MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWidenersLee Precision
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackbox
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cooking pinto beans in cast iron

Cooking pinto beans in cast iron

Is it just me or anyone else? When I try to cook pinto beans (dried beans soaked in water over night) in a cast iron dutch oven on the stove, the beans turn blue in color!!! When I use a regular pot they don't turn blue. What's up with this? Is it just me. BTW, I've tried two different cast iron dutch ovens and they both turned the beans blue.

Thanks for any help.

The Dove

Le Loup Solitaire

Cast iron and pinto beans

It is a known fact that cast iron when used for cooking, is a source of iron for the human body in terms of nutrition. A doctor or nutritionist can confirm that. It is that iron in your dutch ovens that is causing your pinto beans to change color so eating them will not turn you into a rare earth magnet. If you have any doubts then call your pharmacist who undoubtedly has a background in chemistry and ask him/her, or your family doctor. It is probably just an element in the makeup of the pinto bean that is reacting to the iron from the cast. LLS

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

I've never cooked dried pinto beans.
    I haven't seen it with great northerns or navy beans, then again I don't like having standing water in my CI overnight.
    FWIW I most frequently make beans when I'm camping with scouts. I typically soak them in a 1 gallon ziploc bag that I've thrown in a dutch oven (for safe keeping and practicality) when we pack the camp trailer.

My mother never soaked them overnight. She'd bring them to a boil, turn off the burner and let them sit just a couple hours. There was one instance where that was "insufficient." There and ever after we called her beans "cement suprise."
    Last edited by fatnhappy; 09-16-2012 at 09:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Mine will so the same. Don't use it for that anymore.
    Casting, Reloading & Shooting

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Do not let beans, or anything else sit overnight in cast iron, unless there is heat to it. The food can be totally ruined and inedible.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

I am sorry I didn't make it clear. I don't soak them in the cast iron over night. I just soak them in a glass bowl in the fridge overnight and cook them in the cast iron the next day. However, I, like tryNto said, do not use the cast iron to cook them anymore.

Thanks for the help.

The Dove

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

That's why they make Crock Pots. Give 'em 8 to 10 hours on "Low" and you have perfectly cooked beans.

Boolit Master

Cool

I have cooked pinto beans in various cast iron containers over the years, and I have never had them turn blue! Am I missing something? Doing something wrong? I feel left out now that I have read this! Why doit I get blue beans? I deserve them as much as anyone! In fact, according to the currnet administration, I am ENTITLED to them!
    "with liberty and justice for all"...must be 18 or older, not available in all states, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply. D. Stanhope

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." George Mason Co-author of the Second Ammemdment

well km, get yourself up here at the J Lazy S J ranch and show me how you do it......... My door is always open.

The Dove

I have cooked lots of beans in cast iron and have never had them turn blue either.

That said, I cook pinto beans in a crock pot. I put them on late afternoon on high. About bedtime I turn them down on low and let the cook overnight. I wake up to Border Beans for breakfast. They are not blue.

1 lb of pinto beans.
    1/2 lb of chopped bacon
    1 tsp of minced garlic
    1 chopped onion
    1 ts. of Mexican oregano
    1/2 finely chopped jalapeno pepper
    a little salt to taste.

No need to soak the beans when you cook them this long.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    I never cook beans in my cast iron.. I always use enameled (sp) cook ware or granite cook ware...I understand that at chuck wagon cookoffs if you cook beans in a cast iron pot some judges will disqualify you...
    The problem in America today is, there are to many fools making to many rules that don't apply to themselves. Now just wait until the new pres. takes office and see what happens!!!!!

Banned

I allways thougth the cast iron dutch oven was the classic way to make them. I even bought a new big dutch oven to try it. Havent got around to it yet. If it imparts something unhealthy to the beans wouldnt it do it to about everything you cook in it.

Boolit Master

I cook beans in cast iron, in fact, all my pots are cast iron. No blue beans.
    Is your pot well seasoned?
    Hammer head357; How did the chuckwagon cooks in the day cook beans without cast?.
    From what I understand, beans were a treat on the trail. The time required to cook them was longer than mst lay-overs.
    A trail-hand's diet was bacon gravy and biscuits.
    Best,
    Mike

NRA Life Member
    Remember Ira Hayes

I am familiar with Chuck Wagon cooking, cooks and contests and they cook beans in cast iron.

My Grandmother cooked in cast iron, passed it on to me and I have been cooking with cast iron for well over 50 years. The only downside is the weight and the maintainence.

Although expensive the French Le Creuset cookwear is wonderful stuff. It is cast iron with heavy enamel coating. It provides all the benefits of cast iron cooking without all of the maintainence issues.

I am sitting down to key this, just after finishing breakfast. I cooked Kentucky Country Ham on a cast iron griddle, biscuits in the oven in a cast iron skillet and sawmill (white cream) gravy in a Le Creuset sause pan. All washed down with black Columbian coffee. Don't get no better than this!

As an aside, Le Creuset makes some stock pots of various sizes. It is almost impossible to burn foods cooked in these. I don't know how they are made (they are not cast iron), but they are wonderful gizmos. If you are going to cook beans on top of the stove, I don't think you could find anything better..cheaper yes..but better no.

High quality cookware is a lifetime investment for folks who like to cook and eat. It is well worth the price you have to pay.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Buddy
    In the hills south of the Kaw river, Kansas
    I quit soaking my beans when my stepmother asked me "why the bother". Can't tell the difference and don't have to think ahead.

Jim
    ...Praise Him all creatures here below...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by tall grass View Post
    I quit soaking my beans when my stepmother asked me "why the bother". Can't tell the difference and don't have to think ahead.

Jim

I did just the opposite. I started soaking my beans overnight about 2 batches back. They produce less gas and discomfort that way (at least for me).

My method is to soak them overnight, discard the water they were soaked in and use fresh water to cook them in.

Cast Boolits Search Tool

The Learning Never Stops!

Boolit Buddy
    I'll soak and rinse a couple times during the night and the water gets cleaner each rinse. helps the final look of the beans especially if ya are making a bean soup and want the added veggies to keep their original colors like carrots, celery and white onion. uummmm good stuff

Skinny

Quote Originally Posted by OneSkinnyMass View Post
    I'll soak and rinse a couple times during the night and the water gets cleaner each rinse. helps the final look of the beans especially if ya are making a bean soup and want the added veggies to keep their original colors like carrots, celery and white onion. uummmm good stuff

Skinny
    Here again we have regional cooking. I know of no Texan who would put carrots and celery in beans. That might even be a hanging offense in some remote parts of the state.

Hey Char, I think he was refering to bean soup, not a pot of beans. I have tried some bean soup (made with northern beans I beleive) while I was stationed in Minnesota and while I never do cook it, it was different and pretty tasty.

To my beans, I add chilli powder, some cumin, 4 bay leaves, maybe a cube or 2 of beef boulion, salt and pepper, and some Jalopeno's when the Mrs. ain't around. I also will either add two ham hocks, or a ham bone, or some fat back when making a pot of beans. Been known to throw in a russet a time or two to get the juice a little thicker and starchy (but I always pull it out before serving)... Throw on a pan of home-made cornbread and step back boy's..... Love them beans.......

The Dove

Bean soup? What the heck is that all about? Must be some sort of Yankee thing. Sounds awful!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast