RepackboxLoad DataTitan ReloadingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading EverythingWideners
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: Blue Dot 00 Buckshot Recipe

Boolit Mold

Blue Dot 00 Buckshot Recipe

I'm new to shotshell reloading, but not new to reloading. I am trying to come up with a recipe or a starting place for some of the components I have.

I have:
    Many AA Hulls (from someone else)
    Some Wal-Mart Remington and Winchester cheap buckshot hulls (that I've fired)
    WAA12 Wads
    Winchester 209 primers
    1 lb Blue Dot powder
    7-8 lbs Hi Skor 700x powder
    Hornady 00 buckshot

Is there a recipe for the combination of components that I've listed? Do I need different wads? I'm having trouble coming up with data. I've thought about trying 34gr of Blue Dot and moving up from there a little until I get good patterning.

Boolit Master
    my load which is from the lyman shotshell reloading is 2 3/4 Win AA hull, Claybuster WAA12 wad, win 209, 10 pellets OO buck stacked in layers of 2 with 37 gr of blue dot. Which is IIRC is slightly under max charge.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks. For an 8 or 9 count 00 load, what changes would you propose?

Boolit Master
    8 should weigh about 1 oz and 9 should be about 1 1/8 oz, so any lead shot data for those weights would be safe. Buckshot should not compress when fired giving less pressure than a lead shot load. It will all be about filling the shell for a proper crimp. I did do some 9 pellet loads with unique and WAA12 wads. I can[t rember the charge. Stacks of three did not fit the wad very well for me. That lead me to the 10 pellet load in stacks of two.

My previous post should have said 10 pellets in a WAA12R wad.

Boolit Master
    I see Hornady has a 8 pellet load at I believe around 1600. I would take that over a 10 pellet load. I loaded some years ago with Herco. I think I cut the petals off the wad and it could have been an 8 pellet load. I dropped some deer with them a long ways off. getting the load the proper height so it will crimp, you may have to make some adjustments.

Boolit Mold
    9 00 pellets fit in the AA hull with a WAA12 wad and a Winchester 209 primer. I dropped in 21 grains of Unique (that I purchased today) instead of using Blue Dot. I have buffer, but did not use any since it wasn't in the loading data. I'm using a MEC 650N. My crimps suck and seemed to crush the top of the hull. I suppose I will need to figure out how to adjust the crimp.

If I can't get this right I'm going to buy new hulls and wads. Any help is appreciated!

Boolit Master
    by crushing do you mean they are pushed to far in and have a hole in the middle? that would indicate not a high enough shot colum, and you could add more buffer or a card wad under the buckshot.

I wouldn't use Blue dot for a buckshot powder unless you were using WW red wads and 3" hulls.

Stack the 00 buck in 4 layers of 2 and use whatever charge the Hodgdon website recommends for 1- one and 1/8oz shot load using WAA12 wads. I think your 700x might work well for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    Stack the 00 buck in 4 layers of 2 and use whatever charge the Hodgdon website recommends for 1- one and 1/8oz shot load using WAA12 wads. I think your 700x might work well for this.
    I have had good luck using 19grains of Green dot with this recipe. Just making blasting loads.

In my limited tests, I've found that if you want to use a shot cup and heavier buckshot payloads, it's easier to make good shotgun ammo using smaller shot sizes.

.320 buck "0" stacks well in layers of 3 inside a shot cup as does #1 buck (.300").

Every time I play with Blue Dot, my barrel comes away with tons of residue, it's pretty dirty and needs full pressure loads to burn right it seems.

My favorite buck load lately has been Universal powder (24gns), WAA12F114 with petals cut and 9 pellets (3x3) of OO buck. Very good patterns outta my 870 with skeet choke, has good distance and uniform patterns.
    I cast, therefore I am (well supplied with bullets!)

NRA Life Member

Boolit Mold
    I went ahead and purchased Lyman's Shotshell manual. I decided to use 32 gr SR7625, WAA12r wads, and 9 00 pellets in the AA hulls. The hulls show a slight bulge with the buckshot. They still feed. I'm going to use the Blue Dot with #4 buckshot later when I get some #4. Thanks for the input!

Boolit Master

Bought a pound of Blue Dot today (should have gotten the Red Dot), will work up some buckshot loads.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Banned

How can anyone regret buying Blue Dot? I guess I am biased Blue over Red and Green.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kamcbrayer View Post
    I'm new to shotshell reloading, but not new to reloading. I am trying to come up with a recipe or a starting place for some of the components I have.

I have:
    Many AA Hulls (from someone else)
    Some Wal-Mart Remington and Winchester cheap buckshot hulls (that I've fired)
    WAA12 Wads
    Winchester 209 primers
    1 lb Blue Dot powder
    7-8 lbs Hi Skor 700x powder
    Hornady 00 buckshot

Is there a recipe for the combination of components that I've listed? Do I need different wads? I'm having trouble coming up with data. I've thought about trying 34gr of Blue Dot and moving up from there a little until I get good patterning.
    Here is some pressure tested data using 700X powder, check index and go to 12 ga. Buckshot

http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/FIR..._reloading.pdf

Updated: Previous link did not work.
    Last edited by RMc; 08-15-2020 at 06:30 AM. Reason: Update, replace dead link and clarification

I say load your hulls like you would for regular shot and just replace the shot with 00 shot or any buck shot of your choice and test it from there.I did that with 410 and got a nice patten.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Man
    I would take a tight 6 pellet load of 00 over a large pattern of 9 pellets anyday. It has always amazed me how pellets of buckshot just seem to disappear from the pattern board.

Boolit Master
    http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/FIR..._reloading.pdf

Try this - scroll down for Buckshot with 700X
    Last edited by RMc; 08-15-2020 at 06:33 AM. Reason: Update, replace dead link and clarification

Quote Originally Posted by RMc View Post
    http://stevespages.com/pdf/imr_reloading.pdf

Try this - scroll down for Buckshot with 700X
    The load with 800X is what I use but with 45gr of cream of wheat as a filler. I see no reason why it would be any different with the 700x load listed.