WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

View Poll Results: What are your blood lead levels and has your doctor prescribed treatment?

Voters
1300. You may not vote on this poll
  • 10 mcg/dL or less

389 29.92%
  • 11 to 25 mcg/dL

106 8.15%
  • 25 to 44 mcg/dL

46 3.54%
  • 45 mcg/dL or more

20 1.54%
  • I've never been tested, but show no symptoms

705 54.23%
  • I've never been tested, but DO show symptoms

15 1.15%
  • My doctor prescribed treatment

6 0.46%
  • My doctor did not prescribe treatment

142 10.92%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you poisoned? The lead blood levels poll...

Blasted hellish frozen northern wastelands, AKA Minnesota
    The only time I had a heavy metal screen, it came back low in the normal range for Lead.
    Big surprise was I was at the top of the range for Arsenic. Turned out the whole basement of the place I lived was painted with very old, peeling, chalking light green paint... And the paint colorant had been a copper arsenic compound. We re-painted the basement in a hurry, and I've moved away since. No more heavy metal problems.

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    I just had my physical, about a year and a half after the last one, and had them check lead. Came back less than two. Last time it was 4. I haven't done anything different. Matter of fact, this time wasn't all that long after a smelting session. There was a lot of smoke and it was windy. I was fighting a cold and I couldn't smell as well as normal. I spent a good amount of time down wind of the smelting, trying not too breathe too much of it. I don't use a face mask. Too much trouble and I don't think they provide a significant amount of protection. More trouble than they're worth.

Anyway, my lead level is down by half from last time. I don't take extraordinary measures, just the common sense stuff like washing my hands before directly handling food. I keep my drink within a couple of feet of my casting furnace while working. I also don't smoke. Handling cigarettes during casting is asking for trouble.

Bottom line is that space suits aren't necessary to protect oneself from lead exposure during casting/smelting. Take as many precautions as you feel necessary, but in my experience, most of them aren't necessary.

Regards,

Stew
    Last edited by AZ-Stew; 03-04-2009 at 07:03 PM.
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    Signs and symptoms in adults
    Although children are primarily at risk, lead poisoning is also dangerous to adults. Signs and symptoms of lead poisoning in adults may include:

* Pain, numbness or tingling of the extremities
    * Muscular weakness
    * Headache
    * Abdominal pain
    * Memory loss
    * Mood disorders
    * Reduced sperm count, abnormal sperm

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/lea...068/DSECTION=2
    wow I voted too soon
    * Pain, numbness or tingling of the extremities ^^ Yep but they called it neve damage
    * Muscular weakness ^^I am 40 of course I have some loss
    * Headache^^ yeah but I have been married for 20 years
    * Abdominal pain ^^Nope ( yeah one no )
    * Memory loss ^^what was the last quistion oh yeah CRS
    * Mood disorders^^ not any more the prozac helps that
    * Reduced sperm count, abnormal sperm^^ I never looked and it is too late I fixed now anyhow

Boolit Buddy
    When you shoot, don't sniff the smoke. Let it blow away before you look into the chamber. The biggest source of poisoning is the lead vaporized in gunsmoke. Then was your hands before eating or drinking. My levels are 1/10th of the allowable. Ace

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    I'm more worried about carbon monoxide. I worked in a factory that had no ventilation and used propane powered forklifts. All of us stayed sick. The plant president had the nerve to say that propane didn't produce carbon monoxide. We bought a meter from wallyworld and checked the level several times that night. We stayed at three times the max safe level. They finally switched to electric lifts after that, but I fear it may have been too late. I can't handle being around car exhaust now. I get sick very quick. I shoot outside. I smelt outside. I cast outside. I tumble my brass outside. God willing I wont get much exposure, outside.

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

In Remembrance
    I just read an interesting thread about lead poisoning. It says some things I was never aware of.
    I have not read all 9 pages of this thread to see if 'hair' has been covered, but I will assume it has not.

Therefore, you might like to look this over...
    http://shilohrifle.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13181

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Buddy

Thumbs up

I have been smelting and handling pure lead, and shooting boolits in front stuffers for over 12 years. When I retired from the navy in 2003, they required a full physical - I asked the docs if they could check my blood lead levels, and I told them why -- with no 'raised' eyebrows from the doc - just an "ok, sure".
    Anyway, my lead levels came out "high normal", and he said that everything was where it should be (blood levels, that is). He told me to just continue to do what I do, it was obviously not 'poisoning' me - and to continue to wash hands thoroughly before handling any food.

Knowledge is power. Shared knowlege is awesome.

Boolit Mold
    Because I smoke and cast a lot, I had my levels checked back in the winter..While it showed some lead, the doc assured me it was well within the "normal" level.

