Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Load DataRepackboxLee PrecisionWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wano Powder

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Klaus. I will get some then.
    Its easier to get than P grade or Swiss.
    Keith

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by plourbag View Post
    Here in the Land Down Under We occasionally have difficulty in getting our supplies of black powder. The most available, and therefore the most widely used, is Wano. It's also half the price of Swiss, if and when you can find it. I know from a couple of popular BP books (several years old) that Wano is available in the US although the write-ups weren't over enthusiastic (not critical, just not enthusiastic, although at the time of those publications it was a new arrival on the scene). From my limited experience with Wano, either the quality has improved since those articles, or it is more suitable to our Oz conditions than those in the US. It doesn't burn as clean as Swiss but the holes in the paper aren't too disappointing.
    I was wondering if anyone can advise:
    1. Is Wano powder now widely used in the US
    2. Any opinions/comparisons re the quality
    3. Any opinions as to the quality/difference between their ffg and PP powders.

Just curious.
    It's been a long while since I've used WANO powder, but I came to possess about 5 or 6 pounds of it. I shoot exclusively 3f or P and that is all that I had to compare other than some GOEX 3f that I didn't but on a couple of occasions compare. The folks I got my black powder from here in Hawaii brought in mostly GOEX and Elephant Black Powder. Others that I associate with that have the availability of Swiss love it beyond measure, so I can't compare it as I've never shot swiss... but I'd be suggesting they are two classes of comparison for sure by several degrees.

This powder was used by the International Blackpowder Shoot that was held in Hawaii some years ago and left here for transportation considerations and that is how I was able to be in possession of some. It is a "weaker" powder than either GOEX or Elephant at the time I shot it but I had no problems with velocities over the chronograph that were notable and so in my opinion, and for me, consistency and variation are good indicators of a powders worth and I found nothing that would cause me to not use it.

Much Aloha,

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123