RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWidenersReloading Everything
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A hazard from gas checks?

Boolit Master
    With NO proof of anything, I have always seated the check in the neck Just to be sure. The odds are it will be fine . But the odds of winning the lottery are insane , but someone wins it every week too. I control every thing I can and cant justify taking a chance.
    But to each his own. My $0.02 worth.
    NRA LIFER .. "THE CAST BULLET HANDLOADER IS THE ONLY ONE THAT REALLY MAKES ANY OF HIS AMMUNITION. OTHERS MEARLY ASSEMBLE IT". -E.H. HARRISON

----------------------
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
    Thomas Jefferson
    ------
    "Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem."
    -- Ronald Reagan

Boolit Mold
    Ok,so you are saying that any straight wall load you would not have to worry about a check coming off. I have pulled some bullets on my gascheck 44 and the check staied in the case,even though it was flat and hard to get out after I had pulled the bullet. Every time I think I have it all figured out someone comes up with some problem. I see that you are talking about a rifle load with a short neck and seating the bullet to deep,and the gascheck comming off. But I am sure with a straight wall 357,44,38 and 45 that you would never have a problem. David2011 ,I got to try that,what a way to make a birdshot 44. Jerry

Boolit Grand Master

As long a a check is a crimp on there is no problem. When seating for a K31 almost all loads havve the check below the neck and i have never had one come off. As to it's lodging in the bore even if it's not on the base of the bullet it will still blow oout the muzzle. With the non crimped gas checks like we used in the old days it was not uncommon for the check to come off after leaving the bore, in fact I had several screens with check holes and dents. I have found cases that had the bullet seated deep where the check was found still in the case after firing, but in this case the check fell off before firing and there was no pressure behind it to force it out of the case. All that being said I still prefer to seat the check in the neck wherever possible, but if I can't I don't worry about blowing up the gun.

Banned

I was trying to find the OAL for a new boolit for my 308 last night. I had 4 checks come off when I was pulling the boolit because of it being too deep in the case. One came off when it was too long an was stuck in the throat. These were Blammers GC's. They were run threw my rcbs luber an sizer. I am not too happy about this as I never had a problem with Hornady doing this. I think the cup is not deep enough.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    I was trying to find the OAL for a new boolit for my 308 last night. I had 4 checks come off when I was pulling the boolit because of it being too deep in the case. One came off when it was too long an was stuck in the throat. These were Blammers GC's. They were run threw my rcbs luber an sizer. I am not too happy about this as I never had a problem with Hornady doing this. I think the cup is not deep enough.
    I doubt that is the case. Hornady checks have a thick rim that actually bites into the boolit. It is created at the same time that they punch out the check. Easy to do if you have a 100 ton punch press. They probably knock out 1000 every 3-4 seconds. (I would Sooooo love to see that! Can you imagine the sound of 1000 gas checks falling onto a conveyor every 4 seconds? Music.)
    Anyway, no homemade check is going to stay on that well, but if the cartridges are loaded correctly, its not a problem.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Banned

One thing I noticed was these checks are not as tall as the Hornady ones. Thats what I was wondering about if they just did not have enough to hold onto the base?

Banned
    Once upon a time not too long ago I bulged the rifled barrel on a Mossberg 835Slug barrel with a brand name factory loaded super duuper sabot slug. It knocked me clean out of the chair and spun me about but no serious harm was done. I was fine, the bystandes were fine, the gun itself was fine. The barrel was not fine...... Upon closer examination you could see a definate impression of one of those plastic gas seals that the factory uses below the stack of filler wads. I sectioned the barrel and sent it and the empty hulls/loaded rounds back to the company that made the slugs. They bought me a new barrel and about 6 months later that slug loading was discontinued.

I think that when it was being loaded the gas seal got pushed sideways into the powder charge (MANUFACTURING FLAW)and then everything else got pushed on top. When fired the gas seal likely came to rest midbarrel from lack of push but the filler wads propelled the slug out the bore. When I shot the next round things got interesting. One of the bystanders to this incident said something did sound slightly odd on my previous shot but that previous slug landed in the group with the rest of the other slugs. I did not notice the "odd" sound and the slug made a hole in the paper so i fired the next one....thats when I fell out of my chair.

Things can and will happen and all this was a straight hulled case....just happened to be plastic and at lowere pressure than the subject at hand.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 357maximum View Post
    Once upon a time not too long ago I bulged the rifled barrel on a Mossberg 835Slug barrel with a brand name factory loaded super duuper sabot slug. It knocked me clean out of the chair and spun me about but no serious harm was done. I was fine, the bystandes were fine, the gun itself was fine. The barrel was not fine...... Upon closer examination you could see a definate impression of one of those plastic gas seals that the factory uses below the stack of filler wads. I sectioned the barrel and sent it and the empty hulls/loaded rounds back to the company that made the slugs. They bought me a new barrel and about 6 months later that slug loading was discontinued.

I think that when it was being loaded the gas seal got pushed sideways into the powder charge (MANUFACTURING FLAW)and then everything else got pushed on top. When fired the gas seal likely came to rest midbarrel from lack of push but the filler wads propelled the slug out the bore. When I shot the next round things got interesting. One of the bystanders to this incident said something did sound slightly odd on my previous shot but that previous slug landed in the group with the rest of the other slugs. I did not notice the "odd" sound and the slug made a hole in the paper so i fired the next one....thats when I fell out of my chair.

Things can and will happen and all this was a straight hulled case....just happened to be plastic and at lowere pressure than the subject at hand.
    Thanks for posting that very relevant tid-bit!
    I have been fed so much rumor in this hobby, that I have come to regard personal experience and experimentation as the last word, and its very hard to argue with the logic of your post.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

one thing is, I always anneal my gas checks, so there is no bounce back. they always fit tighter than the un- annealed checks . one thing I would like to know, is are all gas checks the same height? I know tome boy said that hornadies were slightly taller, but I am speaking for the 9.3X62, and I don't think hornady has caught on to that cartridges existence yet. but out of the other brands, is there any that are taller than the rest? I think that would help if your boolit is slightly below the neck-Travis
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

so far I have only found that gator checks, and a "supplier" for buffalo reloading makes 9.3 checks, does anyone know who that other supplier is
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123