RepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
WidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I will no longer be buying shot from rotometals.com

Banned

I will no longer be buying shot from rotometals.com

I WILL NO LONGER BE BUYING SHOT FROM ROTOMETALS.COM THIS WILL BE MY LAST TIME. NEVER AGAIN FOLKS !

I ordered a bag of #7/8 Reclaim lead ($36.49/#25 bag)from RotoMetals.com back on February 16, 2012 and was charged $11.00 for shipping via USPS Priority Flat Rate Box. Grand total of the bill was $47.49 per my invoice right here in front of me. My last two orders were the same.

I just went through a complete hassle to order another #10 bag of the #4 Copper Plated Lead shot ($28.99/#10 bag) and the USPS Priority shipping is stated at $33.00 making the grand total of the order $62.19
    *** !?!?!?!?!?!

I called them to confirm the shipping total and the CSR said, "That certainly does not sound right" I then proceed to explain to her, as she pulled my previous order invoice that confirmed I paid $11.00 for USPS Priority Flat Rate shipping on my my last order, which was for a #25 pound bag of shot. ( not a 10 pound, but, a 25 pound bag )

She confirmed my order via Pay Pal and then I get a call back a few minutes later and she tells me, "I see you already placed the order", I stated, "Yes I did per your instructions".

THEN SHE PROCEEDS TO TELL ME, "The owner just told me that you should have actually paid the full price because shipping is soooooo expensive now, but, we are going to honor the refund this time only, but, please be aware of the shipping charges next time" I laughed and said, "Don't worry, there won't be a next time."

I ABOUT FELL OUT OF MY CHAIR

I said, "Are you kidding me ? $33.00 for shipping a 10 pound bag of shot USPS Priority Flat Rate Box ?" Then I proceeded to let her know that, "I will have to find some place else to buy shot because $33.00 for shipping is completely ridiculous."

With all due respect, RotoMetals can kiss my backside and they WILL NEVER get my business again. USPS Flat Rate Medium Priority Box only costs $10.95 and only $11.65 with Delivery Confirmation ! "one price regardless of weight, up to 70 pounds." And they want to charge me $33.00 ??????? That's not going to happen.

They treated me very well the past 3 orders I have made with them, and I ship with these boxes on a daily basis here from my repair shop, and there is no way on God's Green Earth can it ever cost $33.00. It's impossible.

Well, I'm done with RotoMetals.com The "Owner" needs to find some reality. I mean the shipping options menu starts with "2-6 BIZ day Economy shipping at $21.??"

My lord they are charging more for shipping fees than the damned product itself costs !

All I can say is, either people who pay that shipping are really stupid and naive, or RM doesn't sell much shot...
    Last edited by DODGEM250; 09-13-2012 at 01:25 PM.

In Remembrance

The question that comes to mind is, "what are the ship rates for their alloy ingots then"? Their answer just sounds plain wrong about shipping fees.Robert

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast416taylor View Post
    The question that comes to mind is, "what are the ship rates for their alloy ingots then"? Their answer just sounds plain wrong about shipping fees.Robert
    No idea. I get my ingots from a local fella for free, but, I'd be curious to add a few to the shopping cart and see what they state as shipping.

I just did it to see what it would say for shipping and the shipping charges are the same for shot. I did the cart contents for 10 ingots of:

ANTIMONIAL LEAD Ingot (4-6% Antimony Lead)

$1.89

$18.90

Click to remove an item from your cart
    Empty My Entire Cart
    Shipping Rates: (change my address)
    United States, MD, 20640

Tax:

$0.00

Show gift options during checkout

Coupon code? Enter it here:

Total:

$18.90

Moderator Emeritus

They have to have some website screw up. I put 25lbs of pure lead in the shopping cart and punched in my address and it came up with $62.60 for USPS priority shipping. I suspect they have it calculating priority by weight rather than using the flat rate. I'd certainly not buy from them until they figure that out.
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

