV.

Cowboy's video's are great if you decide to take the dive. However, I moved on to a Dillon SDB and have since replaced that with a 550b. Wow, I love using that press. Wish I skipped over all the others. The SDB was pretty awesome too.

I have some Dillon dies, and in some calibers have Lee dies, they all work.
    Last edited by 357shooter; 09-21-2012 at 03:56 PM.
    Rossi M92 Lever Action
    Taurus 669
    Kel-Tec P-3AT
    http://357shooter.blogspot.com/

Boolit Bub
    Some very useful info guys, thank you

Thonotosassa, Florida/ Pensacola, N. Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by kullas View Post
    If anyone wants to get rid of theirs because its junk i will pay shipping to give it a good home
    I agree. I use my pro1000 for 38spl and 9mm and yes, you do have to pay attention to the primer feed but basically, on my low budget, I am very happy with the Pro1000.
    "The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man -- and give some back."
    Al Swearengen, from "Deadwood"

I have had a Pro 1000 since they came out. For the money it is a hard press to beat. Yes you must keep it clean and adjusted. At the price they sell for I would say keep it set for one caliber and get a second for others you load for in high volume...

When it comes to reloading I'm color blind. I have Red, Blue, and 2 shades Green equipment and each is special in it's own way. Kind of like our kids.

Lee Classis Cast Turret a step up from a single stage. Not a big fan of the priming system.
    RCBS Rockchucker always a great first press to learn on.
    Redding T7- I call it the ultimate Turret, Solid and well made.
    Dillon 450, Old solid reliable, will upgrade it to a 550 sometime for the $100 they want for the new updated frame. You can find these cheap sometimes and pay for the upgrade to the newer 550 frame with removeable die blocks. Could be the cheapest way to get a Dillon...
    Ken TN

NRA Handgun Instructor and Endowment Member
    IHMSA, SASS, NRA Field Pistol

In Remembrance
    If you're only looking to load one caliber and want a progressive, I'd go with the Square Deal B.

Quote Originally Posted by Recluse View Post
    If you're only looking to load one caliber and want a progressive, I'd go with the Square Deal B.

I've got two. One for large primers and one for small primers. I am really happy with them.
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

I'll take a couple for shipping too!! I'd start loading 38/357 and 9MM!!! LOL!!
    45 ACP because shooting more than once is just silly!!

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Incidentally, the first Lee1000 that I bought, I picked up as part of a trade. I used it for awhile and as I had a Dillon 550 at the time, I didn't have much use for it. I gave it to a friend who was down on his luck, he gave it to someone else when he moved interstate, it ended upgettign passed on through several friends, all correctional officers and I got it back when one of my men, (a reservist) was shipping out to Afghanastan, along with a box of 1000 7.62F4 ammo. He is back,but is not shooting pistol anymore and told me to keep it.

It was 1991 when I forst got it and the presshas been in regular use until about 2 years ago.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast