Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationLoad DataWidenersReloading Everything
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pre-War Pacific C

Pre-War Pacific C

I just picked up a really nice Pre-War Pacific C for $15.00. It came with two rams, one for 38/357 and the other for 30-06/45 ACP etc. I have an RCBS ram that takes the shell holder heads if I want to install it.

It did not come with a handle. but for a fellow with a lathe that is no problem. It was interesting to discover that the handle did not screw into the toggle as did the later Pacifics, but rather is a slip fit. The handle may have been threaded with a thin nut on the back side of toggle, I really don't know.

I just happen to have a handle that fits, laying in my metal scrap pile. I need to chuck it in the lathe and pretty it up a bit. Some knurling on the back end will be nice as well.

This press has a smaller footprint and is quite a bit lighter than the Post-War Super C.

Nice peace of useable nostalga to have on my bench. This is the protype of the modern reloading press as we know it. I don't know why these things are not more in demand than they seem to be.

Cheers...Charles
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    PICS?
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Banned
    Charles, you are correct. Most people look upon them as a door stop when they are the beginning of the reloading press as we know it. The Pacific patent covered teh press, the 7/8-14 dies and the primer arm, all of which are the mainstays of todays reloading tools.

Ken

Boolit Grand Master
    My first press was a Pacific that I got for 5.00 at a yard sale. I spent as much for a new ram that would take replaceable shell holders as I did the press, but I loaded many, many thousands of 38 specials on that old press before I upgraded to a Lyman Spar-T Turret. I eventually gave it to a young fellow who was just starting out.
    Should've charged him $5.00 and got my money back, but I like the kid. (Heck, he's thirty now.)
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    Char-Gar,

If yours is the black crackle finish version with PACIFIC on one side and PATENT 1 933 940 on the other, it may be that the tang of the handle is a press or drive fit in the linkage block. At least, mine does not protrude out of the hole on the other side and there wouldn't be much room for a nut on the back as the block swings around. The handle is pretty tight in the block on mine; I always thought it was threaded in but have never taken it apart to see.

Congratulations on your find. Those original Pacific C presses are real sleepers.

Bent..it must be a drive fit. I am making mine a very tight fit, with a small lip that can be preened over in the back . You are right there is not much room back there for a nut.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Well, it is all done and the press is ready to mount on the bench. The linkage block the handle fits in has a two diameter hole. The front side is .500 for about 3/4 of the length of the hole, and the back is 15 thousands smaller at .485, so there is a little shelf in there.

I turned a 14" piece of steel to a nice slip fit and left a little bit sticking out the back. I put counterskink on the back and beat the snot out of the little nub with a 3 lb cross peen hammer. This moved metal into the countersink so the handle can't come out. I dressed down the nub on a grinder to give enough clearance in the press. It is as tight as Old Dick's hatband.

I took about 10 thousands off the whole length of the handle to true it up and put a nice bevel on the end.

The RCBS interchangable shell holder ram was installed, although I did have to chase the threads and install a new set screw.

So that is all there is to it. I will dedicate this old press to one caliber, but I have not figured out which yet. It will probably be 45 Colt.

Pacific C press

Char-Gar,

Your post jogged my memory. In my previous PM`s with Floodgate, I mentioned that I had acquired one of these. He was kind enough to send a photocopy of an American Rifleman that featured it, and wrote on the copy of it`s importance.

I just pulled it out again and that it does have the same patent number but is olive green in color. The handle is threaded in, but does not protrude visibly, and has a white bicycle handle marked "Flexgrip Model B pat.pend."

Apparently it is later version of the same...?

Regards,

Scott

Yes, the post war presses had handles that screwed in. I have never seen a Pacific
    Press in the color you discribe.

Banned
    The post war, pre Dietmeyer presses came in black, blue, OD, orange and yellow. Another model was red. There are variations in the base, some had bolt holes and others had slots for the mounting bolts.

Why so many colors is a mystery and no factory litrature from that time says anything about colors of model differences.
    Ken

I got my first Pacific Super C in 1959 and it was blue and had slots and not holes. The Super C I have now is black and has holes.

I excavated this thread so I could post a picture of the press that is the subject of this thread. I found my camera after two years of being lost.

I also bought on Ebay an article from the August 1930 American Rifleman magazine entitled "The Pacific Reloader Is A Modern Outfit", which is a review of the then new Pacific C press and the also then new 7/8 X 14 Pacific dies. It was very interesting to see how something that is so common now struck the reloading community of 1930. The press was praised for it's leverage, ease of operation, strength and "straight line" action. The dies were praised for their close tolerances. It was a glowing review and therefore easy to see why it's features have become standard for today's reloaders who don't remember there were day long ago when things were different.

Boolit Master
    Wow char, very very nice. What a find. How much does it weigh? Back then, Americans weren't afraid to use metal and from foundry's where our steel was thought to be the best.

Very, very nice

r1kk1

The Pacific standard C weights 14 lbs. About a pound lighter than the beefed up Super C which was introducted after WWII. For a time in the late 40's the Standard C and Super C were made concurrently. I don't know when in the 50's the Standard C went by-by.

As you can tell, I am greatly taken with old Pacific pesses. There is a great black 50's Super C on ebay now that is calling my name, But I have one just like it, so I am trying to resist the fever.

Boolit Master
    Me too since the cooling unit went out on the RV fridge. About 1k to fix otherwise I'd jump on it.

You have something to be proud about! Beautiful, truly made with craftsman ship that use to define our country but hard to find these days.

Take care

Wow

r1kk1

Boolit Grand Master
    How would I date my press????
    It is black. Is a pull up handle action. No date anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    How would I date my press????
    It is black. Is a pull up handle action. No date anywhere.
    Does it have the lug on the top front of the press where a automatic primer feed was attatched? If it does not have that, it was made from 1930 to the start of WWII. If it has the lug, it was made after the war from about 1946 to 1959 or 60.

Pacific was bought out about 59 or 60 and the new production presses were painted blue. Black was no longer used.

That is about as close as you can get them. Take a look at the pic of my press posted above. It lacks the automatic primers lug on top and that makes it Pre-War.

Boolit Master
    If you like Char-Gar's C press or Pacific presses in general take a look at this site !

http://pacificreloaders.awardspace.com/History.htm

Jerry
    S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman Accumulator

Boolit Grand Master

Smile Picture of my press

I have two of these. One for 45acp, other for 38spc.
    Both looks to never have been used.
    Got them with a bunch of other stuff. All unused.
    Guy was planning to reload, and just never got around to it.

Banned
    Not a real great picture but you can see the SF CAL marking. This was made between 1930 and 1932 when the patent was issued. Presses made after 1932 have the patent number replacing the SF CAL.
    Ken

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast