Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load DataWideners
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unusual question: is there a bbl that can be modified as per the drawing attached?

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I would tell you, but I would have to give myself an infraction. It is just an example of an ungrateful person.
    Your position is understandable. Count me ungrateful if you wish. You have not done the math on the drawing attached to the OP, just as goodsteel has not. The blank that would be required to manufacture this barrel needed to be 1.5" in OD. The blank that he suggested is 1.25" OD. If he thinks that after 5 years on this forum alone it does not occur to me that a barrel can be made from a blank, he needs to give his head a big shake. I too can be in every thread suggesting that things can be made from scratch from a chunk of metal - would it be helpful to anyone?

Boolit Grand Master

I did the math, and it would actually have to be 1.653 in diameter if you were to make it from a solid blank.
    I know how to make it from the very blank that I showed you.

What did I ever do to you Tokarev?
    Last edited by MBTcustom; 09-30-2012 at 08:45 AM.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Tokarev needs to stick to metric measurement, apparently. There are some rude people on here lately. They may need to go elsewhere. We HAVE been trying to clean up the board.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Tokarev needs to stick to metric measurement, apparently. There are some rude people on here lately. They may need to go elsewhere. We HAVE been trying to clean up the board.
    Not sure I follow. Didn't I mention that all measurements on the blueprint were in metric?

Okay, I did not want to go that far and mention that, but it came to that.

I said in the OP that I am looking for a 9 mil barrel, but he suggested to use a 308 blank. If that qualifies as helpful, I don't know what to think. Perhaps my logic is incompatible with this forum's members and I really should not be asking questions here.

Boolit Grand Master

First of all, it seems you have two different prints. One appears to be for a forging and the other is for a finished barrel. I admit that I took the measurements from the forging, and indeed if you take the measurements from the barrel itself, it is true that it would fit in a 1.5" diameter blank, you were right, my math was wrong. Also, they sell a 358 barrel blank for the same cost and I posted the wrong one.
    Here, is this better?
    http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/barrelb...x-125-4140-110
    Now, you made a preposterous request in your OP. I dont care if you make this out of a blank, or if you alter a factory barrel. You are looking at major modifications and machine time. I merely thought that if you had the capability to do what you were suggesting, you might want to just cut to the chase and build it from a blank. Its not the only way to do it, but its a way that might work. I was more concerned with the regulation you put on cost, and I figured that would be your biggest hurtle so I figured that I would offer to get you a blank for low money.
    I don't know what equipment you have available to you. If you don't have the equipment, maybe you should focus on getting your capabilities lined up with your eye for modification?
    If you are going to get offended by advice from people that have the right tools for the job and make a living with the expert use of those tools, I suppose you are in the wrong place.
    Why not just politely mention that you are trying to do all of this in your basement with a file and a hand drill? I was operating under the assumption that you had access to some the tools of the trade by your comments in post #6 and other places on the forum. My mistake, it wont happen again.
    Why roller-skate uphill, and cuss at the cars?
    Irregardless, I was trying to help you, and you called me a jerk and insulted my character. You are a coward for saying something like that from so far away, and you are an even bigger coward for not apologizing for your mistake when you were called on it.
    There are several reputations that have been made solid in this thread, and I am happy with how I have presented myself.
    Last edited by MBTcustom; 09-30-2012 at 08:36 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Just for the record, Tokarev offended me a little bit, and I resent his remarks, but what really chaps my hide is the comments made by Robertbank.
    That was a bad call, and you should be man enough to admit when you make a mistake, and humble enough to see it in the first place. I don't mean to say that you do a lousy job as a moderator, far from it, but you guys are held to a higher standard than the rest of us, and your comments (both here and in our PM conversation) are not on par with the seriousness of your station.
    You have given cast boolits a black eye, and stained the reputation of your station. The least you could do is apologize in public like a man.
    We depend on you moderators to keep the sight clean, and make good, unbiased judgment calls, while being above reproach as you go. You have a lot of power, and it should not be thrown around so flippantly. Like I said in my PM to you Robertbank, I had already apologized and diffused the situation before you came in and busted on Jim for typing in bold, and you needed only to make your presents known and let us rest our eyes on your title for a moment or two as you commented on the original subject of discussion.
    There was no need to get your bullet out of your pocket.

Boolit Grand Master

I sent Robertbank this:
    (I appreciate that you are trying to clean up a mess that I had already handled pretty well, so I thought I would say this in private so as to preserve piece in the forum.)

You made a bad call. Read some of Jims other posts.
    He always types in bold! You are very handily in one stroke offending good members left and right, and Jim is one who is loved by everybody.
    He is near sighted! He can't read what he is writing if he doesn't blow it up, and he does that on every single post he makes!
    You should at least apologize to him in PM

Why did you get involved in the first place? It was not needed. I had apologized and controlled the conversation well, and moved it back on course. In a situation like that, all that was needed from you was a "high how ya doing" to let folks know you are watching.
    Or just comment on the original subject. That moderator flag is like a badge, it does a lot of talking all by itself just like a blue bank of lights on top of an otherwise normal white car.
    Take care.
    and he responded with this:
    While I appreciate your concern consider this. Jim did not bold his entire reply, nor increase the size of his type for the entire reply. He was yelling and that is unacceptable, period.

Now as to whether you are a jerk or not is, as you know, in the eyes of the beholder. I read yor reply and I think the assumption, is over the top. If your sarcasm had been directed at me I might have responded with a pointy stick but to call you a jerk...no I don't think so. I believe you meant well. The sarcasm, well you wrote it.

Take Care

Bob
    Dang right I feel slighted!!!!!!!!

Somebody's cleaner misfired and got Jim. Jim was upset with Tokarev for calling Goodsteel a Yerk for no good reason and so forth. I was upset with Tokarev too. Just goes to show that moderators are fallible too. All caps are used for emphasis. I wasn't aware that we equated them with yelling and that using caps was an infraction. I agree with cleaning up the board, but I hope the aim is better than this.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!