Boolit Bub
    Update on me, 4 months after finding my blood Pb had shot up from 0 to 16 mcg/dl in a year... good news is that I'm down to 10 after 4 months of taking better care of exposing myself to my hobby Pb.

I had a 4 month later blood test done last week. 4 months ago when I discovered I was up at 16, I bought a lead dust respirator ($25), and started wearing it when handling my case tumbler and when I do casting. I also started paying better attention to having a fan behind me blowing air at me and away from me when casting in my garage with all the doors open, and I also made a much stronger effort to wash my hands well after handling anything that might have lead on it.

I'm glad to see that some combination of these things seems to have gotten my lead exposure under control.

Boolit Bub
    After hearing about how bad lead is.......I wondered about how I would test, so I ask for a lead test - especially when I recalled how many times Dad told me "to get the lead out". Grew up playing with lead soldiers - some that we cast. Helped Dad plumb by stuffing oakem into pipe before we poured in the lead, worked with solder that contained lead, shot thousands of lead bullets, began working in construction in the 50's and have no idea how many houses, deck plates, etc that I have sanded, wire brushed, chipped or scrapped the lead paint from during the last 60 years. I have reloaded with my own equipment since the mid-sixties and have no idea how many wheel weights I have melted or shot shells I have loaded. All that to say that after 69 years - My blood test for lead was great. Although for the last 20 years I did get a little smarter and used a mask, or respirator and washed my hands right after smelting or sanding old paint. I think that the hazard of lead is blown way out of proportion to serve another agenda. I always wonder how many window sills a kid would have to eat to equal the amount of lead an old time house painter had ingested - and where is the kid's mother?

Boolit Master
    I had it checked for the first time. I had to convince the doctor to do the test. She said it wouldn't be necessary. It was 42.5. The doctors office notified the state workers health people.

I have been casting and shooting indoors a LOT, so this explains it. I bought some rubber gloves and only shoot out side for now. Much more careful about what and how I do things. I am also a weldor which makes things worse. I go back for anther test in 60 days. I can tell the difference already. My hands and feet were falling asleep easily.

The doctor said they do not treat unless its over 50.

David

Boolit Buddy
    Back in the 50's (1950's), tooth paste and other items, such as thosethat now come in plastic tubes; used to come in lead tubes. How things have changed!

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

I believe they were tin not lead.

But then again?

Quote Originally Posted by centershot View Post
    For the vast majority of us casting bullets is not a problem, relative to lead poisoning. If you are careful not to eat, drink or smoke until AFTER you have washed your hands (while casting/handling lead), you're probably OK! The majority of high lead levels among casters & shooters can usually be traced back to lots of shooting on an indoor range. You'll pick up a lot more lead from the spent primer residue in the gunsmoke than you will by casting bullets!

centershot

"Only two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity.......and I'm not sure about the universe."

Albert Einstein
    Ive only been to an indoor range once in my life. It was so closed in that I couldnt enjoy shooting anyway, but even tho it said it was well ventilated it certainly didnt seem to be.
    I only shoot outdoors now.

I just started casting bullets officially today so I really want to make sure not to get into bad habits from the start, especially since I live in an apt and have to bring my melter and tools inside when Im done.

We dont shoot a lot so I dont think Ill be getting a ton of exposure anyway.

If a person is only casting for 2 hours once a month or so and only doing so outside, also being careful about clean hands and such, would that person be pretty ok about lead not being too much of a problem ?

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

You Sir should be fine. You probably have a greater risk factor with your Chinese coffee mug.

Boolit Bub
    8 Months ago, I was at 22. I'd been shooting indoors a bunch. I quit shooting indoors, but started to cast my own. Just got my lead tested last week. I'm at 11. I guess casting has no effect on my lead levels.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    An indoor range should have its exhaust fans at the target area. If you cannot hear the fans running big time when no one is shooting, you can bet the lead levels in your blood will skyrocket. Insist on having the best squirrel cage fans installed, and make sure they are connected to/with the target light switch. This makes sure the fans come on when the target is in view. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Bub
    Felix, I quit that range. Its a very old range which has very poor ventilation. I've been in many other indoor ranges that are top notch for air quality... Its good to know that lead levels will drop in time...
    Will

Boolit Bub

just had mine done for the first time.

I remeber as a kid I would use my teeth to remove the lead bullet from 22's in order to get the gunpowder out of them. I distinctly remember chewing on a couple because they tasted sweet. When I started casting my wife had a cow, and thought I was gonna die of lead poisoning, well I tried to show her data on lead but she is as stubborn as I am. so I got tested and it turned out I was only a 3. Doc just called and told me. I didn't notice any long term effects from chewing on lead, but it was at a time when "experts" say it is the worst for you, when your brain is developing.

Boolit Master
    I'd better get mine checked, since I've noticed that my boat rides a little lower in the water lately.

Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast