Quote Originally Posted by Alan in Vermont View Post
There is an inherent problem with any of the entry level AC machines that use a snap switch to set output amps. There is too much jump from one setting to the next one, so it's really hard to get the right current with the smaller electrodes used at low current levels. The problem is made worse by the fact that those machines are often bought by someone, totally new to welding, who lacks the skills necessary to adjust how they manipulate the electrode to alleviate some of the shortcomings of the machines.
Well, the ol' AC-225 was what I learned on in high school MANY decades ago... One came up on CraigsList a few years ago for $75 and it looked to be in great shape other than the fact that it needed a new front power switch. I just use the circuit breaker to turn it on and off.

I've also got quite a bit of time with and old Lincoln "Pipeliner" SA-200 that we had on the family ranch, but the steel I was welding there was even thicker -- probably 1/4" was the thinnest I ever had to weld on back there.

If I have to do the thin stuff, I can break out the oxy-acetylene tanks and weld (or braze if necessary) it. If it's too thin for me to do with my "skill" with an oxy-acetylene rig, then it's time for some construction adhesive or rivets (which is what I had to do when I was patching some rust spots in the floorboard of my Jeep at one time).

Give me 1/8" wall thickness or better and I'm happy...