Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: My .300 AAC Case Forming/Trimming Setup

Recently escaped from The People's Republik of Illinois, ...Now living in the Free State of Missouri

My .300 AAC Case Forming/Trimming Setup

Here are some pictures of the setup I assembled to speed up my reforming and trimming operation.

I put my old Taiwanese Drill/Mill to work here; …..But the same thing can be done with any drill press that either has, or can be fitted with a lock on the spindle travel.

I used a Lee Turret Press here only because I have a couple of them sitting around for utility “side work”.

A you can see, the setup just clamps to the table, and is easily removed. Setup is very fast, as all you have to do is center the cutter over the die and set the height.

I made the case forming die by cutting down a Lee .300 AAC full length sizing die; …..But if you want to go “1st Class”, Redding makes a trim die that will do the same job. (The Lee die set was significantly cheaper, and I got a spare seating die and a shell holder out of the deal.)

This rig allows a .300 AAC Blackout case to be formed and trimmed to length with one pull of the handle. Case length is consistent to within .001”.

All that remains to be done is to make a “finishing” pass through a sizing die so that the neck expander ball can do its thing.

This setup makes short work out of doing 1000 rounds, and was well worth the small effort and even smaller investment!

…..And BTW: ….I did consider “going fancy” and buying a Dillon “Rapid Trim 1200” setup for one of my Dillons: …..But Dillion’s Tech Department told me that the Rapid trim was designed to take off a few thousandths, …NOT half an inch of brass! They politely explained that if I burned out the motor doing what I wanted to do, they WOULD NOT warrantee it! (….I know that other people are using the Rapid Trim for this operation; …..But I have too much faith in “Murphy” to “swim against the current” in this case!)

Kent
    KLC

“.....Nuttier than a squirrel turd.” - An assertion by a fellow forum member

Boolit Buddy
    Nice set up sir...

Boolit Bub
    Very nice. One you have that set up, it would make short work to cut down 1 or 2K cases.

Boolit Bub
    Nice work!

Beats the heck out of bubba,s hacksaw on the cases.
    High Hook

Boolit Master

Very nice. I've thought about that same setup for my drill press. Have the forming die.

Any tips on a good end mill bit to use? What speed do you find works best?

Boolit Master

Could you make a video of the procedure. Looks very well done.
    Thanks