RotoMetals2Load DataWidenersInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unusual question: is there a bbl that can be modified as per the drawing attached?

Unusual question: is there a bbl that can be modified as per the drawing attached?

Attached is the blueprint of the blank and barrel for TT-33 pistol (all measurements in metric).
    What I am looking for is a commercially available barrel in 9mm Luger that this one can be made of.
    I have one TT made in China in 9mm that shoots pretty well and the idea is to have a few more barrels for my other TT guns.
    Of course the whole guns can be had for about $150, so the cost of buying and altering a barrel should be under $100 to justify the project.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/...&filter=730840
    sold out currently but call and see if they plan to restock...

don't know about this one but might be worth checking on
    http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=496916

I'd keep an eye on ebay and other auction sites - it will be cheaper I think.

Yeah, I know that Numrich is out of stock on those.

Boolit Master
    I think your best bet is to either find a junk tt barrel and someone who will "stub it out", or find a 9mm 1911 barrel and weld and grind it to proper shape.
    Either way, unless you got a friend with a serious machine shop, your not going to do it for $100

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by akajun View Post
    I think your best bet is to either find a junk tt barrel and someone who will "stub it out", or find a 9mm 1911 barrel and weld and grind it to proper shape.
    Either way, unless you got a friend with a serious machine shop, your not going to do it for $100
    ......A friend that has a serious machineshop just setting idle, and about 10 hours of spare time that he will trade for a beer.
    Honestly, I dont see it happening, but I dont know how many friends you donated a kidney to
    But, if you did, here is a barrel that should work for the project for $50
    http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/barrelb...e-barrel-blank
    Good luck!
    Let me know what you do with the extra length of barrel. I might be interested in buying it from you.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Sorry, goodsteel, I have a growing feeling that you are spamming these forums with unhelpful remarks with a sole purpose of advertising your new gunsmithing business. You would get somewhere if you stopped being such a jerk.

Obvious things occur to me too and I have a capacity to make this barrel out of a blank. I even know where to get a blank with large enough o/s diameter. Now, chiao!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Sorry, goodsteel, I have a growing feeling that you are spamming these forums with unhelpful remarks with a sole purpose of advertising your new gunsmithing business. You would get somewhere if you stopped being such a jerk.Obvious things occur to me too and I have a capacity to make this barrel out of a blank. I even know where to get a blank with large enough o/s diameter. Now, chiao!
    I'm not a moderator, but I WILL remind you that name calling is not acceptable behavior here. Knock it off.

Boolit Grand Master

Whoa! Tokarev, your taking me wrong! I meant no offence of any kind.
    I was trying to say (in a colorful way) that it's going to take a lot of work, show you where the cheapest barrel I know of is to be found, and since you are not going to need the full length for the job you are considering, I was offering to help you recoup some of the cost by buying it from you.
    What's wrong with that?
    Spamming the forum huh? I don't know what that is, but I'm only trying to help folks get where they are going without blowing themselves up or getting hurt.
    Promoting my business? Well, this is the USA, and I always thought that was a good thing. I mean dad gum, if you started a business making leather products, and your favorite forum in the world had a section dedicated to that subject, what would you do?
    I sincerely apologize for offending you in this thread, but if you don't like my comments on the forum, feel free to PM me and straiten me out in private. Several others have, I can assure you, and I try to listen.
    Last edited by MBTcustom; 09-20-2012 at 08:25 PM.

Stupid question, coudl you machine it out of a 4140 and just put a liner in it? I think there are one or two people here that can cut rifling, maybe they can rifle an oversize blank for you?

The blank would have to have even walls to be rifled right....you coudl also read Vickery's Advanced gunsmithing and a couple of the other older gunsmith books to see how to use your existing barrel to thread another barrel.

Boolit Master

Sorry, goodsteel, I have a growing feeling that you are spamming these forums with unhelpful remarks with a sole purpose of advertising your new gunsmithing business.
    Sorry, Tokarev, but I know just about enough about machining to agree with Goodsteel, at least on this one -- you'd be ahead to mill that barrel out of a Green Mountain blank (which, BTW, for $50 could be cut to give you three or four tries, and he offered to consider buying the leftover if/when you finish) over trying to modify an existing barrel from another pistol. I know this one is beyond the tooling I have (small lathe, no milling machine); my lathe is big enough, but without a mill, I'd be reduced to filing or grinding to turn circular bits into lugs and link points. It'd be forty or fifty hours of hand work, or a high probability of ruining the partially machined barrel with a slip of the grinder.

Actually, here is a barrel that would give you two or three tries, for a third less.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I'm not a moderator, but I WILL remind you that name calling is not acceptable behavior here. Knock it off.
    Using bold type is considered yelling and is not in keeping with our gentile atmosphere we prefer here. If someone is acting like a jerk then perhaps the person is a jerk, opinions sometimes differ as to the definition. Enough said I think.

Take Care

Bob

ps I have been advise Jim you have a sight problem and you have to bold your type to effectively read your post. Ok with me but you might want to add something to your signature line to indicate same.
    Last edited by robertbank; 09-21-2012 at 10:28 AM.
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Grand Master

I dont mean to pick a fight or open up a can of worms, but you basically agreed with tokarev that I was being a jerk and I want to know why?
    I honestly thought I was being very generous by showing him where to buy a cheap barrel, and offering to buy the remainder from him. He would probably only be out $15 when all was said and done. Yeah I made a wise crack, but I thought that when a comment is followed by one of these
    it means the guy just made a joke and is not to be taken to heart. No? Thats the way I meant it.
    Did I inadvertently say something to offend your country?
    Again, and with all due respect, I'm not trying to start a fight here, and I'm willing to admit it if I am in the wrong, but this stinks to high heaven.
    You are actually going to bust out a member of the forum for making a joke and offering to help someone?!?!
    This aint the same place anymore.

Boolit Grand Master

"This aint the same place anymore" Boy you ain't just a kiddin'
    Charter Member #148

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I'm not sure I understand it, either.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Tim I am ambivalent. One fellow decides you were being a jerk. Well I don't know if you were or you wern't but I do know someone expressed you were and from my view, that is his opinion freely expressed. If you were learn from it, if you weren't ignore it or take it up with Tokerov by PM but I don't see claiming you are or aren't is insulting and when someone, not you,, starts bolding type and enlarging it such a response is over the top, hence my post.

Now back to building a barrel for a $175 pistol.

Take Care

Bob

Ps I did see your post as being a bit sarcastic and I think I might have responded with a sharp stick as well.
    Last edited by robertbank; 09-21-2012 at 10:29 AM.
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Quote Originally Posted by Casting Timmy View Post
    Stupid question, coudl you machine it out of a 4140 and just put a liner in it? I think there are one or two people here that can cut rifling, maybe they can rifle an oversize blank for you?
    Not a stupid question by any means.

Sleeving is a good idea. I thought of that before, but small amount of metal under the "36.5" dimension line on the left spooked me. There would be a tad less than 0.055" of a bushing over a chamber with less than 0.072" of a chamber wall. If that is enough for 9mm I don't know.

I know there are wizard gunsmiths here who could rifle a blank for me, one who comes to mind right away is John Taylor, however being in Canada am SOL because shipping a barrel out of the US is prohibitively difficult. That reduces my options to sleeving or modifying an existing pistol barrel.

The idea is to make an extended barrel, not just replicate one sold by Norinco. If I wanted another 9mm Norinco Tokarev, I would have bought a handful of them.

I have a barrel that can be used for sleeving - that's 9mm Beretta CX4 Storm carbine barrel. It's chrome plated and I am wondering if it can be cut w/o chipping chrome. Perhaps should I cut with a diamond wheel instead of a saw?

Boolit Grand Master

Obvious things occur to me too and I have a capacity to make this barrel out of a blank.
    I assume from this post that you have a lathe? If you have a little touch, you can use a dremel tool with a cutoff wheel while the barrel is spinning in the lathe to cut it off very cleanly and grind in lug grooves etc.
    I have a Craftsman all-in-one tool (souped up Dremel tool) with a flex wand. I have used my lathe like a tool post grinder before by mounting the end of the flex wand in one of the tool holders. You could try to use the same technique to render the lug grooves in a blank, or your PX4 storm barrel. It's as accurate as your lathe is, you can control it fairly well, and you will have no fear of ruining the chrome lining in your barrel.
    If you use a sharpy marker to draw degree marks on the headstock of your lathe and use the chuck key (or something similar) to see the exact angles you are getting, you can also use it to flute cutters and such.
    .................................................. .........Disclaimer:.............................. .............................
    (I mean no offense to anyone by posting the above information for all to read. Its not the only way, but it is a way that may work for you.
    It is not intended as a way to promote any business that I may or may not own or work for.
    If I offer you a part for a project that you are working on at a fraction of the cost of buying it new, it is not intended to be spam or malicious in any way except to my own profit margins that would benefit more from me leaving you to your own devices and getting back to work.)

Sorry, goodsteel, I have a growing feeling that you are spamming these forums with unhelpful remarks with a sole purpose of advertising your new gunsmithing business. You would get somewhere if you stopped being such a jerk.

Obvious things occur to me too and I have a capacity to make this barrel out of a blank. I even know where to get a blank with large enough o/s diameter. Now, chiao!

I don't get it...

Goodsteel wasn't offering to do this for you, or even suggesting he could do it for you...

What am I missing?
    Last edited by waksupi; 09-29-2012 at 12:02 AM.
    I am ONLY responsible for what I Say!
    I am NOT responsible for what You THINK I Said!
    ====
    If numbers killed I'd hunt with a Calculator!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by nanuk View Post
    I don't get it...

Goodsteel wasn't offering to do this for you, or even suggesting he could do it for you...

What am I missing?
    I would tell you, but I would have to give myself an infraction. It is just an example of an ungrateful person.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

Ya know, I kinda feel like a kid that got his lunch money taken away, and the cop who watched the whole thing happen gave the bad kid a doughnut.
    I guess its OK to say all kinds of disparaging things about a persons character and intentions as long as you don't use bold type?
    Some folks have a little too much green under their handle.
    I apologized like a man in public forum for any wrongdoing that I may have done, but neither one of these two has the stones to offer me the same courtesy even by PM.
    I suppose bravery, humility, honesty, politeness, truth, and fairplay are not things that these two hold in very high regard.
    So, there you have an affront to someones character.
    I used no bold type.
    Ordinarily, I would expect an infraction for spewing such slander, but apparently that is no longer an offence is it?
    I just don't understand. I love the site, I try to give good advice, I have no problem with anyone and generally consider a member here to be on my "good buddy" list. That is how I operate. I do not want or need enemies and so far, in my personal life as well as online, I have hardly any. Being that is my mode of operations, I maintain a small semblance of respect, if not as a person, as a craftsman.
    Given that is my honest MO, what the heck did I ever do to deserve the remarks and accusations made here?
    I may be wrong on occasion, but I am big enough to admit it, and I am right often enough to say that I am not a waste of oxygen. I contribute a lot to folks here in time, money, boolits, machinework, and expertise. I never thought I would be called a "jerk" here.
    Last edited by MBTcustom; 09-29-2012 at 08:21 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast