Titan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationWidenersRepackboxReloading Everything
Lee Precision

Thread: Free Check 111 Question

Boolit Master

Free Check 111 Question

I have a PB Freecheck 111 I made from Ed's design.

I am using .008 & .009 Aluminun flashing material in a roll.

The question is does it matter if the check has a concave or convex (dome) shape when installed.

I looked at the Hornady checks I have and they have a concave shape before installed.

What is your opinion anyone that has tried Pat's or Charlie's notice any difference in accuracy?
    Last edited by Swede44mag; 10-15-2012 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Added aluminum thickness
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master

I have two plain based Checkmakers from Pat. I cut my aluminum from beer cans which have a curve from the can shape so the discs have a slight curve. It doesn't matter if I turn them inside out so they are silver or stamp them with the can color showing. The check looks like a little bottle cap with a flat bottom, and it doesn't matter if the are inside out or outside out. When seated on the boolit the bottle cap appearance is gone as the check is swaged onto the boolit base. There is no concave or convex shape to the check, it is flat. Frank

Boolit Buddy
    Question: popcans are you using just one or two of the GC on the boolet when made this way or is it just the benefit of getting/making 2 GC with each pull?

Boolit Master

My checkmaker is a two stage operation. First, you punch the disk, then you form the check. When I punch two layers they separate. If I want to double the checks I put two disk in the die and punch them. For plain based boolits you don't need two. For gas check shanked boolits you can double them but I prefer punching thicker material to make a standard type check. Soda cans are about .004 and some energy drink cans are a tad thicker. I only have one plain based boolit that works better with a chicken check. The rest work great with standard cans. Frank