Boolit Grand Master
    Their website's front page shows that "free shipping" applies on weights of 99#+. Their price breaks per pound seem to roughly follow 60# increments, which parallel the USPS FRB limits pretty closely--so I figure that's how alloy arrives. One of my shooting pals made a 65# contribution to the lead kitty with Roto #2 alloy, and it is good stuff. He didn't mention any exorbitant shipping rates, maybe they had a special offer on FRB packs.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

I just did a test also 2-6 day economy shipping for 15 pounds of there ANTIMONIAL LEAD ingot shipped to Mass was $28.35 Lead + $23.06 Economy shipping for a grand total of $51.41!!! Thats CRAZY!!
    45 ACP because shooting more than once is just silly!!

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Boolit Grand Master
    Uh.....can you say "Small Order Disincentive?"
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master

Rotometal's shipping rates are fine (free) when you buy $99+ worth of stuff...which I always do. Why pay for shipping when you can get it free?

If you need 1 bag of shot, eventually you will need four.

($36.49/#25 bag)
    This ^ was your first mistake...paying someone that much for reclaimed shot! that price just seems criminal to me.

Sorry about the confusion over shipping with the new girl.
    She didn't explain that correctly. The shopping cart is a weight based system and charges by the pound, not by the flat rate box, because only certain items can fit in them. ie long handle ladles don't fit. The weight based system turns off after you hit $99, if all items have a green truck.
    it should of been the same $11 as last time.
    On orders under $100 its going to charge more because we need to cover insurance/handling because all USPS flat rates have a much high damaged / loss rate then a UPS or fed ex would.

We appreciate the business, but because of the West Coast/ Mayco monopoly they control the prices and we make pennies on the bags

Regards
    Ryan

Boolit Master
    Ryan,

it sounds to me like your webmaster needs to fix your shopping cart, before you lose a lot more business. Insurance on one-hundred dollars via USPS Flat Rate boxes is less than $2. They give you the boxes free, and come to get your orders free as well.

I live in Nampa, Idaho, and my local store only charges $39.95 for 25-lb bags plus the 6% sales tax.

regards,

Rich
    Sua Sponte

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by UNIQUEDOT View Post
    This ^ was your first mistake...paying someone that much for reclaimed shot! that price just seems criminal to me.
    Do you have a better source ? Please, let me know.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotometals View Post
    Sorry about the confusion over shipping with the new girl.
    She didn't explain that correctly. The shopping cart is a weight based system and charges by the pound, not by the flat rate box, because only certain items can fit in them. ie long handle ladles don't fit. The weight based system turns off after you hit $99, if all items have a green truck.
    it should of been the same $11 as last time.
    On orders under $100 its going to charge more because we need to cover insurance/handling because all USPS flat rates have a much high damaged / loss rate then a UPS or fed ex would.

We appreciate the business, but because of the West Coast/ Mayco monopoly they control the prices and we make pennies on the bags

Regards
    Ryan
    With all due respect Ryan, she explained it to me and that the way it was meant for me to take it, otherwise she would not have said and she could not have made it up.

As for the statement you make, highlighted in red above, I ship USPS every day of the week and even with USPS insurance at "$250.00 and Above" it's only about $2.85 for Insurance, I can send you a photo of all of the stacks of USPS labels here I use in my shop if need be, I'm very familiar with them, making the USPS total, about $15.00 at the very most. $33.00 is more than twice what it costs.

AND... Y our comment, "much high damaged / loss rate then a UPS or fed ex would." That is complete garbage. I am way too familiar with USPS shipping, and I ship to 6 different countries from my shop, to believe that comment in any way shape or form.

All of my previous orders with RM came in a USPS Priority Medium Flat Rate Box. I'm more than confident, given my shipping experience with USPS that the shipping charges and rates didn't more than double over a 7 month period.

Now, don't "blame it on the new girl" and please stop back-peddling on what I was told. I mean after all, it was important enough for her to call me back and tell me, "The owner said you should have actually paid the $33.00, but..." The fact is, if the "Owner" had not made this comment, then I would have not gotten the phone call.

The second fact is, don't use a commercially advertized Flat Rate shipping service if you're going to charge 3 times what is actually costs ( even the stupidest people will catch on to to the USPS commercials ). There may be some really stupid consumers out there who get suckered into outrageous shipping fees becuase they don't know any better, but, I am not one of them, especially when someone tries to charge me 3 times the advertised price for shipping.

USPS produces commercials on TV so people know it costs "only this much" and and when I take my boxes to the PO I know it doesn't cost my customer or myself more than "only this much".

Yes, additional services like Delivery Confirmation and/or Insurance are additional, for a few cents / dollars more, but, you are never going to convince me that a USPS Flat Rate Box and Insurance costs $33.00

The sad mistake was receiving all of my previous orders in USPS Flat Rate Medium Boxes at $11.00 every time, and then I end up in a complete hassle trying to order again and then the conversation with the, very polite lady I spoke with, while trying to sort this mess out.

I select USPS shipping methods on lots of things I order personally and for my business. I am very aware of what I have been getting and what the costs were. I went through the roof after I go that phone call from the Lady at RM. Never again until someone figures out who is in charge of coming up with the shipping rates at RM. Whomever that is needs to find a new career immediately. I don't know how else to say it but the factual way.

I honestly thought the Lady was kidding with me when she called me back and told me what she told me the Owner told her. If I had of paid the #33.00 and then received that order in the mail in Flat Rate Box again, the Owner would have been a phone call from me personally. The order would have been refunded. Heck I would even go so far as to ship it back because I know it would only cost everybody else in the world only $11.95

Now if RM's is charging $33.00 for an advertised Flat Rate Box, I would really hate to see what shipping service they are using for their "2-6 BIZ Day Economy -$21.??" shipping service. Did someone reinstate the Pony Express ?

Am I hot and extremely irritated by this fiasco today with RotoMetals ? You bet I am... All $33.00 of it.
    Last edited by DODGEM250; 09-13-2012 at 07:01 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wiljen View Post
    They have to have some website screw up. I put 25lbs of pure lead in the shopping cart and punched in my address and it came up with $62.60 for USPS priority shipping. I suspect they have it calculating priority by weight rather than using the flat rate. I'd certainly not buy from them until they figure that out.
    I was willing to go along with the "website screwup" theory until the girl called me back and said, I should have actually paid the $33.20 shipping. This blows that theory completely out of the equation.

Banned
    I am proud to announce that RotoMetals.com has officially added a new shipping service rate to their shipping options in the shopping cart / checkout process. As of last night, they have added,

"Flat Shipping USPS (2-6 Biz Day) $9.99"

This is much better and it should go without being said, but, it should have been done this way from the start.

Heck, I might even take a chance at ordering from them again. Maybe I should run for President. It appears as though I can create "change" where it is required in less than 4 years...

DOBAMA250 has indeed created change..... $9.99, down from $11.95, that is enough change to grab a coffee!
    I am ONLY responsible for what I Say!
    I am NOT responsible for what You THINK I Said!
    ====
    If numbers killed I'd hunt with a Calculator!

If I'm not mistaking the "handling fee" used to be some 20 dollars per shipment? And now with this new option it is free?

If so, the firm is practically selling the stuff cheaper than it used to. At some point in near future they will just raise the prices to compensate.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nanuk View Post
    DOBAMA250 has indeed created change..... $9.99, down from $11.95, that is enough change to grab a coffee!

No. That's $9.99 down from $33.20

You need re-read the post.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ola View Post
    If I'm not mistaking the "handling fee" used to be some 20 dollars per shipment? And now with this new option it is free?

If so, the firm is practically selling the stuff cheaper than it used to. At some point in near future they will just raise the prices to compensate.
    I have never been charged any such $20.00 handling fee. However, if the case results in higher product prices, then we'll just not buy it at all. The products' price is fine, but, the shipping fee(s) is absolutely ridiculous. Of course this was rather obvious since RM changed / added a proper fee to their options list.

Do you have a better source ? Please, let me know.
    Not for reclaimed shot, but you can buy new magnum shot cheaper.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast